THE HOW SLOW CAN YOU GO THREAD

dpong

So today I will put down a marker for you to beat.  I posted in the Ninebot forum, because I'm using the Ninebot app to track how slow I can go.  

I'm a little obsessed lately with how slow I can go.  1) It is a better workout for me than going fast - it involves more leg and core muscles.  2) It is very challenging to do, and impressive to watch - someone balancing while going very slow or almost standing still.  Also, it develops tremendous control.  Plus it is zen-like.  Why not?

This screenshot shows that I spent 51 minutes riding, that I only rode 4.51 miles for an *average* speed of 5.49 mph.  Which is fairly slow. 

Now, I'm pretty sure I could do better than that.  Actually I am VERY sure I could do better.  But I wasn't riding super-slow the whole time, which means that sometimes I was riding purposefully very much faster than that.  But I am interested in turning in super-slow statistics to bolster this whole idea of going slow.  It is super fun, it is challenging, and it gives one a better leg work-out than just speeding around all the time.  It lets me feel a sense of balance.  It is very much fun.  

I implore others to show via the Ninebot app, how they beat me, and how they intend to continue to beat me.   In future I will post my best attempts at slow riding.  What a work-out!  

IMG_6052.jpg

I dont have a ninebot and dont know how to indicate it with the kingsong app, but i can go at approximately 1/2  to 3/4 regular walking speed which would be about 1.5 -2 miles an hour. I never measured this exactly though and I cant prove it either so i guess it doesnt count. 

Just checked, my avg is at 18.8 kph, even if I would slowride the whole weekend, I wont get to that level ever... ;) But I did train slowriding as well, especially when you got pedestrians in front of you and you cant overtake for a while its massively helpful to be able to crawl along without waving your hands doing the balance-dance.. :D

Does idling on the spot count?

I'll say.  Idling exceeds my current capabilities.  If I could do that I would be most impressed with myself.  ;)

I got instantaneous reads while going very slowly down to 2.45 mph but I can't sustain that.   I will definitely try in the near future to turn in a slower performance than mine from yesterday.  I only thought of it about half-way through my riding.  

IMG_6049.jpg

I can ride at a slow walk pretty consistently. I'll see what I can do with maybe 10 or 15 minutes tonight after work.  

Edit: attachment. No dismounts. 5 minute sample ride.

That is fantastic!  

So, I was thinking of changing the rules, but I bet you would still beat me!

I was thinking about say, 1 mile average speed.  This is a heck of a workout.   1.6 km is also acceptable.  ;)

I never achieved an average speed as low as yours, @Jdestef . But I did find as I tired from the length of the attempt, it was harder for me to maintain the lowest of my speeds. 

So, tonight I rode 1.03 miles in 18:48 with an average speed of 3.34 mph.   MAN, what a workout!  The lowest average speed I saw during the trial was 3.30 mph, but as stated, the more tired I became, the more difficult to keep the speed down. I was on the bot constantly for the entire time with no feet down and no cheating.  The final snapshot was taken while still on the wheel. 

@Jdestef how did you accomplish this low speed?  Were you on flat surface?  Do you idle back and forth?   Were you holding onto your girlfriend?  (LOL!)

Congrats.  You are the winner in the 5 minute division.  I would be interested to see what your average comes out to on the 1 mile challenge.  [I bet it would still be very very good!]

IMG_6064.jpg

As for "how I did it", I don't know. It takes more focus than physical work IMO.  Most of the work is in the feet/ankles I think. My wife goes on walks and I ride next to her so I guess maybe I get more practice than some.

Its going to take some patience to do an entire mile sample. I'll give it a try tomorrow! I'll try to get some video as well.

Screenshot_2015-10-16-14-01-13.png

@Jdestef for now you are my hero!  Any video would be appreciated and carefully studied.  To achieve my average speeds I'm truly doing the very best I can.  You are exceeding that by a fairly good margin.  Thank-you for anything you bring forth.  Your results are awesome!

@Jdestef & @Philfree - out of curiosity, which Ninebot riding mode do each of you use?   I always ride mode 0.  Plus I turn 56 years old this year.  I have been riding steadily for about 7 months, but only trying to ride more slowly recently.   I may never achieve the slow riding that you two can do.  But I will keep trying.  

Here I was indeed able to average under 3mph (2.76) for about 50 seconds.  So I can see even for me these slow speeds are possible.  I think I will need more practice.  

Practice, practice, practice. 

IMG_6068.jpg

@Jdestef & @Philfree - out of curiosity, which Ninebot riding mode do each of you use?   I always ride mode 0.  Plus I turn 56 years old this year.  I have been riding steadily for about 7 months, but only trying to ride more slowly recently.   I may never achieve the slow riding that you two can do.  But I will keep trying.  

4 I believe, which is my usual setting.

Here's some footage of some slow riding.

@Jdestef - I agree.  Very impressive.  It looks like after you warmed up a little you could almost go as slow as the clouds.  I also like the smooth form you are showing on your turns.  I can turn as tightly as you can, but you certainly look better doing it than I do. 

Thank-you so much for sharing this!

Archived