Shell integrity: Nikola vs MSX

Still weighing my options for my next wheel. I think I have it narrowed down to the new MSX Pro, or a 100V Nikola 21700. I absolutely love the look of the Nikola over the MSX, but the videos of people tearing it up at the skate park on a MSX kinda makes me want to go that direction. I've heard that the regular MSX shell is prone to cracks. Is it still more resilient than the Nikola shell? If so, do you think a neoprene cover similar to the ones @The Fat Unicyclist makes would even things out?

13 minutes ago, Cory Brown said:

Still weighing my options for my next wheel. I think I have it narrowed down to the new MSX Pro, or a 100V Nikola 21700. I absolutely love the look of the Nikola over the MSX, but the videos of people tearing it up at the skate park on a MSX kinda makes me want to go that direction. I've heard that the regular MSX shell is prone to cracks. Is it still more resilient than the Nikola shell? If so, do you think a neoprene cover similar to the ones @The Fat Unicyclist makes would even things out?

MSX shell breaks pretty easily

There are russian fiberglass shells you can get on ebay to protect it; that's what I'm doing for my 100 volt

The Nikola seems a bit more durable.

Regarding neoprene, I put tons of the stuff on my MSX and the shell still broke in a bunch of places after a few drops above 30mph

Does the Nikola do anything better than the MSuper's?

I think only:

• Cheaper (@ 84V 1600wh)
  • Speakers
  • Blinky lights
  • Pedals (can swap to MSuper)

Love my MSX, no regrets. Covered it in foam, many crashes and tumbles at <20mph, no cracks yet for me. I'll leave the 30+ stuff for someone else.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Does the Nikola do anything better than the MSuper's?

I think only:

• Cheaper (@ 84V 1600wh)
  • Speakers
  • Blinky lights
  • Pedals (can swap to MSuper)

Love my MSX, no regrets. Covered it in foam, many crashes and tumbles at <20mph, no cracks yet for me. I'll leave the 30+ stuff for someone else.

The handle on the Nik is a bit more usable, but also at risk of breaking if it pops out in a crash (add velcro to keep it in). The handle port on the MSX shell is terrible for allowing water in as well.