Survey about EUC for a research - help needed

Serios

Thanks for answers. Unfortunately, the amount of surveys completed is still not enough to get a grip on statistically proven data 

To all: Can I ask for a little more effort? If you haven't completed the survey, please do! I need data, otherwise, it won't work.

The survey will remain open for some time, and I intend to remind about it and refresh this topic periodically.

22 hours ago, travsformation said:

I've completed the survey too. 

@SeriosThere are a couple of repeated questions and a couple that I didn't entirely understand, in the section of things that prevent EUCs from becoming more popular: legal opportunism and human opportunism. I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I also think it would be interesting to add a few more questions on use cases: what users mainly use their EUC for (commute to & from work, recreation, as an addition to their car/public transportation or as a replacement, etc.), and how many kms they ride per day or week. I would also be interesting to further explore whether users think EUCs should be regulated, and if so, HOW: where we think we should be allowed to ride (sidewalk, bicycle lanes, road), whether we agree with implementing power or speed limitations, whether we'd prefer a maximum speed limitation and to have the same rights as bicycles, or whether we'd be willing to be put in the same category as internal combustion scooters so we have no top speed limitation (aside from traffic signs), etc. There are some very good questions in this poll from a French user (regarding French PEV laws) 

I don't mean to "step on your feet", and I thank you for taking on this project yourself, which is in the benefit of all EUC users, but if you're new to the forum, it might be a good idea to hang around here for a while and get some user feedback before posting "the definitive survey", as there are many riders who have been riding for quite a few years and might be able to give you some ideas and insight that us newer users (including myself) might not think o:)

Just my two cents, I hope it's useful :)

Sure. I'll be using the forum as there are many valuable sources of information here. 

In terms of the poll that you mentioned it's interesting, and I'm trying to get users understanding of what's ok, what's not. Please remember also that I have my own EUC, and did more than 1000km so far on it :-) 

On 5/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, Lefteris said:

There, that wasn't hard.

To ensure us you should have started like this. And yes I will now complete the survey.

Thank you. If you have any idea how to get more responses, it would be great. 

18 hours ago, Maartenv said:

@Serios, issue with the on income-question. There is a big difference between income, family income and 'amount of money you can spend each month'. If it can be interpreted in different ways, it's not very useful to analyse. Also, what it represents is highly dependent on the country you live in (€ 2.000 in Greece is not the same as 2.000 in Finland, for example). Anyway, on average it doesn't add a lot to the combination of age+level of degree, so the question is rather useless. In any case, I'll just answer with my individual net income of the current month.

- The questions on how people react: could have been interesting to have more info on where respondents are from. Perhaps there might be significant differences?

- Very relevant to ask how long people have had an EUC (I've had mine for less then two weeks, so obviously I haven't changed models)

- Question on riding insurance is irrelevant for my country (by law included coverage in obligated family-insurance - up till 25km/h that is..)

- 'Human opportunism': heh? and it's even in there twice. No clue what you mean.

With income question: my intention is to show to which group of people EUC user belong and believe me it shows clearly the pattern, that I assumed that it will follow, no matter if you live in Greece, Finland or Germany. To not spoil responses I can tell you that one group dominates in answers for this question.

Regarding how people react - yes, sure, I agree, but if I could get 500 answers, it would be nice to ask these questions. 10x less than that will be a success though.  

Human opportunism? A typical stance that assumes that people are opportunistic to new developments. It's indeed twice. I have to take a look :-)

18 hours ago, Maartenv said:

Also, there might also be some expertise in research methodology available here. So co-creation could have been a splendid idea.
Anyway, I'll give the survey a go as well, obviously.

Sure. Like qualitative research. You're right. However, the problem is that its difficult to convince others to find the time. Even with this survey I still have a lack of statistically proven data. Let's see the future development of this survey. 

All your remarks are noted. My idea behind that survey is that I would not get enough responses to go deeply into countries, so I stayed with continents/countries and it will be enough to show who are the owners of EUC. With changing models and how long users are owning EUC, it's tricky because I assume that it's a new market. All EUC users have them less than 5 years.

Anyway, if you have any idea how to get more responses let me know :-)

On 5/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, Serios said:

We know that EUC market is having legal difficulties all around the world. I intend to study it and I need your help. I'm University Professor at one of the European countries and I own and ride EUC myself (Ninebot s2). I want to write first comprehensive research about the origins of EUC and EUC owners and their needs. I want to ask every owner of EUC to fill the ANONYMOUS SURVEY available here: 

WOW, the first question is a binary gender question required to answer. @SeriosI think you haven't arrived in the 21st century yet ;) I would suggest to make any personal question non-mandatory to answer, like gender, location, occupation, income...

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

Maybe some of the veterans can push this a bit in there posts as the interests of our community are surely to all our advantage .And yes,i have done the survey and some of the questions are a bit "lost in translation" and a couple are repeated .

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 2:04 PM, Coffee guy said:

Completed the survey.

Thank you.

I still need more data though, it's not enough. Everyone, help is needed to get more input data. 

On 5/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, Mono said:

WOW, the first question is a binary gender question required to answer. @SeriosI think you haven't arrived in the 21st century yet ;) I would suggest to make any personal question non-mandatory to answer, like gender, location, occupation, income...

Even if you're Cartsen Semenya, you're officially either male or female. And you are socially percived as one of these two. 

If I would make personal questions non-mandatory I would not be able to say WHO is the user of EUC. Do you know that according to the results of the survey there are no users that are 11-17. It's surprising because I thought it's likely a teenagers stuff, but the poll shows that it's not!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Serios said:

It's surprising because I thought it's likely a teenagers stuff, but the poll shows that it's not!

Not surprising since:

-it’s not a cheap ‘hobby’

-it’s more a vehicle and less a toy (compared to hover boards and skateboards)

-it’s not something you would typically give or receive as a present. And if you do, it’s probably a cheap one, and you wouldn’t be on a forum like this.

23 minutes ago, Maartenv said:

Not surprising since:

-it’s not a cheap ‘hobby’

-it’s more a vehicle and less a toy (compared to hover boards and skateboards)

-it’s not something you would typically give or receive as a present. And if you do, it’s probably a cheap one, and you wouldn’t be on a forum like this.

You're right. This is also my reasoning. I just used this example to explain why personal questions such as age, salary is a must.

Any idea of how to improve the number of survey answers? 

1 hour ago, Serios said:

Even if you're Cartsen Semenya, you're officially either male or female. And you are socially percived as one of these two. 

OK, I see, maybe you have arrived in the 21st century of technology, but I don't see that you have arrived in the 21st century of social sciences.

1 hour ago, Serios said:

If I would make personal questions non-mandatory I would not be able to say WHO is the user of EUC.

That is exactly the point of an anonymous poll, that you are not able to say WHO has filled it. BTW, I suspect that you could well incite a selection bias and wrong answers if you don't make such questions optional. Just saying.

1 hour ago, Serios said:

Do you know that according to the results of the survey there are no users that are 11-17. It's surprising because I thought it's likely a teenagers stuff, but the poll shows that it's not!

No, not surprising at all. It just tells me that you didn't have any interest in the topic before you started "the research" and didn't do any (re)search after that either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mono said:

OK, I see, maybe you have arrived in the 21st century of technology, but I don't see that you have arrived in the 21st century of social sciences.

Actually, I'm not very conservative, but we have to use certain categories to name certain things. These things and categories change with time. 

1 hour ago, Mono said:

That is exactly the point of an anonymous poll, that you are not able to say WHO has filled it. BTW, I suspect that you could well incite a selection bias and wrong answers if you don't make such questions optional. Just saying.

I need personal data to create typical "user profile" of EUC, while I don't know which of those surveys is yours, who filled it etc.  

1 hour ago, Mono said:

No, not surprising at all. It just tells me that you didn't have any interest in the topic before you started "the research" and didn't do any (re)search after that either.

Besides, I have EUC and I ride a lot. We don't know much about typical user and that's why I think this is a nice topic for study by a scientist :-)

Your help is always welcomed. If you want to give me a helping hand with additional research I'll gladly accept it :-)

9 hours ago, Serios said:

Any idea of how to improve the number of survey answers? 

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I have the impression that you are not by any means a social scientist, or have a lot of expertise in conducting surveys.

Why? Because you keep asking people for more response, as if representativity is attained when you reach a certain number of respondents. That's not how it works.

More data does not necessarily mean better data.

All it might do, is give you an more accurate profile of the average EUC-rider profile on this forum. It's highly unlikely that this is a good representation of the average euc-rider.

There's probably a few different user-profiles, and the people on this forum probably cover a few of these (though some groups might be over-represented).

So, to answer your question; how do you get better data?

First, you need to think about what you actually want to know and why. What are your research questions? What hypotheses do you want to test? Perhaps it's more useful to make the study not just on euc, but also on hoverboard, e-scooters,... That way you learn about the differences between the users. Knowing 'the' euc user doesn't teach you anything without comparing it to anything else.

Next you can make a survey. But don't do this alone, ask people with experience and expertise to do this. At least let some people proof-read it.

Then: think of possibilities of gathering data. I'll give you a few examples:

- One means is posting a survey on a forum (what you did here)

- Post the survey on (popular) fora where there is a sub-forum that covers the topic (here you might find more youngsters)

- Directly send your survey by e-mail to people who use an euc, asking them to fill it out, and to send it through to others they know who own and use an euc  ('snowball-method'). It helps if you raffle a price (there might be euc-partners interested in helping with this, since they might be interested in the results); this can give you more responses and diminishes the risk of self-selection.

- Face-to-face interviews: interview euc-users. Perhaps there might be other euc-users interested in helping with this, if you provide the survey-guidelines.

- Ask sellers if they would be willing to send out an e-mail to buyers to ask for filling out the survey.

But keep in mind; to ask for collaboration for the above, you really need a quality survey. And that's not what you have right now..

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Serios said:

I need personal data to create typical "user profile" of EUC, while I don't know which of those surveys is yours, who filled it etc.  

I understand that you want this data (you don't need it though). I am saying that making fields mandatory may not be the best way to get these data. Just saying. Do you have expertise or experience in designing questionnaires?

6 hours ago, Serios said:

Your help is always welcomed. If you want to give me a helping hand with additional research I'll gladly accept it :-)

Use "site:forum.electricunicycle.org" in a google search additionally to the keywords you are interested in to dig into the information wealth of this forum.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Maartenv said:

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I have the impression that you are not by any means a social scientist, or have a lot of expertise in conducting surveys.

Why? Because you keep asking people for more response, as if representativity is attained when you reach a certain number of respondents. That's not how it works.

More data does not necessarily mean better data.

It works, because thanks to you and others our topic is still hot and on the top of the topic list. People tend to look at new answers and posts, so our discussion, I hope, is making a spark to ignite more responses. 

It's true that more data does always mean better data, but mostly yes if you already planned your study well. More data means lower deviation. 

All it might do, is give you an more accurate profile of the average EUC-rider profile on this forum. It's highly unlikely that this is a good representation of the average euc-rider.

There's probably a few different user-profiles, and the people on this forum probably cover a few of these (though some groups might be over-represented).

Precisely. Almost all social science (90% of studies) are based on studies of  WEIRD people (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic). These are 10% of all people around the world. Is it representative? :-)

First, you need to think about what you actually want to know and why. What are your research questions? What hypotheses do you want to test? Perhaps it's more useful to make the study not just on euc, but also on hoverboard, e-scooters,... That way you learn about the differences between the users. Knowing 'the' euc user doesn't teach you anything without comparing it to anything else.

Next you can make a survey. But don't do this alone, ask people with experience and expertise to do this. At least let some people proof-read it.

Then: think of possibilities of gathering data. I'll give you a few examples:

- One means is posting a survey on a forum (what you did here)

- Post the survey on (popular) fora where there is a sub-forum that covers the topic (here you might find more youngsters)

- Directly send your survey by e-mail to people who use an euc, asking them to fill it out, and to send it through to others they know who own and use an euc  ('snowball-method'). It helps if you raffle a price (there might be euc-partners interested in helping with this, since they might be interested in the results); this can give you more responses and diminishes the risk of self-selection.

- Face-to-face interviews: interview euc-users. Perhaps there might be other euc-users interested in helping with this, if you provide the survey-guidelines.

- Ask sellers if they would be willing to send out an e-mail to buyers to ask for filling out the survey.

But keep in mind; to ask for collaboration for the above, you really need a quality survey. And that's not what you have right now..

You keep asking about my experience. I'm not doing surveys every day, I'm not working for a firm that is doing that professionally, though I'm enough experienced to know what I want to accomplish. No face-to-face interviews, no visit to sellers (they would not share any RODO info anyway). I'm not making a qualitative survey, only quantitative, which require data. I won't be spamming to users (besides I don't have a database of emails). This forum is the best possible place and I do want to make sth good out of this survey for the sake of science. 

Anyway, it's always nice that you have suggestions. I appreciate that.