Survey about EUC for a research - help needed

Serios

Hi,

We know that EUC market is having legal difficulties all around the world. I intend to study it and I need your help. I'm University Professor at one of the European countries and I own and ride EUC myself (Ninebot s2). I want to write first comprehensive research about the origins of EUC and EUC owners and their needs. I want to ask every owner of EUC to fill the ANONYMOUS SURVEY available here: 

https://forms.gle/eFZv7PgmgAA4AR127

The aim of this survey is to analyze the main areas that deal with legal issues, user habits, safety and popularization of EUC holders (Electric Unicycles / wheels). Survey last 15 minutes. Please fill it only if you're EUC owner, and do it only once. The purpose of the survey is purely scientific. I'm not having any remuneration because of this project. I enjoy very much riding EUC and basically have the same legal, market, psychological problems as others.  You can contribute and help me creating discussion boundaries with governments that are currently needed by EUC community. The results will be published in a selected academic journal, later sent to the legislators (Brussels) and made available on the forum with the consent of the 'EUC community forum'.

To administrators: Please facilitate sharing the questionnaire. I'd like to contact you directly but I can send 0 messages to others (don't know why). Could you kindly help and promote this survey?

I'll be glad to answer any questions or accept any additional help (if you feel that I overlooked important field)

Edited by Chriull

I stopped answering the survey midpoint because of questions that were ambiguous as to what we are driving (presumably an EUC, but then again the previous questions specifies both bicycle and automobiles).

For example

When you are driving.

Vs

When you are driving [a car].

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, Serios said:

I'm University Professor at one of the European countries

Sure:rolleyes: Nothing suspicious to see here. Everything good and serio(u)s.

edit: Ok, my fault, survey done.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

If the objective is to analyse users' habits, safety and legal concerns, etc., why, if I may ask, does the poll start off (after establishing user age and background), with 9 questions about what we value in an EUC (weight, size, range, design, mobile app functionalities, availability, etc.)? Maybe it's just me, but these sound suspiciously like the kind of questions a manufacturer would make in a marketing study... :whistling:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I stopped answering the survey midpoint because of questions that were ambiguous as to what we are driving (presumably an EUC, but then again the previous questions specifies both bicycle and automobiles).

For example

When you are driving.

Vs

When you are driving [a car].

I agree. I made a correction to survey to make it more precise. Could you kindly finish it? I really need a statistically significant sample size. Every survey matters to me. It's simply not enough right now.

21 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sure:rolleyes: Nothing suspicious to see here. Everything good and serio(u)s.

With what you're quoting it's just misspelling. I'm not from english-speaking country. It's my second language though. Same in the title (EUC instead of UEC). My nickname comes from my name and not from the word "serious". 

Pardon me, what is suspicious in the survey? Do I ask you for any private data? Actually, I want help EUC community and write a good academic article and need your help. Would mind helping? Without your contribution, I won't get enough answers. Send me a private message (with email) so I'll reply with details if you're interested in my name, and work place. Any more questions?

9 hours ago, travsformation said:

If the objective is to analyse users' habits, safety and legal concerns, etc., why, if I may ask, does the poll start off (after establishing user age and background), with 9 questions about what we value in an EUC (weight, size, range, design, mobile app functionalities, availability, etc.)? Maybe it's just me, but these sound suspiciously like the kind of questions a manufacturer would make in a marketing study... :whistling:

Sure

I'm not a manufacturer. I'm an assistant professor at University. What's surprising in that? Everybody is doing something. Why I ask for what users value in a EUC? Because with electromobility we have a lot of different opportunities and I want to understand what is most important factor for choosing EUC. Is EUC complementary good for cars/bicycles? The article will be available on the internet so you'll get results anyway. Why do you assume that I have bad intetions?

I'll do this research for free. It means that I have no grants, government deals for this topic. And believe me, it would require me to work 150h (for free) to finish it, and I just ask for 15minutes of your time. If I won't get enough answers to get statistically significant results survey would be a failure. 

I willing to contribute, and if you still don't believe me just send me a private message (with email), so I can tell you a little more about myself. And please complete the survey. 

Administrators: Could you kindly change in the topic UEC to EUC and help / fill the survey!. Thanks! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Serios said:

Administrators: Could you kindly change in the topic UEC to EUC and help / fill the survey!. Thanks! 

Use the edit button - everyone can afaik change ones posts as he likes.

Pretty much any interest in EUCs is positive IMO, so whatever the final use I answered. I agree it looks shady though.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Like 1

I won't complete the survey cause in my honest opinion, an academic doesn't have any problem disclosing his University and/or the official name of the research.

This doesn't feel right, sorry to the OP (original poster) but it's how i feel, and i think i express many of our fellow forums users thoughts with this reply.

Thank you for trying.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

I got stoned and filled it out on my phone last night for what seemed like 127 minutes. 

So you typed with one hand and ate munchies for 2 hours with the other?

• Like 2

First, again, please contribute, as it's still not enough surveys to undertake study research on this topic. 

12 hours ago, Maartenv said:

Hi, why the secrecy? There’s no harm I guess in telling who you are and at what uni you teach/do research. Myself I work at the university of Leuven (30 km from Brussels, and responsible for student mobility in our city). We don’t have a lot of euc users in our city, but it might be interesting looking into the potential.

Again, there is no secrecy, though this survey is my private initiative and I don't want publicly publish my name. We've got GDPR in Europe now. You can contact me for details individually. If you want to join me in research, it's even better :-)

A place where I live is now in the middle of electro-revolution. Every 100m you can find e-devices, which are standing on the pavements, parking lots. City officials are furious with such developments and no laws are amended for using, parking any e-device etc. Governments are typically discussing the legal case of e-bikes, e-scooters now but forget about EUC. You can click and find out what you can rent for 10eurocents/minute here in Warsaw: https://takeanddrive.eu/map.html (click Warsaw)

We have some EUC users and the market for such novelties (e-uc, e-cars, e-scooters, e-bikes, e-everything) is growing but many of poles are not speaking English or haven't heard of this forum. Is it probalby the best place to conduct a survey for EUC topic. 

Leuven is nice, with a great faculty on Indonesian matters, which is best in Europe, as far as know.

12 hours ago, Lefteris said:

I won't complete the survey cause in my honest opinion, an academic doesn't have any problem disclosing his University and/or the official name of the research.

This doesn't feel right, sorry to the OP (original poster) but it's how i feel, and i think i express many of our fellow forums users thoughts with this reply.

Thank you for trying.

We're all anonymous on this forum, but sure, to overcome the issue that you mentioned I can say that I work for Polish Academy of Science and also lecture at Lazarski University. Both are in Warsaw, Poland. Contact me (with email) to get details, please. 

Now I expect you to complete the survey :-)

Any more questions? 

Again, please help, no matter the place you're living, as without a good sample size survey would be statistically irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've completed the survey too. 

@SeriosThere are a couple of repeated questions and a couple that I didn't entirely understand, in the section of things that prevent EUCs from becoming more popular: legal opportunism and human opportunism. I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I also think it would be interesting to add a few more questions on use cases: what users mainly use their EUC for (commute to & from work, recreation, as an addition to their car/public transportation or as a replacement, etc.), and how many kms they ride per day or week. I would also be interesting to further explore whether users think EUCs should be regulated, and if so, HOW: where we think we should be allowed to ride (sidewalk, bicycle lanes, road), whether we agree with implementing power or speed limitations, whether we'd prefer a maximum speed limitation and to have the same rights as bicycles, or whether we'd be willing to be put in the same category as internal combustion scooters so we have no top speed limitation (aside from traffic signs), etc. There are some very good questions in this poll from a French user (regarding French PEV laws) 

I don't mean to "step on your feet", and I thank you for taking on this project yourself, which is in the benefit of all EUC users, but if you're new to the forum, it might be a good idea to hang around here for a while and get some user feedback before posting "the definitive survey", as there are many riders who have been riding for quite a few years and might be able to give you some ideas and insight that us newer users (including myself) might not think of :)

Just my two cents, I hope it's useful :)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, travsformation said:

I don't mean to "step on your feet", and I thank you for taking on this project yourself, which is in the benefit of all EUC users, but if you're new to the forum, it might be a good idea to hang around here for a while and get some user feedback before posting "the definitive survey", as there are many riders who have been riding for quite a few years and might be able to give you some ideas and insight that is newer users (including myself) might not think of :)

Also, there might also be some expertise in research methodology available here. So co-creation could have been a splendid idea.
Anyway, I'll give the survey a go as well, obviously.

• Like 1

@Serios, issue with the on income-question. There is a big difference between income, family income and 'amount of money you can spend each month'. If it can be interpreted in different ways, it's not very useful to analyse. Also, what it represents is highly dependent on the country you live in (€ 2.000 in Greece is not the same as 2.000 in Finland, for example). Anyway, on average it doesn't add a lot to the combination of age+level of degree, so the question is rather useless. In any case, I'll just answer with my individual net income of the current month.

- The questions on how people react: could have been interesting to have more info on where respondents are from. Perhaps there might be significant differences?

- Very relevant to ask how long people have had an EUC (I've had mine for less then two weeks, so obviously I haven't changed models)

- Question on riding insurance is irrelevant for my country (by law included coverage in obligated family-insurance - up till 25km/h that is..)

- 'Human opportunism': heh? and it's even in there twice. No clue what you mean.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Maartenv said:

@Serios, issue with the on income-question. There is a big difference between income, family income and 'amount of money you can spend each month'. If it can be interpreted in different ways, it's not very useful to analyse. Also, what it represents is highly dependent on the country you live in (€ 2.000 in Greece is not the same as 2.000 in Finland, for example). Anyway, on average it doesn't add a lot to the combination of age+level of degree, so the question is rather useless. In any case, I'll just answer with my individual net income of the current month.

I interpreted that as MY personal net income. If it were what's left over after rent + utilities, it would be a very different figure :efee612b4b:

15 minutes ago, Maartenv said:

Very relevant to ask how long people have had an EUC (I've had mine for less then two weeks, so obviously I haven't changed models)

Very good point, I entirely agree.

16 minutes ago, Maartenv said:

Question on riding insurance is irrelevant for my country (by law included coverage in obligated family-insurance - up till 25km/h that is..)

Not entirely irrelevant. In Spain we can get EUC-specific insurance. House-family insurance isn't the same thing: it covers damage/theft of your EUC (generally within a specific radius from your house), but not harm caused to third parties if you have an accident, nor potential hospitalization/litigation costs. Think of it as a car insurance for EUCs. And the question actually was "If it were available", so I think it's a good idea to include it :)

40 minutes ago, Maartenv said:

Also, there might also be some expertise in research methodology available here. So co-creation could have been a splendid idea.

Yeah, I entirely agree. The more people participate in co-developing the survey (and there are some very sharp and experienced minds in this forum), the more thorough and on point it will be, @Serios :)