Versatile Protective Gear for Fingers

Yesterday I had my first big crash when I was going downhill relatively fast. Some cracks on the road destabilized me and the wobble of death propelled me forward :blink:

My Tesla got an ugly road rash on the left side but it seems fine. Fortunately I am also fine because I was geared up and my Flexmeters saved the day. The thing is that the road rash disintegrated my thin cotton gloves (full finger) and the impact extended some of my fingers a little bit too much. Nothing is broken (I think) although they hurt.

Now I am wondering which possibilities we have to protect our fingers from overextending when falling.

I found some users here recommending Knox gloves, but I don't think you can use them with Flexmeters, plus they seem to be really hot for summer. Preferably I'd like more versatile options which you can wear with anything, like Flexmeters or Leatt dual axis.

Surprisingly I couldn't find much on the internet regarding finger protection (untapped market here?) :unsure:

The options I found are either expensive, not really protective, not appropriate, focused on correction not prevention, and/or a PITA to put them on and off:

And it gets as ridiculous as it can get imagine myself with all these things on my fingers :facepalm:

Is there any reasonable option out there that offers versatility to wear with/without gloves?

On 2/14/2020 at 12:11 PM, euccommuter said:

Surprisingly I couldn't find much on the internet regarding finger protection (untapped market here?) :unsure:

Maybe the progauntlets: :P

They are just a "bit" expensive, have no(t too much) inside/palm protection but the outer exoskelet seems to be really nice!

And it seems like they can't be worn together with the flexmeter

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:11 PM, euccommuter said:

Yesterday I had my first big crash when I was going downhill relatively fast. Some cracks on the road destabilized me and the wobble of death propelled me forward :blink:

My Tesla got an ugly road rash on the left side but it seems fine. Fortunately I am also fine because I was geared up and my Flexmeters saved the day. The thing is that the road rash disintegrated my thin cotton gloves (full finger) and the impact extended some of my fingers a little bit too much. Nothing is broken (I think) although they hurt.

Now I am wondering which possibilities we have to protect our fingers from overextending when falling.

I found some users here recommending Knox gloves, but I don't think you can use them with Flexmeters, plus they seem to be really hot for summer. Preferably I'd like more versatile options which you can wear with anything, like Flexmeters or Leatt dual axis.

The options I found are either expensive, not really protective, not appropriate, focused on correction not prevention, and/or a PITA to put them on and off:

And it gets as ridiculous as it can get imagine myself with all these things on my fingers :facepalm:

Is there any reasonable option out there that offers versatility to wear with/without gloves?

You don't need flexmeters for high speed crashes. You need gloves with sliders, such as the Knox gloves. The flexmeters are best for hard low-speed impacts where you fall nearly vertically. When going fast you need sliders to avoid your wrist to grip the pavement, overextend and break. Flexmeters also do this of course, but as you noticed they don't protect your fingers.

I no longer wear wrist guards when riding. I only use motorcycle gloves with sliders. (I have Knox gloves and very happy with them).

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Maybe the progauntlets: :P

Lol, while they look amazing I don't think they are good for our purposes as they are engineered with gripping materials in mind (and we want the opposite). Plus with this price you can buy a high-end super-moto gauntlets :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

I only use motorcycle gloves with sliders. (I have Knox gloves and very happy with them).

Yes, after my incident I am seriously considering the Knox Handroid because it seems to have so kind of reinforcement for the fingers, but I cannot ignore the fact that some people (from super-moto forums) pointed out that this kind of protection is a gimmick. See: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/knox-handoids.246413/#post-2951102

Although I guess that they were talking about the first Handroid and maybe things have changed in the Mk IV version.

I'm also considering the Knox Biomech Glove, Held Titan Evo, and the Held Phantom II, but I could spend days reading about them without reaching a conclusion...

@ir_fuel can you wear your Knox gloves during summer without dehydrating? This is a special point for me as I sweat easily :whistling: