EXTERNAL bicycle shelter ...?

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

I am going through some hard thoughts, regarding my commute,and leaving my wheel at work place...

There's no room in the locker room,to leave it for many hours, actually I could fit it hardly, but there's no pipes around, no nothing to secure the wheel.

It happened before, that my previous wheel was moved, replaced a bit, so I know, somebody was touching it, maybe playing with it, while I were away!

So I won't leave my wheel ever again unsecured by chain or any padlock, if you know I mean.

There's other place,where the stairs are, so to keep the wheel secured by chain inside the building, I'm thinking of leaving it underneath those steps, and securing the trolley handle to the step's bar.

No one would be able move or play with the wheel then, but still everybody can touch it if he wants to...

The other option left, is external bicycle shelter.

The "cage" is connected to the building's wall, and there's rain roof over it, but the sides are wind/rain opened, they're made by metal mesh only.

There's padlock, so nobody else,but the cyclists can get into the shelter only.

It's all my work mates, some of them have posh racing bikes, worth £££ ...

They are respecting the others, they know it costs money...

So my wheel won't be messed up by anybody, while locked in shelter, but ........

But the weather's condition :(

No, the rain won't touch the wheel, if I'll place it against the wall side at the middle, but wind, moisture, cold , ... all those conditions - if you know I mean?

This is my problem to think about, and this is where I wish to listen to your thoughts PLEASE?

Would it be SAFE - regarding the weather conditions (moisture,cold,wind) to leave it at external shelter, or I should keep it inside the building, secured to the stairs bar, to prevent it against external conditions please?

*I'm worry, cause it's all electric, the motherboard inside it, wires, connectors, battery ... 

35 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

No, the rain won't touch the wheel, if I'll place it against the wall side at the middle, but wind, moisture, cold , ... all those conditions - if you know I mean?

This is my problem to think about, and this is where I wish to listen to your thoughts PLEASE?

Would it be SAFE - regarding the weather conditions (moisture,cold,wind) to leave it at external shelter, or I should keep it inside the building, secured to the stairs bar, to prevent it against external conditions please?

"Cold" sounds bad - it takes much performance and (temporary) capacity from the batteries! So you'll have just a fraction of the wheels power and range going home...

Below freezing is bad - ?mainly for charging - which should not be done in any way to frozen batteries? - don't remember if it's also bad to use frozen batteries or it's just that they don't really perform anymore...

What would be in any case bad for the batteries if it would heat up in summertime while storing the wheel there. High temperature cause permanent damage to the batteries!

Here some data

Temperature

40% charge

100% charge

Table 3: Estimated recoverable capacity when storing Li-ion for one year at various temperatures. Elevated temperature hastens permanent capacity loss. Not all Li-ion systems behave the same.

0°C 98% (after 1 year) 94% (after 1 year)
25°C 96% (after 1 year) 80% (after 1 year)
40°C 85% (after 1 year) 65% (after 1 year)
60°C 75% (after 1 year) 60%
(after 3 months)

from https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries.

And of course moisture is not the best for all the metallic parts - but i have no experience how sturdy or sensitive the wheel/motor itself is...

And if for example the moisture comes from the sea and is aggressive?

Guest PogArt Artur

Thanks @Chriull !

Thank you for your time - it's obvious I should do anything I can, to secure it,and keep it inside the building, for the period of my shifts.

Thank you!

Edited by PogArt Artur

Leave it behind the dispatch counter with their permission) dispatch won't mess with it.  Are they open at the end of the night, when the late schedules come in?

If you decide to use the bike locker, put a large plastic bag over it to keep most of the elements out.  Winter cold will still be a problem as @Chriull mentioned

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Smoother said:

dispatch counter

I had to go through "google search" to find out what does mean "dispatch counter" hahahaaaa :)

They used to call it - inspector desk, or controller desk :)

That won't be good idea just for one reason.

At the same room (at depot) they sharing the room with garage's inspectors,and bus mechanics...

And the controllers are leaving every day at about 7:30 am to serve their duties at Bradford bus station (town centre).

There's their second office.

So, once they'd leave the bus depot's desk - anybody could have play around the wheel.

There isn't just enough room, to fit the wheel, it's kind of "walk through" room...

The controllers coming back to that room at about 19:00 till midnight.

So I'm really consider the place underneath the stairs...

Yes, still anybody would be able to have a look on the wheel, or touch it - but will not move it, if I secure it to the stairs bar with bicycle chain.

And so far it is the best option I have left.

1/inside the building

2/no strangers,but co-workers only

3/secured in place

Thanks to your and @Chriull advice, I will defo avoid external shelter.

Thank you @Smoother

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

Yes, still anybody would be able to have a look on the wheel, or touch it - but will not move it, if I secure it to the stairs bar with bicycle chain.

One last consideration for you.  Hundreds of bikes get stolen every day, most of them chained up.  If you are sure no one will cut your chain and steal your wheel then go ahead.  Having worked with bus drivers and the rest of the crew required to mount a bus service, I'm not sure I would be certain it would still be there after every shift. I think, until the weather gets too cold, the bike locker sounds like your best option (and a plastic bag)  As long as you use a strong lock.

Edited by Smoother

Guest PogArt Artur
7 minutes ago, Smoother said:

One last consideration for you.  Hundreds of bikes get stolen every day, most of them chained up.  If you are sure no one will cut your chain and steal your wheel then go ahead.  Having worked with bus drivers and the rest of the crew required to mount a bus service, I'm not sure I would be certain it would still be there after every shift. I think, until the weather gets too cold, the bike locker sounds like your best option and a plastic bag)  As long as you use a strong lock.

Definitely you're right!

I know the case, where the driver left his sunglasses at the locker room, he just forgotten to take them off the locker.

As soon as he realised he came back to the locker room, to find out there's no sunglasses anymore :)

He went out, and had a word with other drivers chatting outside the locker room, they had pointed the name of the driver that just left ...

So he went after that driver, to ask him politely, if he saw the sunglasses ...

No, he didn't :)

Do you know I mean @Smoother :)

You just can not trust nobody, lol, what a weird world :)

The place where the stairs are, is "walk through" room/corridor.

Yes, any bus mechanic, or bus driver or office staff will walk that way up and down the stairs and through the corridor.

There are CCTV cameras fitted too...

Unfortunately not at that stairs, but at surrounded walls outside that room/corridor.

Obviously I'm aware, that there might be possibilities to avoid cameras, if somebody would know what to do...

Now I'm starting to worry, as the whole office staff was transferred to the other town, so basically, except fewer radio control staff members working upstairs, there's nobody else if they leave the office.

Obviously every 10 min comes staff bus, dropping off and picking up drivers, so every time and then somebody is passing by.

10min it's enough to cut the chain off...

Sh*t.

It doesn't looking good.

Guest PogArt Artur
11 minutes ago, who_the said:

External shelter + slide an extra large garbage bag (like for bins or drums) over the top. Protects against visual and liquid intrusion.

Thanks ...

Just making up my mind, to make some wooden 'box', lined inside with some rubber sides, like the aerobic floor matte ...

So I could make it a bit more warm inside, keeping the cold outside the box...

That might be some plan B.

Thank you :)

Guest PogArt Artur
50 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X5vPHxy28ddrxF9r5

I May have missed a detail but can you put it under your desk at work? 

Unfortunately the desk is not occupied, once the traffic controllers leave to the town bus station...

So leaving the wheel unattended for so many hours (till late evening) ...

You know I mean...

I'm starting to plan building up the wooden storage box instead...

IMG_29052019_201006_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.54f0a07000168f8692f9fcbeeee0af6c.jpg

I just have measured it, the Z10 would fit perfectly...

I can simply remove all those interior shelves, and made a solid wooden sides.

The top of it I can make as an open lid, that I could lift up, place the wheel inside, and lock it with padlock, so nobody could touch it, while I'm away.

I will probably make it as I say :)

Now, the question is, where to place it :)

There isn't enough room for such big wooden locker in tight locker room...

But having this box done, will give me opportunity, to take a picture of it, and talk to any of my managers, to ask for their clues, and permission to place it somewhere, in secure place :)

I'm keep trying to keep it inside the building if I can.

If not, plan B would be - external bicycle shelter.

Edited by PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

I had a time today to start making my vision come true, regarding the "storage box" to keep my wheel locked, and not letting strangers to touch/play with it, while I'm away.

I took all interior pieces off that short wardrobe pictured above, and using simply wooden pieces, I've started making the sides, to make it as a box.

I'm not putting too much attention to finish the interior nicely,because it's meant only to make a proper wooden sides,using the leftover pieces I have.

Also,the whole interior will be cushioned later, with rubber gym matte, so I just don't bother about clean finish, it will all disappear covered later by gym matte.  

The top I will make as an opening lid, that will be secured by padlock when finished.

I think I'll post update, once it's finished.

I think it might be okay to use it inside the building (if I find right place, and get a permission) or at external bike shelter, because of internal rubber lining?

Screenshot_20190530-142544_Chrome.thumb.jpg.403adbf458fdb5aafe1da37903c11eb2.jpg

IMG_30052019_145630_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.36822cc7a2fe62d57919b4132ae07844.jpg

The inside measurement shows 56cm.

It should be about enough, to make the opening lid at the side, I mean, if I put it horizontally, the top lid will be at the side...

I'm aware of the Z10's weight of 27kg?

I can imagine of lifting it being as similar as lifting the travel luggage case :)

So it might upset me after few times, if I'll have to lift it every time and then :)

I'll be better off rolling the Z10 inside that locker case instead, lol :)

What do you think ?

IMG_30052019_150652_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.e2ed5b2622c5324950ce07695bc338a7.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur