MSX / MSP - ankle flic, or what???

Referring to this Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/2715795715185041/

I'm afraid to say the words "ankle-flic", but after all the drama around the 16X ankle-flic, I just need to know what's on the videos. 

The 16X is supposed to be so powerless at 45km/h that you can do an ankle-flic at that speed and this is the reason for all the faceplants. 

If I see that correctly in the two videos, with the MSX and MSP this is even possible while standing!? :confused1:

To be fair, you have to really have in your mind the intention to snap the wheel forward, but it's possible on basically any wheel, especially GW wheels. I can do this on the Nikola, MCM5, basically all InMotion wheels, basically all King Song wheels, etc. Normal riders would never torque the wheel forward this hard unless they were really trying.

I'm surprised the MSP is harder to snap in that post. From my tests with @Flyboy10, we really didn't notice a difference in torque between the 1800wh MSP and the 1230wh MSX. Maybe we didn't test it thoroughly enough, as others are reporting more torque from the MSP, but I can't really feel any noticable gain in torque over the MSX even though I know that the motor is designed for just that.

Maybe it's just me...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, buell47 said:

If I see that correctly in the two videos, with the MSX and MSP this is even possible while standing!? :confused1:

In this videos there was imho not too much to be seen - espacially compared to the "old" KS16X videos?

But anyhow - that should still be the best way to destroy a wheel. Push it hard forward and backward while standing :ph34r:. As far as i remember the latest GW statements were, that GW has no current/power limiting - if this is true such repeated hard pushing from standstill should extremely heat up mosfets and motor wires...

Most presumanbly there could be some slight firmware differences between the MSP and MSX in how to handle the stress while starting from standstill.

Anyhow the "available" motor torque from standstill cannot be used with any wheel - it would fry the electronics, so there is somehow always some limiting by firmware. Explicitely implemented or somehow implicitely happening.

15 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

I can do this on the Nikola, MCM5, basically all InMotion wheels, basically all King Song wheels, etc.

From older KS statements there was (still is?) current/power limiting for low speeds with KS wheels. Most presumably also with Inmotion wheels...

Still i would not try with any wheel to hold on a table/whatever and push the wheel forward and backward as strong as i can.

... even if i really don't like the wheel owner...

• Like 2

I have no experience in this matter and that's why I'm asking, because after some faceplant reports and the ankle-flic story there's always a bad feeling, even if I haven't noticed anything negative so far.

When someone (whose name I can't remember) came up with the ankle-flics and this was confirmed by a few others over time, it sounded like the 16X was faulty. My general technical understanding also told me that one could certainly do this with any wheel if one wanted to and dared to do it while riding.

Edited by buell47

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

But anyhow - that should still be the best way to destroy a wheel.

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

till i would not try with any wheel to hold on a table/whatever and push the wheel forward and backward as strong as i can.

... even if i really don't like the wheel owner...

:roflmao:Thank you for your amusing and helpful reply.

Ok, I was curious about this and decided to try snapping the MSP forward. To my surprise, it was in fact much more difficult! I could never get it to snap even close to the degree that I can other GW wheels. Also, for some reason, power delivery feels smoother on the MSP than on my 1845wh MSX, and it feels smoother to ride. I can't put my finger on it, but it does seem to have a bit more get-up-and-go than the 1845wh 100v MSX (which weighs the same as the MSP). Though, compared to the lighter 1230wh MSX, the MSP still feels about the same if not a slight bit less zippy. The pedal angle on our MSP is pretty extreme, but after transitioning back to my 1845wh MSX, it felt like it was harder to stay locked into the wheel as I had become used to the crazy pedal angle on the MSP. Though, I can't say I would prefer the MSP's angle for long rides, as my feet started to hurt even after a short test ride around the block.

• Like 3