Gotway Msuper X: I can hear gears.

Hi Guys, First post here. Just bought an MSUPER X. I can hear a high pitched whine, which I assume is normal. But when the wheel moves at low speeds (I'm still barely learning to ride) I can hear the sound of gears turning. Is this normal? Should that sound be there? Or is this defective? I've never ridden an EUC before, so I don't know what it should sound like. Thanks. 

Yes, our wheels can make various grumbling sounds when trolleying about at low speed. It's all that power trying to escape from the wheel ;)

The MSX is one of the quiest wheels being made, but I guess it still emits a little whine.

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, our wheels can make various grumbling sounds when trolleying about at low speed. It's all that power trying to escape from the wheel ;)

The MSX is one of the quiest wheels being made, but I guess it still emits a little whine.

Phewph! That's a relief.. Thanks for the reply. Ok, now back to destroying my ankles (and furniture) trying to learn how to ride this thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzukiwookie said:

Phewph! That's a relief.. Thanks for the reply. Ok, now back to destroying my ankles (and furniture) trying to learn how to ride this thing. 

Good luck. Although painful on the ankles and shins (we've all been there) it's a special and exciting time as you learn, anticipating the future fun times.

Here's an explanation of all the sounds you hear (from another thread). Everything is good.

Also: in doubt, go outside earlier than later. Indoors is not a good place to learn after the first few minutes. Unless you hate your walls and furniture;)

17 hours ago, suzukiwookie said:

Hi Guys, First post here. Just bought an MSUPER X. I can hear a high pitched whine, which I assume is normal. But when the wheel moves at low speeds (I'm still barely learning to ride) I can hear the sound of gears turning. Is this normal? Should that sound be there? Or is this defective? I've never ridden an EUC before, so I don't know what it should sound like. Thanks. 

Damn, you went all in - Msuper X for a first wheel! Everything I read about the Tesla was hinting that a noob shouldn't get it but I did. At least you've future proofed yourself.

Advanced euc or not I think if you treat the wheel with respect then it will treat you accordingly. Ride to your limits. Enjoy it! 

Glad I have not been the only noob to be paranoid about the tummy rumbles and whining. Temps are also something I have been reassured about.

On 5/3/2019 at 2:39 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Here's an explanation of all the sounds you hear (from another thread). Everything is good.

Also: in doubt, go outside earlier than later. Indoors is not a good place to learn after the first few minutes. Unless you hate your walls and furniture;)

Great! Thank you for that. That's reassuring. 

After watching Chooch's and U-Stide videos, I did take it outside and put a strap on it. Putting a strap (a belt) on the MSX saved it, and my ankles, and the exercises that U-Stride recommended on his 12 step program had me up and running (although butt-puckered and wobbly) up and down my street today!! 

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, rinzler said:

Damn, you went all in - Msuper X for a first wheel! Everything I read about the Tesla was hinting that a noob shouldn't get it but I did. At least you've future proofed yourself.

Advanced euc or not I think if you treat the wheel with respect then it will treat you accordingly. Ride to your limits. Enjoy it! 

Glad I have not been the only noob to be paranoid about the tummy rumbles and whining. Temps are also something I have been reassured about.

Yup! I started with a Segway M320, but after a few weeks of the thing constantly tilting me back and beeping as I attempted to cruise at over 10mph, I wanted something that could go faster. A YouTube vortex somehow got me to watching Chooch's videos, and that's when I made a 4am impulsive decision that I had to have an MSX lol.  Now, about a week in, broken furniture and bloody ankles, today I finally got it going up and down my street. I will not give up until I master the beast! 

• Upvote 1

I have a mten1 with planetary gears, and gears sound very different and much louder than the MSX.  Its a whine that increases with RPM and very loud (like you can hear it from 20 feet away).  If the noise is a concern, the new Nikola has a much smoother power delivery and is just as strong as the MSX without the same sounds (from what I read from the new reports).