Replacement 2.125 tires for V8 or Original tires anyone ?

charlesrg

Anyone knows where to get a good supple tire for the inMotion V8 ? The original tire was so good.

I had a set of tires that I ordered from eWheels for my V8, however the tires are horrible. Besides not fitting wheel and requiring lots of shaving to ensure no rubbing, they are extremely hard making the wheel so uncomfortable hard even at lower pressures.  They recently updated their website recommending the 1.95 tire for the V8, however when I purchased was still showing 2.125 which is the original size shipped by inMotion.

• 1 month later...

Evidently, there is something strange going on with 16 inch EUC tires and trying to get the correct fit can be hit or miss. Firstly, InMotion has been shipping the v8 with either the Kenda 1.95" or the 2.125", so both should fit (baring any defects).  Mine came with the 1.95", but I had massive wheel wobbled because the bead didn't fit the rim properly (too loose), because the tire was defective.  After trying a 1.95" Maxxis Hookworm BMX tire, which was pretty good but a little squirrely at high speeds; I finally settled on the "Kenda K1039 Komfort Black E-Bike Tire 16X2.125" that I bought on Amazon.  This tire fit the 16" rim perfectly (absolutely zero wobble), having plenty of clearance inside the fender (no rubbing) and it is very stable at high speeds. So I recommend this tire - it's also very durable and it's cheap - only $17 on Amazon right now.

• Like 1

How are the off-road capabilities? Which was the original tire on your V8? Mine V8 came also with a 1.95 Kenda K1088 tire and I'm looking for a bigger one with better dampening. 

No rubbing or any other problems with small rocks between housing and tire? 

Edited by buell47

• 5 weeks later...

I've have no problems with rubbing or rock jams with the Kenda 16x2.125 tire, so I can say it does fit correctly within the v8's wheel well. The 2.125 tire is obviously wider, but the main difference is that it has a larger outside diameter and thicker sidewall, which when run at lower tire pressure will give you a larger contact patch on the ground and will soak up small roots and stones.  Yes, for off-road bigger is better, however the 2.125 tire does not really get you an off-road machine. For a wheel with a 16 inch rim you really need a 2.5 or 3 inch tire to feel competent off road. Of course and 18" rim would do even better e.g. MSuperX.

I do a lot of riding on smooth (groomed) dirt roads and fields and for this the v8 feels excellent to ride, but as soon as I go into places where its rocky and rutty it begins to feel out of it's element. I can muddle through some pretty rough terrain, but even with the larger 16x2.125 tire the v8 is only an off-road dabbler.

• Like 1

My wheel came with a kenda k924 and that's what I ordered when I replaced the tire.

After 8000km+ I assumed the tire needed changing. I was getting punctures and leaks frequently. 

After inspecting the tread I don't really think it was the tire that needes replacing. It's the damn inner tube that suffers some kind of stress fractures/weak spots. The tire appears to be good for 15000km but the tube should be changed every 5000km. (estimated for my weight 65kg and 100% city riding)

On 9/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, alcatraz said:

The tire appears to be good for 15000km but the tube should be changed every 5000km.

I guess that's a particular cheap tube model then. In general you shouldn't need to change the tube before the tire.

• 3 years later...

It might help to put in enough baby talcum powder around the tube. Rub it on the whole tube, the rim and inside the outer tire. This lets the tube move freely so the rubber gets less stress and might lasts longer.