Hi, where are all the EUCs?

Introducing me:

No I don't have an EUC but I favour their presence and they are a useful answer to many of the transport issues in a cramped city.

I have ridden a unicycle for recreation and genuine transport. While not as universally applicable to filling transport needs as an EUC, for the last six years of my working life (I'm retired) the unicycle was my daily commute - rain or shine - the 18 kms into Perth for every working day bar 4 days off for injury.

I'm retired now, arthritis and other issues are catching up and I've moved to the inner city. As a result I do about half the distance each year as I was doing when I retired. But that is still a satisfying amount. I meter my distances and my hope is that I will get to 100,000km before I finally drop off the perch. So far I am 62,000.

I hope that I will see a few more EUC's and that if anyone here spots me around Perth, you might stop for a chat and to show me your ride. I'm easy to spot - I'm old, and anyone on a unicycle in Perth who is not performing is probably going to me.

Just in case, the the pic below, though I am never that formal, usually just a singlet and black riding knicks.

eb9f256486cc64278a5845e69eea86ce.jpg?imw

My question - Where are all the EUCs?

In my many MANY hours riding around Perth I seldom see an EUC.

Which is a pity. Because I have been following the development of them since way back (when the term was SBU - Self Balancing Unicycle - and they were all hand built) with interest.

I believe they are, along with the current range of electric skateboards, electric scooters and the like, as close to an ideal form of serious day to day urban transport. They are an answer to many of the problems of congestion, cars, high infrastructure costs and environment. They are light enough that they can be carried if the batteries fail (try carrying a Segway!), you can carry them into shops, the office  etc, no need for a lock, they can easily be put in the car boot, they can be taken on public transport.

Other than legalities (that'll eventually be sorted out), about the only shortcoming I see is that the batteries are, I assume, to large to take on a commercial passenger aircraft (IATA regulations limit to 100Watt-Hours). Hardly a significant issue for most people.

So, where are all your EUCs? Where do people ride? Apparently not where I do. :(

• Like 3

If you look at https://euc.world

You get some sort of overview of where people rides. Keep in mind info/tours are made on android platform only. 

There might be other places to look too. But above is a starting point. Next could be looking at "local" dealers if there is any in your country.

Some make Facebook groups too. 

I'm interested more is where in Perth they are. Sorry, I should have made my clearer.

With the amount of riding I do with a few kms of the CBD I  would expect heaps as a form of getting to and from work along Mts Bay Road, the east west railway path, RIverside Drive etc as well as around the Perth Central and Elizabeth Quay train stations, path along the south side of the river from WIndan Bridge to The Narrows.

Add to that recreational - I have seen one at Optus Stadium more than once but, offhand, I can't think of another.

Maybe it's just that not many have been bought. That would also suprise me, they are not majorly expensive.

31 minutes ago, ColinOldAndCranky said:

I'm interested more is where in Perth they are. Sorry, I should have made my clearer.

With the amount of riding I do with a few kms of the CBD I  would expect heaps as a form of getting to and from work along Mts Bay Road, the east west railway path, RIverside Drive etc as well as around the Perth Central and Elizabeth Quay train stations, path along the south side of the river from WIndan Bridge to The Narrows.

Add to that recreational - I have seen one at Optus Stadium more than once but, offhand, I can't think of another.

Maybe it's just that not many have been bought. That would also suprise me, they are not majorly expensive.

According to the euc.world heat map, riders in Perth (or perhaps just a single rider) are here:

2020-02-25-02-33-18-Take-control-of-your

But, no public tours shown in that area, so whoever they/(s)he is/are, they're clearly shy ;)

Of course, this data is only representative of EUC riders using Android, and more specifically, the EUC World app...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Colin.  My reply is like 7 months late after your post. But I just thought I would point out that there are a growing number of euc riders in Perth and some of them are active in another post on this forum i've copied in below

This post one was started all the way back in 2015, but there are still several current riders that check in and arrange rides to this day.

All the best, 

Steve

• 1 month later...

EUC are illegal for public space use in Perth/WA at the moment and only legally allowed to be used on private property. However judging by the posts over the last few years a small group has been using them regularly in quite visible locations. River foreshores etc. and have not , it seems, had any encounters with the boys (and girls) in blue. One poster said they are so few and such a novety it is not an issue. Additionally I don't think there are shops (any more) on that side of the country. And for those thinking (like I was) of purchasing from China/aliexpress it appears that the Federal Dept. of Infrastructure requires that you get a letter from them (import approval) saying it (the EUC) is not a road vehicle and you need to present this to customs to have your wheel released. To get the letter you need to offer proof of purchase BEFORE they will let you know if you can import the wheel. You need to also pay them $50. They mention this requirement is not legislated. So it seems a bit like something they just made up, a bit like a shake down.

Anyway, given EUCs technically can not be legally used and are difficult to aquire will no doubt explain why you see so few around. On my cycles down south of Perth I see a few quite a few e-boards and e-bikes (so far no EUCs) which don't appear legal so it seems they are being imported and being riden without consequence. I have read that maybe in a few months there will be national recommendation to allow PMD, probably similar to Qld rules. But government moves slow. Probably a year before legislation OKs them and no doubt with many restrictions. Which may explain why those who have them don't worry and use the anyway.

It would be interesting to hear from those who have them in WA. Where did you get them, any hassles with the law? The fat unicyclist's sister?