Kingsong 16x with strange knocking noise

Germandsc

Hi everyone!

i have my Ks16x for about 2 months, with aprox 300 kmts on it. Today i started hearing a strange knocking sound (without any recent fall, actually the wheel havent had any big fall ever). The sound comes in once or twice every wheel lap. It doesnt sound at all when im riding, but when i take it with the handle It does. It even sounds when i lay the wheel on the floor and spin the wheel with my hands. Its not the valve. The sound seems to come from inside the motor. The sound sometimes comes louder and sometimes quiet, regardles speed of rotation. Sometimes it can sound loud even if I slightly and very slowly rotate throught that portion on the wheel.

it also seems that the sound “activates itself” when I incline the wheel to one side, and then goes off when i incline it to the other side (see video). It may also activate itself when i try to lift the wheel (when i take preassure of it axis) and it goes off of when i preasure it against the ground. 

I have inspected inside it with a flashlight but i see nothing strange. I havent opened it yet. I dont know if that will go against warranty.

https://youtu.be/20-DFNC3iy0

Please help!!! 

Hi,

I had a similar problem with ks-18l.
The knocks came also while driving, once they were quiet, once louder or for a moment it was quiet.
This was probably due to loosened and bented engine cover, which has been replaced with a new one.

Check that the bonnet screws are not loose. Don't break any of the screws. 
In addition, I also had a cracked inner plastic housing when attached to the footrest bracket.

The housing has been welded.

• 7 months later...

I am having a bad knocking sound on my 18XL, Trying to figure out what it is, wondering if its the trolley handle that is loose, ill check the screws on the motor, I think i heard it going slow, and it was loud, wondering if a screw got lose or something. will have to take apart tonight.

• 8 months later...

Just noticed this in my 16S.

A knocking sound at each rotation, at the same position, and only when turning in one direction. Strange enough when turning the wheel backward a little and forward again, the sound doesn’t appear. It only does after a full circle.

I suspect it might be a bit of broken magnet (or whole unstuck) that lays in such an angle that only one direction make it knock.

Quite annoying to have to open the motor after only 4000km and no major crashes but I see no other explanation. (No crap in the well etc)

Edited by null

@null I'm interested in what you discover. Then maybe we start thinking about causes and possibly even life time (of wheel) costs. How much life expectancy should we expect out of these wheels and how much difference there is between manufacturers. Sorry, you just got me to thinking about this stuff. :P

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 4:45 PM, Roadpower said:

@null I'm interested in what you discover. Then maybe we start thinking about causes and possibly even life time (of wheel) costs. How much life expectancy should we expect out of these wheels and how much difference there is between manufacturers. Sorry, you just got me to thinking about this stuff. :P

Sure, I’ll share as soon as I get there, which is toward the end of summer for various reasons :) 

edit: It was a bearing, replaced them and it was beck to smooth.

Edited by null

• 1 year later...

My second s16x just developed a mechanical click, once per revolution, only when riding, silent when trolleying, nothing visually in the wheel well, tire is at pressure.

Louder when leaning to one side, nearly silent when leaning to the other.

Would be lovely if some of the earlier posters had followed up with resolution findings... perhaps they all quit riding their noisy wheels? Hope not.

On 5/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, TonesNotes said:

My second s16x just developed a mechanical click

The knocking issue has become much more common in EUCs since the original posts. The bearing is seated badly, or worn just the right way for the issue to manifest itself. That’s what causes your knock.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2023 at 5:36 PM, TonesNotes said:

My second s16x just developed a mechanical click, once per revolution, only when riding, silent when trolleying, nothing visually in the wheel well, tire is at pressure.

Louder when leaning to one side, nearly silent when leaning to the other.

Would be lovely if some of the earlier posters had followed up with resolution findings... perhaps they all quit riding their noisy wheels? Hope not.

You could try re-greasing the bearings ? Worked for me on a Master to fix a similar knocking...