Winter Riding Videos

winterwheel

On 3/2/2020 at 6:23 AM, winterwheel said:

In the past I've posted a couple of videos riding along the shoreline of this lake (Astotin Lake, Elk Island National Park), this is the first time it's been good to ride out on the lake itself. Last summer we did a bit of kayaking in this exact spot. I like this because it shows just how much of a breeze it is to ride on icy surfaces with a big wheel, in this case a KS-18XL. No studs or modifications of any kind made to this wheel before taking it out here.

Nice! Impressive you can actually ride on ice with no mods to the wheel! What's the approach? Extra-gentle riding, no brusque movements...?

BTW, I really like the short, teaser-like format of your videos, it always leaves me wanting for more! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, travsformation said:

Nice! Impressive you can actually ride on ice with no mods to the wheel! What's the approach? Extra-gentle riding, no brusque movements...?

BTW, I really like the short, teaser-like format of your videos, it always leaves me wanting for more! 

If there's any texture to the ice surface at all, either a bumpy ice or a little bit of snow on top, I find it's super-easy to ride. It's only the glassy smooth black-ice type surfaces that require extra care. I've also noticed that in winter I ride as far forward on the pedals as I can, that allows me to keep forward momentum without having to do too much leaning.

The note on the videos is much appreciated, although I have to say if I make the videos any longer Mrs Winterwheel gets distracted and wanders off to pet the cat or whatever so then I know I have to cut them back a bit.:mellow:

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 5:23 AM, winterwheel said:

... it shows just how much of a breeze it is to ride on icy surfaces with a big wheel ...

Nice video but it would be interesting to show some turning and stopping - I suspect that's the bit that most folk would be worried about when it comes to snow and ice. 

9 hours ago, winterwheel said:

If there's any texture to the ice surface at all, either a bumpy ice or a little bit of snow on top, I find it's super-easy to ride. It's only the glassy smooth black-ice type surfaces that require extra care. I've also noticed that in winter I ride as far forward on the pedals as I can, that allows me to keep forward momentum without having to do too much leaning.

Like @mike_bike_kite, I'd also be interested in how you handle mounting, turning and stopping :)

9 hours ago, winterwheel said:

The note on the videos is much appreciated, although I have to say if I make the videos any longer Mrs Winterwheel gets distracted and wanders off to pet the cat or whatever so then I know I have to cut them back a bit.

But your videos are rarely even 1min.! I'm a millennial and I have at least a 2' attention span :efee612b4b:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Nice video but it would be interesting to show some turning and stopping - I suspect that's the bit that most folk would be worried about when it comes to snow and ice. 

58 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Like @mike_bike_kite, I'd also be interested in how you handle mounting, turning and stopping :)

But your videos are rarely even 1min.! I'm a millennial and I have at least a 2' attention span :efee612b4b:

Okay, I'll try to work something up. We should have enough ice around still to make this happen.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2020 at 7:23 AM, winterwheel said:

In the past I've posted a couple of videos riding along the shoreline of this lake (Astotin Lake, Elk Island National Park), this is the first time it's been good to ride out on the lake itself. Last summer we did a bit of kayaking in this exact spot. I like this because it shows just how much of a breeze it is to ride on icy surfaces with a big wheel, in this case a KS-18XL. No studs or modifications of any kind made to this wheel before taking it out here.

My brother broke his so-so leg.