Seattle, WA SDOT is collecting data on EUCs

leadfeathers

Awesome! Thanks prasket.  I'll take a look.

I just wanted to add that it sounds like SDOT are seeing these trails suddenly swamped by PEVs and are unsure of how to respond to this.  Already we're dealing with some significant hostility between pedestrians and regular bikers on Burke-Gilman.  Both sides see the trail as strictly theirs and SDOT is trying to figure out how to compromise.  They responded by capping speed limits on E-bikes but it looks like they don't know how to handle EUCs, hoverboards, etc. without outright banning them from the trail.  Now would be a good time for Seattle-ites to educate them on what EUCs are, how they operate, limitations, etc. by participating in their data collection.  :)

I just read that presentation; it's so great to see the city is looking at PEVs in a positive, optimistic light rather than outright banning it.  One of their risks highlights their main concern, I think, they fear having "a system we don’t understand, can’t manage, and can’t protect".  I think that if we were to address these points in their surveys we could alleviate that fear.  But from the "Benefits" part of the presentation, it is clear they appreciate what PEVs can do for the city (less congestion, potentially safer than cars, cleaner, etc.).

Also this made me laugh:  "Not addressed: Aerial drone transit":lol:

• Like 1

Hi Seattle-ites,

After ruminating on this further, I decided to petition to SDOT to ask for the same rights as e-bikes on multi-use trails.  I sent the following email to the two policy officers in SDOT (some details removed).  I'll let you know what they say back.  I'm hoping we can maintain an open, positive communication with them.  If you guys send constructive emails as well, we may be able to get this on their radar (DM me if you want their contact information, or you can find it on the SDOT website).

Ride safe everyone :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

First off, thank you for your time in reading this.  I am a resident of (southern city) and make frequent trips in to Seattle.  I love the city and its surroundings; I also love clean mobility.  As a result, I am the owner and user of an EUC (electric unicycle), classified by SDOT as an electric personal assisted mobility device (EPAMD).  I was very pleased to see that SDOT is proactively approaching the increased use of these devices; working to study their transit patterns and figuring out where they’d fit best.  Unlike other cities that outright ban them without investigating further, Seattle is willing to see the opportunities these devices create (clean, green, portable, much more efficient).  For this I am very thankful.  Thank you.

I’d like to ask SDOT to take one step further, to please consider allowing the use of EPAMDs on multi-use trails.  Multi-use trails can run the full length of the city (Burke Gilman) and some connect cities together (Green to Cedar River) and can serve as safe pathways for non-automobiles to get around.  However, at the moment, EPAMDs are not allowed to use these trails.  The vast majority of EPAMDs default run at speeds slower than e-bikes.  I would like to ask that EPAMDs be given the same rights as e-bikes of similar caliber; that we regulate the speed of a device rather than regulate the usage of the device itself.  As it stands, EPAMDs can use roadways and sidewalks, but sidewalks are inconsistent between cities, and roadways are very dangerous (I have had encounters with automobiles already).  Please allow EPAMDs to use the multitude of trails around the city in much the way e-bikes are.  Many others in this small community of devices would be happy to travel at the regulated speeds, and we give pedestrians, bikes, and horses right of way as it is, as well as obeying current bike laws and etiquette.

Thank you very much for your time, and please feel free to reach out to me for questions.

-*My Name*

Edited by leadfeathers
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@prasket actually yes! My email was to Radcliffe Dacanay and Chris Saleeba.  Radcliffe responded, and since it was a private message I will DM you both the response rather than post it verbatim here. But for the sake of discussion on the forum, I'll summarize here:  basically the multi-use trails are overseen by Parks and Pec, not SDOT.  Between the two departments, there is a difference on philosophy.  SDOT views the trails as legitimate pathways for non-automotive transportation, while Parks and Rec strictly views them as recreational trails. So currently they see EUCs as modes of transport and not thus compatible with trails.

However, both departments are in talks to resolve the difference in philosophy as they realize that the adoption rate of these devices is going to require a more holistic approach to their regulation and so there is a potential for positive change here.  I eagerly await the results of those talks :-)

Awesome. Maybe some of the money from the King County parks levy recently passed can be used to widen the Burke in high traffic areas. I think if there is sufficient road width there would be less issues between pedestrians, bikes, e-bikes, and PEVs. I'll email the departments you mentioned. Thanks!

• Like 1

I didn't realize it wasn't legal.  In the rcw's it says EPAMD's have "all the rights and duties of a pedestrian".  Can a disabled person not use their electric wheelchairs on it?  They appear to be classified the same.

One thing i think making a point of in any survey/feedback, is a EUC consumes no additional personal space than a pedestrian. It fits between your legs, is narrower than the width of feet and shoulders, and shorter than your stride length.

Of course one can certainly be inconsiderate, irresponsible, and or reckless on one though. (But then so can a pedestrian)

• Upvote 1

Excellent points @Blueblade. One of the reasons I got into EUC was the tiny footprint and portability. Sometimes the bike racks at my office building filled up by the time I get to work on my bike. Finding rack space is not an issue as I take my EUC with me to my office. It's the perfect personal mobility device. 

I sent an email to SDOT regarding EPAMD use on multi-use trails. It's along the same line as @leadfeathers. I detailed my use of it on the Burke and street as a daily commuting device and hope they allow for it similar to Class 2 E-Bike. 

• Like 1

Thanks for putting your chips in the hat, guys.  I hope that with sufficient response, SDOT can convince Parks & Rec that there's a definite need to update the rights-of-use on the trails.  I saw a sign somewhere that showed yield and right-of-way; basically a bike yields to horses and pedestrians, pedestrians yield to horses, and horse get pretty much free reign (heh pun).  I was thinking this could easily be updated to have the "bike" section be redefined as "any personal mobility device", meaning bikes, e-bikes, scooters, unicycles, what have you.  Holistic and all-encompassing.

I would think that if trails allow the use of a horse, that something as small as an EUC would be granted this kind of right easily.

EDIT: I sent more members the SDOT response via DM

Edited by leadfeathers

Thank you for your work on this! I will email SDOT to offer any info/opinions I can provide. I love using my EUC in Seattle and want to make sure we can continue to do so, and integrate with everyone else. 

• Upvote 2

Hey fellow Seattle euc riders. I got a transportation survey request from UDistrictMobility for the design of the streets around the new U District light rail station. If we want to use euc to and from the light rail station I recommend choosing either adding bike lanes or widen sidewalk options. In the comments I wrote that it would be great if the bike lanes allow exempt vehicles including electric personal assisted mobility device (EPAMD). Feel free to pass along the survey to anyone else interested in making the U District light rail station bike and EPAMD friendly. 

https://www.udistrictmobility.com/43rd-survey.html

• Upvote 2