Ninebot E+ incorrect battery readings

Vitos

Dears,

recently I got interested in EUCs, so I bought second handed E+ with low total mileage (<300km). I really enjoy its 16'' wheel combined with its overall compactness and lightweight. But it seems that something is not correct with battery level reading, because my unit cuts-off when the battery is just below 50% (a BMS cutoff? can't turn it on anymore untill connected to a charger). Needless to say, the very first one it happened to me was a big 'surprise', but fortunately nothing serious happened.

That first 50% of battery capacity let me ride 10-11km, and after a cut-off and restarting the unit the app shows that there's still 10 km remaining mileage... And the battery shows up to be about 53 volts.

I also own a small generic type 14'' wheel, and this unit beeps, rattles and tilts back after riding 4km or so, clearly warning me about low battery level. I have never got any warning from my E+.

It seems that the unit reads battery level just by distance taken, not real batterly usage, or voltage. I think that with my weight over 90kg/200lbs and cold temperature outside the distance of 10km of moderate speed riding is a reasonable amount. Would be nice, if the EUC have warned me then.

Or battery fault/depleted battery?

Any way to overcome it?

I did the same thing with an E+.  I am about 220lbs.  I've come to the conclusion that this wheel is not really designed for someone my size.  I've had two cut-offs when going up small inclines on pavement.  I'm very careful not to push the limit on the battery current.  I consider it a learner EUC and plan to upgrade once I've beat this one up enough.  I never ride it unless it is on a full charge and never ride it when the battery level drops below 50%.  I figure I'll get a few more months of enjoyment out of in then upgrade in the spring time.

@Travis Tompkins Thanks for your input. It looks I am not alone. I also keep watching battery level and ride peacefully when about 50%. But once I tried to push the battery to the limit riding slowly on grass (which needs much more power output from the battery), and last reading before cut off was 38% and 6 Amps, and my firend who held the phone stated that output current on that course had easily peaked to 11-12 A.

But to my point of view nothing is conclusive.

Too 'weak' wheel for someone about 200lbs? So what are REAL performance levels of this wheel?

Too low temperature? So will it improve over spring and summer? Doubt.

Battery aged/fault? Is there any way to measure it 'at home'? Btw. I was thinking about something like a bicycle dumb trainer, where you could put your wheel over an adjustable load to check its performance :)

Too restrictive (or rather to conservative) battery BMS module? There is a custom made battery replacement available:
https://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/"15S Ninebot"
I tried to contact them to get some answers, but got no reply. Anyway, would it help? Eventually, even with investing money on that replacement battery, it would be one of the cheapest options for a 16'' wheel.
I am also aware of a solution with shunting BMS output, but yeah, I can see if I can do it properly at my own. Same with BMS replacement or modding wheel with additional battery packs or so.

So I started to think different. Maybe specs of NOE+ are too optimistic and overrated? If I could just adjust warning level to about 50% of what is shown as a remaining battery capacity, it would result in more realistic performance levels yet much safer wheel at all.

Please, voice your oppinion here.

9 minutes ago, Vitos said:

But once I tried to push the battery to the limit riding slowly on grass (which needs much more power output from the battery), and last reading before cut off was 38% and 6 Amps, and my firend who held the phone stated that output current on that course had easily peaked to 11-12 A.

But to my point of view nothing is conclusive.

It's a very nice but old and low powered wheel. 38% is definitely a charge state were one should not expect full power from a wheel.

Too 'weak' wheel for someone about 200lbs?

Could easily be.

So what are REAL performance levels of this wheel?

What's your performance level you ask from the wheel?

With about 90kg i had never probs with the wheel - but i only accelerated/burdened the wheel at lower speeds, restricted this at medium speeds and drove very relaxed near max tiltback speed.

14 minutes ago, Vitos said:

Battery aged/fault?

Could easily be!

Is there any way to measure it 'at home'?

What voltage does the app report once fully charged!

Btw. I was thinking about something like a bicycle dumb trainer, where you could put your wheel over an adjustable load to check its performance :)

One member here ? @Rehab1? once dried something like this and the belt went off...

17 hours ago, Vitos said:

Too restrictive (or rather to conservative) battery BMS module?

Yes original 9B1 BMS is the weak point of this wheel, but I have 3 or 4 times (not on the same battery) replace it by a 16S "no name" BMS that give more security for driving. If cells are OK, you can try to do the same and you will found all details on following link :

Edited by smallexis
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 3:09 AM, Chriull said:

What's your performance level you ask from the wheel?

There is a basic mileage calculator in the Ninebot original app. It is 'hidden' under user settings, should definitely pop-up at first usage.

Neverthless, if I enter weight 95kg, outside temperature of 0 degree Celsius, choose 'Violent' style of ride (actually my style of riding is not 'violent', but I do several pretty steep up- and downhills every time, where increased battery drainage is obviously noticeable) and one year for used time (let's say), it gives me jus under 10 km autonomy, which is even slightly less of what I have experienced myself.

Would be nice, if that calculations were coupled somehow with warning level...

https://ibb.co/dWVXxWX

Here are two screens form the app combined to one picture. Left side there is a fully charged battery at 61.77V, the right one is after about 12km of calm cruising. 54% battery level is where I usually stop, 55.37V (so minimally under battery rating of 55.5V), and no hint of a warning. I have checked these values with multimeter, and they seem to be ok. But below 50% the cut-off is about to happen...

https://ibb.co/Df10MZP

Once I managed to 'lower' the battery to 38%. Here is a screen with last reading before cut-off:

https://ibb.co/jhNrLMV

My battery. Nothing suspicious, as far as I can tell. I wonder if you could tell me more about it. Does these serial codes provide date of manufacturing? What type of cells these are? What '2 - 1' on the BMS module states for?

https://ibb.co/ccb19k2
https://ibb.co/jZdv6w2
https://ibb.co/020dDbs
https://ibb.co/ZMBvXzk

There may be problem with faulty single cell. If possible, measure voltage of each cell in battery pack.