First Wheel Inspection

I just purchased and received my first wheel: a Gotway Tesla v2.

It arrived in New York from China in 1 week.

First Impressions:

Riding it is great. I feel like I'm gliding on a cloud. I find myself questioning why I ever walked anywhere. I'm very comfortable riding, both fast and slow, but still take wide turns. (On a sharper turn, I ended up scraping my pedals). Going slow (walking speed) is manageable with a lot of hand and core balance.

The bluetooth speakers do not have great sound quality (as I had expected from prior reviews), but are great for navigation or ambient noise to set the atmosphere.

The wheel itself looks sleek and well-finished, albeit a bit clunky and oddly-shaped. The black pedals are a really nice touch as the previous iteration had unpainted pedals and looked like it had been hobbled together.

Pictures
The bumpers haven't been installed yet, but I've already taken my first mini-spill. Going slow is harder than going fast.

Potential Issues:
As this is my first wheel, I am not sure what is and what isn't normal. These are items that stood out to me, so please help me as others may have a better frame of reference.

The box it arrived in was slightly wet. Box Pictures. The manual was wet, but there was no water on the wheel (perhaps it had evaporated since then). I'm not sure how to check for water damage.

When stationary, the wheel periodically rumbles, growling to take on the open streets again. Also there is an electrical whirring at times (sounds like a vacuum cleaner). Also when riding, it makes a whirring noise as if it's an electric car (this isn't constant, but rather comes on and off at certain speeds).

Please let me know if everything is a-ok! Riding is still great though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmPSyN said:

When stationary, the wheel periodically rumbles, growling to take on the open streets again. Also there is an electrical whirring at times (sounds like a vacuum cleaner). Also when riding, it makes a whirring noise as if it's an electric car (this isn't constant, but rather comes on and off at certain speeds).

All normal. The fan ( vacuum) seems to quite after a little time. 

You have a powerful wheel, please be careful...... and enjoy. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, EmPSyN said:

When most people get Gotways, they disable all the beeps (except the 3rd level beep that you CAN'T disable). Then they listen for the beeps to know when to back off. But the problem is, at speed you may not hear them. So my advice is to keep the tiltback enabled, and set to a reasonable speed for the Tesla, like 40kph / 25mph.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
43 minutes ago, I_Must_Bust said:

How was your learning experience with this wheel? I ordered one of these as well but 25 days later it's still in china :confused1:. Must be virus related somehow.

In general, long waits are normal even without the extra complications. Who did you order from? 

@RockyTop I ordered from the "Wheel Riders Store" on aliexpress which was the same place that Marty ordered from based on his review of the same model. I think he said it took about 45 days to arrive if I recall correctly so I'm not too worried yet. More worried that they seem to have messed up the address on the package judging by the shipping info so I'll need to contact fedex when it arrives in the US to make sure it gets to me.

1 minute ago, I_Must_Bust said:

@RockyTop I ordered from the "Wheel Riders Store" on aliexpress which was the same place that Marty ordered from based on his review of the same model. I think he said it took about 45 days to arrive if I recall correctly so I'm not too worried yet. More worried that they seem to have messed up the address on the package judging by the shipping info so I'll need to contact fedex when it arrives in the US to make sure it gets to me.

I am rarely ever home or at the office and don’t want to miss a wheel shipment because of the need of a signature so always have my wheels redirected. UPS goes to the UPS store and Fedex goes to the Walgreens in store fedex. 

I ordered a 3D printer from Aliexpress back in early March. It showed up in late July. They did send a notice in early June asking me not to file a fraud claim. They assured me that my item was on its way. Sorry for the delay.