First Ride

AngryJackPCB

I'm just a little younger than you and also started on the 16x about 4 months ago, I've had limited time to ride but do well enough to ride with relative ease but I'm admittedly baby stepping my way into this, I have a repaired should and one that needs to be so I'm especially careful.  Another member here recommended to me to try to ride in tighter areas that require a lot of turning where I was tending to ride in open parking lots and such, this will make turning second nature where I was tending to think too much, still do but getting better.  Enjoy your 16x!

• Like 1

Awesome Jack! You've got a few years on me but glad you're enjoying it. It really is like crack. We got ours about the same time but you were smarter to get a faster one. I got a cheap ninebot e+ just as a toy and am now totally obsessed and am already dreaming for something with more power. Just keep at it and be safe!  I've just started  commuting a few miles a day just to get some more time on it since it's hard to make time otherwise. But I've had 2 pretty good falls, one when I could barely start freely and was still learning. Didn't listen to my body well and pushed my legs/feet too hard and couldn't recover into a turn and ate it with no gear on and still have a sore elbow a month later. Second time I just pushed my wheel too hard and was fortunately smart enough to wear my gear  and just ended up with some sore muscles vs an actual hurt arm with road rash like last time😳. Just have fun and keep at it man, it will get more and more natural quickly

• Like 1

So I took QuickSilver's suggestion and started riding in a more confined space. I was staying at a hotel so I used their parking lot. Pretty soon I was able to have a lot more control and turn without flailing.

Yesterday I rode almost 5 miles with high winds at a max of 22 MPH At one point it clicked on how to turn. One of my knees contacted the side of the euc and my knees were slightly bent, i accidentally made a very coordinated turn. This this is so much fun. I'm shooting for 10 miles today since the temp will be warmer and the winds not so strong.

• Like 3

Jealous my ass!  Wow, you are moving right along! Congrats on your newly found joy. I've a shade over 200mi on mine and still havent gotten overly comfy on it. You sound like a natural. I ride with my legs on the wheel a lot. Seems I steer with my calves more than my feet sometimes. I am impressed you got your muscle tone up to snuff in such a short time! Took me almost 2 mos to quit being sore after short rides. Try the hard setting. Dont let it scare you, its not gna jump out from under you. You may find it works much better, especially if you (like me) ride in softer stuff sometimes.  Keep us posted with your journeys!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2020 at 8:10 AM, AngryJackPCB said:

So I took QuickSilver's suggestion and started riding in a more confined space. I was staying at a hotel so I used their parking lot. Pretty soon I was able to have a lot more control and turn without flailing.

Yesterday I rode almost 5 miles with high winds at a max of 22 MPH At one point it clicked on how to turn. One of my knees contacted the side of the euc and my knees were slightly bent, i accidentally made a very coordinated turn. This this is so much fun. I'm shooting for 10 miles today since the temp will be warmer and the winds not so strong.

Thats awesome you are doing great and having fun! I'm a newbie and I put on over a 100 miles before winter returned....lol. Find a school yard on a Sunday where you can ride around with no distractions like cars or people . Work on tighter turns ,figure 8's etc. 

Glad to hear your wearing full protection! Being old (i'm 60) hitting the ground, which I did once (slow turn tip over) showed me the benefits of full protection. I went from a Snowboard Helmet on my first day to my Full Face MX Helmet which I will always ride with!

Have Fun Be Safe! Post video of your riding!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Jealous my ass!  Wow, you are moving right along! Congrats on your newly found joy. I've a shade over 200mi on mine and still havent gotten overly comfy on it. You sound like a natural. I ride with my legs on the wheel a lot. Seems I steer with my calves more than my feet sometimes. I am impressed you got your muscle tone up to snuff in such a short time! Took me almost 2 mos to quit being sore after short rides. Try the hard setting. Dont let it scare you, its not gna jump out from under you. You may find it works much better, especially if you (like me) ride in softer stuff sometimes.  Keep us posted with your 

Thanks for the tips and encouragement from everyone. I am still sore but I'm pushing through the pain. Ride every day it's not too windy or raining. This weekend I'm aiming for 50+ miles. Thanks again to all.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:16 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Jealous my ass!  Wow, you are moving right along! Congrats on your newly found joy. I've a shade over 200mi on mine and still havent gotten overly comfy on it. You sound like a natural. I ride with my legs on the wheel a lot. Seems I steer with my calves more than my feet sometimes. I am impressed you got your muscle tone up to snuff in such a short time! Took me almost 2 mos to quit being sore after short rides. Try the hard setting. Dont let it scare you, its not gna jump out from under you. You may find it works much better, especially if you (like me) ride in softer stuff sometimes.  Keep us posted with your journeys!

Thanks for the tip Shane!

So last night I changed my ride setting to Expert. It feels much easier to control breaking now. I thought by the terms"Hard Brake and Hard Acceleration" it would be harder to break or speed up. But to my surprise, its much easier. I love it. Last weekend I struggled to make it up some steep hills. I had to stop to reposition my feet more forward to help me make it up.

Think I'm going to need the foam thinks you add so your shin can push on the wheel to help you go faster.

1 hour ago, AngryJackPCB said:

So last night I changed my ride setting to Expert.

Sidenote: the naming of the KS ride modes is very misleading. It's just soft, medium, hard mode. The ride mode is only a matter of personal preference and has nothing to do with riding skills or how hard it is to ride.

Glad you're enjoying your wheel!

• Like 3

Interesting that some of you are turning with your knees and calves. 

When I first started I was using my feet first, then lower legs. Then I watched some of Hirsute's tutorials and I felt that he was turning with his shoulders.

I tried that and find it some much easier to start a turn with my shoulders and the lower body follows along with the wheel just follows. I get much smoother turns this way that when I use my legs to turn. I have at most 200 miles on the wheel (odo was not working for a while till the 2.0 upgrade). I have to start doing the one leg drills as my starts are still iffy when I'm not paying attention.