Good position 19-inch wheels?

Hello riders,

I am interested at this moment in the general positioning on a 19 inch wheel (MSX in particular).

With my old Tesla, it's not necessarily something I looked at but now with a big wheel, I think that the positioning of the feet on the pedals, the folding of the legs is not necessarily the same.

In order to have good acceleration and effective braking, what advice would you give? Are you tucking your feet in (duck mode)? Do your malleoli touch the hull? Do you bend your legs? etc.
Thank you all for your advice, it could serve the whole community I think.

1 hour ago, kelec_947 said:

In order to have good acceleration and effective braking, what advice would you give? 

Add some rigid pads to the front of your wheel for your shin to press against. This will allow you to put more pressure on the front of the wheel and will allow full acceleration

• Like 1

Acceleration pads as mentioned above, or Kuji-pads at the ankles, or an offset foot position (other foot 1-2” more forward than the other).

Soft riding mode also helps you accelerate and brake with a bit lesser effort.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kelec_947 said:

Hey @mrelwood ! It's not the opposite? I thought that hard mode was made for torque ? 

It’s not quite that simple. Riding an EUC is a dynamic situation where the rider also reacts to how the wheel responds. There is no ”more torque” mode. Also, the Gotway soft mode is very different from other manufacturers’ soft modes, and it indeed works like an acceleration and braking assist, making it easier to achieve a certain amount of lean than with an immediate rock hard response.

Just try it and let us know how it feels!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

It’s not quite that simple. Riding an EUC is a dynamic situation where the rider also reacts to how the wheel responds. There is no ”more torque” mode. Also, the Gotway soft mode is very different from other manufacturers’ soft modes, and it indeed works like an acceleration and braking assist, making it easier to achieve a certain amount of lean than with an immediate rock hard response.

Just try it and let us know how it feels!

This was my finding as well. I consider myself an aggressive rider, and I actually like the Gotway soft mode much more. It eats up the bumps, just a little bit, and is usually the best pick

Try the different modes.  I started with medium, though it was ok.  Tried soft, didn't really like it.  Now on hard mode and it's how I like to ride.

IMO, hard mode is more responsive from standstill. Acceleration from stop is slow no matter what the mode, acceleration when you are over 15-20kmh is pretty good. Try different things, you'll find something that works for you.

When mounting or in on/off traffic, I have my feet close to the shell.  For longer and faster stretches I go wider and hover more. I use different riding styles, it just depends on the situation, they are all good for something.

• Like 1

The biggest the wheel, the more "body" you will have to put effort in to really make the wheel react. The best way to put force by gaining maximum control and stability is to lower gravity center. Learning how to ride backwards usually helps better braking by allowing the brain to get used to "sit" on the back of your wheel to brake efficiently.

Takes a bit of time to get habit, but then most people don't get back on tinier wheels (except when weight does matters...).

I personally LOVE the GW soft mode (despite i'm driving my KS's and my GW MCM5 in hard mode) , and the wider the wheel, the most it's true for me.

About feet, i tend to use a duck stance on my non-primary foot, but the front of the foot to the outside. And my main foot closer to the normal, handling most of the direction. But i've had problems (bad reeducation after knee injury) and i must not be a reference.

Edited by Matthieu Thegrey
  • Like 1