Solowheel Glide 3 "clunking" sound when accelerating/decelerating

Mike Dobbs

SHORT VERSION: The wheel makes a "clunk" sound when accelerating from a stop, decelerating from a constant speed, or switching from acceleration to deceleration (or vice versa).
I can re-create the sound by powering wheel on and quickly moving it forward and backwards from the handle as you can see and hear in the below video.

LONGER VERSION: 

On my ride the other day I noticed a strange sort of clunk when I mounted the wheel from a stop at a traffic light.  It was subtle, and I wasn't even sure if I had imagined it at the time, so I just kept riding.  On subsequent stops I noticed the same "clunking" sound, and it was becoming more pronounced.  After I was convinced it was a real sound, and not my imagination, I tried alternating between accelerating and braking, and was able to recreate the "clunking" sound each time the wheel transitioned between acceleration or deceleration.  

I have recently (in the last week) replaced the motor with a brand new motor from Jason at eWheels, so when I got home I pulled off the side covers to see if perhaps any of the screws mounting the plastic body to the motor had backed out or something else, but they're all in place and look just the same as when I installed the motor last week.  So, I'm thinking it might be something with the pedal hangers?  Perhaps they weren't torqued down enough or something?  I am not sure how they work since I didn't install them (Jason send me the motor with the pedal hangers pre-installed), but I'm not sure what else could be causing the issue.  

It sounds like the case is somehow rotating back and forth a small amount about the motor casing (at least to my untrained ear). Has anyone run across this before?  What do I do?  I have reached out to Jason at eWheels, but I'm hoping someone can help while I'm waiting to hear back from him.

1 hour ago, Mike Dobbs said:

It sounds like the case is somehow rotating back and forth a small amount about the motor casing (at least to my untrained ear).

That's exactly what it looks like.

On a Gotway I'd say loose axle nuts, not sure how the rest of the wheel is on the motor on the V8. Check that everything is 110% firm.

Also possible is that the board isn't firmly in the shell and moves against the motor. But that is unlikely, that would more likely produce some kind of crazy vibration instead of this clunking.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

On a Gotway I'd say loose axle nuts, not sure how the rest of the wheel is on the motor on the V8. Check that everything is 110% firm.

This is my thinking as well, does anyone know how to address this on a Solowheel Glide 3?  I didn't put the pedal hangers on, and am not sure how to correctly attempt any adjustment.

17 minutes ago, Mono said:

This may help:

I believe it's a known issue.

Oh man, that's a pretty serious repair.  So I guess they haven't addressed this issue in the design yet?  This is a brand new motor, probably less than 20 or 30 miles before I started noticing the sound.  My first motor had  a seriously out of round inner rim which caused a substantial out of balance situation at higher speeds.

I guess I'm going to have to wait to hear back from Jason on this, seems like I need a replacement motor for the replacement motor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Jason asked me to send the wheel back to him for this one.  Took a week to get from NY to AZ, but he fixed it immediately and got it back into FedEx's hands within 48 hours.  6 days heading back across the  country and she's back home.  I've only had a chance to take it for a super quick spin to make sure everything was operational after the trip and repair and I'm happy to say everything seems up to spec.

Once again, a huge thanks to Jason @Ewheels for getting it fixed so quickly for me.  If you need a wheel, I can't recommend his company enough.

• Like 3