Gotway Nikola with dc to dc converter?

Lavabo

Hello

Im wondering if i can use my DC tio DC to charge my Nikola 100v from my 12V car?

On the old Gotway there was only 3 Pins

Now the charger port is 5 pins if someone could lead me to the 2 extra pins

I would like to use my 12v from my chevrolet Volt to charge my wheel.

I have this dc to dc converter from an old project laying unused- i think i could use it to chargemy wheel

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32662329270.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27426c37AkOt77

image.png.aaaf6bbb224863c971fb3249f0a86946.pngimage.png.9f5fff2ec1c994d8cb828a3d70b066cb.png

Edited by Lavabo

50 minutes ago, Lavabo said:

Im wondering if i can use my DC tio DC to charge my Nikola 100v from my 12V car?

Take a look at the Wh of your cars battery and the Wh of your nikola.

51 minutes ago, Lavabo said:

On the old Gotway there was only 3 Pins

Now the charger port is 5 pins if someone could lead me to the 2 extra pins

Best to look how they are connected to the battery.

The 5 pin connector is most probably just to prevent customers to connect 84V chargers to the 100V nikola...

But as stated above look before if it makes any sense or just depletes your cars battery...

• Like 1

My chevrolet Volt 2014 has about 16 Kwh (10KWH -12 Kwh usable)  and the Nikola 1.845 Kwh

The 12V battery  is supplied by the 360V main battery!

When main Battery is depleted, the Volt (Chevrolet)  thermic engine start to fill it - its a generator since all motorisation is electric

So car battery is not a problem, and i want to stay safe using 12 V instead of 360V

The funny thing here is i have more range with the Nikola (about 100km)  than with the Chevy Volt (70-84km - i have it unlocked +20% battery)

Edited by Lavabo
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Lavabo said:

i want to stay safe using 12 V instead of 360V

The funny thing here is i have more range with the Nikola (about 100km)  than with the Chevy Volt (70-84km - i have it unlocked +20% battery)

The funny thing is that you want to build your own li-ion charger to "stay safe".

If you are well familiar with the CC and CV phases of li-ion charging and have checked that the safeguards are in place in the converter, go ahead. If not, I'd stay safe and only use the provided charger.

• Like 3

Says input current 0-15A and 85% efficiency. That means that if you try to upconvert 12V@15A to 100V you will get around 180w * 0.85 = 160w ~ 1.6A charge current.

That will take forever to charge a Nikola. Maybe ~12h.

I suggest to just use the original wall charger and a strong enough 12v ac converter. At least it'll charge faster.

If you wan't high efficiency you'll have to get a dc-dc converter that can take 360V. Theoretically you could try to find a larger chain and take out 50V but you'd possibly damage your car.

Check the electrical diagram of the car. Maybe the ignition circuit isn't 12V. Maybe you have higher voltage circuits you can tap into.

Edited by alcatraz