Rapid Charger Fun - Double Checking for Possible Fire Death

seage

Hi all! 

I recently got the rapid charger from E-wheels and its amazing, so fast. So today I was charging up my ks-18xl to 90%. Turned it on and plugged it into the bottom port. Nothing happened. I had the voltage at 3amps so i turned it to 5. Tried this a few times. Nothing. Okay..weird... plugged it into the top port and suddenly its charging. Wat. So i unplug it, switch the charger off and back on, turn it to 100% and plug it into the bottom port. Chargers fans wirr on. Okay................................ turn it back off and on. Switch it back to 90%, plug it back into the bottom port. Now its charging again.

Is this anything to worry about? Will i die tonight? I heard/read that both of those ports connect anyways and spread the the batteries, so it may just be the physical port itself that was the problem and the 100% jumpstarted it? Or...or...i have no idea how this works and need to ask before my wheel lights up.

Thanks!

*Update* 

Extra details. Charger stopped charging at 80% instead of the 90% it was supposed to. 

My old charger that suddenly stopped working, i wonder if it was connected to that bottom port.

Monitoring it on the KS app, the app said 88%, before the charger went into standby mode. I wonder if the actual battery capacity, as read by the charger was 90% and the app is inflating it. When it stopped, in the second before the wheel turned back off the wheel showed 84%. I tried to use the 80% but thankfully it didnt do anything. Im charging it to full to see what that entails. And then im gonna ride it into the ground on the weekend and charge it back up to 90 and see what it shows by the end. 

Edited by seage
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoadRunner said:

When i charge my XL the app shows me 90% but when i unplug it and start the wheel it shows 85%.

Tested it a few times, it always shows 5% less then when charging.

Thats what it did on the top port in the end. I dont know whats up with it, but i hope its no big issue. Imma keep gearing up incase my wheel decides to turn off and let me eat concrete. I need to save faster for my monster. That way i can switch between wheels and elongate the time between critical wheel failure, lol. 

This is sounding scarily similar to my situation. Reading your post reminded me that I was initially getting seemingly different results by switching ports on my wheel but soon after, the top port began to also only charge to 70%.

I just received a comment from electricunicycles.eu on my recent youtube video that you should check out.

https://youtu.be/lKnH4iVBQTk

Edited by FrankFilmer

1 minute ago, FrankFilmer said:

This is sounding very similar to my situation. Reading your post reminded me that I was initially getting seemingly different results by switching ports on my wheel but soon after the top port began also only charging to 70% also.

I just received a comment from electricunicycles.eu on my recent youtube video that you should check out.

https://youtu.be/lKnH4iVBQTk

ill be sure to pay attention to that then. 

I just got the new charger a few days ago, and my 2nd original charger broke randomly before that. So i'll keep monitoring it. But i dont think the fast charger is the culprit yet. The bottom port seems to want to charge to 100%. It only acted strange when on the 90% setting. Could be getting an incorrect reading?

2 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

When i charge my XL the app shows me 90% but when i unplug it and start the wheel it shows 85%.

Tested it a few times, it always shows 5% less then when charging.

Thanks mate. That seems to be close to what i experienced with my top port. At least I know. I think i'll mainly stick to my stock charger while at home and charging in the day or whatever, and use my rapid for my rides. 

4 hours ago, seage said:

The bottom port seems to want to charge to 100%. It only acted strange when on the 90% setting.

Remember that they are connected together on the other side...

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Remember that they are connected together on the other side...

22 hours ago, seage said:

I heard/read that both of those ports connect anyways and spread the the batteries, so it may just be the physical port itself that was the problem and the 100% jumpstarted it?

I remembered, haha. Which is why i was wondering if it was a port issue. If maybe that bottom one got damaged somehow.