EUC Wiki?

mike_bike_kite

Many forum sites (on other subjects) have a separate Wiki section that allows you to find the answer to common questions quickly rather than having to search around or ask the same question again and again. If you're not sure what a Wiki is then here is the one on the Modern Vespa forum. There is currently a thread on EUC batteries which should definitely be in a wiki.

We could also suggest other topics that other more knowledgeable folk might want to start. Topics like "How to get tyre pressure right", "How to clean your EUC", "EUC acroymns" etc etc. This would leave the main discussion areas cleaner rather than having lots of threads pinned. It would probably be best if anyone can edit any piece. Just a suggestion any way.

Mike

Funny you should suggest that! I fully agree, and I actually started writing a wiki on ”Common EUC issues and questions” several weeks ago. Unfortunately I’ve had to prioritize other things over this, so even when I don’t expect it to be 100% (or even 80%) finished when making public, I must still work with it before it will be of real use.

• Like 1

If there was simply a section (sub forum) called Wiki with a load of empty posts (or threads or skeleton entries or whatever you want to call them) with the titles of what you'd like to see. Then let others fill them in. It doesn't have to be original prose as most of the entries can be copied and pasted from existing threads. It might also  be good to have an entry for what people would like to see in future. 

My plan is to have a categorized and rather condensed list of issues and questions in a single thread (one post per sub-category), which I would add content to myself as more questions come to mind or arise. The thread itself would serve as a platform for everyone to request for and suggest content, but the sub-topics would be kept as short as possible with short single line answers and indeed links to posts where the subject has been discussed in more detail.

I’m hoping it will be a more uniform format to follow and faster to find content from than an actual open wiki would in this case.

That's great if you have the time to do this and an encyclopedic knowledge to handle all the different subjects that might arise. Usually wiki's are edited by members because it's much quicker to get things off the ground and it's more likely to get corrected if issues are found. I'm sure it would be possible to limit which users could edit (maybe 100 "likes" or by number of posts or just those given permission). If malicious edits do arise then you can usually rollback the edits to a previous good state. I'm not saying it's wrong you should do all the hard work, I'm just saying there are easier ways :)

• Like 1

https://xkcd.com/927/ <-- this but for wikis

There have been numerous wiki attempts over the years which just become outdated/abandoned after a few months. The scene is just too miniscule (beyond small) to have a critical mass of constant attention to keep them alive.

Not a wiki, but I do maintain this: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ag0ky7mWfH9cm9dMfvYothdqZtIsdw 

There have been numerous wiki attempts over the years which just become outdated/abandoned after a few months. The scene is just too miniscule (beyond small) to have a critical mass of constant attention to keep them alive.

Many questions here at the forum have been repeating for years, with answers and solutions that haven’t changed either. The point of the content is not at all to display anything EUC model specific (unless viable for some reason), but to offer solutions to issues that are common due to the way all EUCs are ridden and recharged, li-ion battery technology, tire size, Chinese manufacturing tolerances etc. Things that are not about to change any time soon, or ever.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2