First wheel

MansardThug

Hi all,

I’m shifting down from my car towards an electric future and have been in a quandary over what type of device to start with. I had my heart set on a Falcon Zero 10 scooter right up until I became aware of EUCs...now I’m tempted (by the dark side?) and seriously considering a unicycle. 

This will be a full time commitment and once I’m in I intend to see it through, learning as much as possible. Question is: what should I get?

I want to get something I can stick with long term. I don’t want to shell out for a new wheel once I’ve learnt how to ride because for me here in New Zealand the cost (exchange) is rather prohibitive so whatever I get will be it for some time. So I’m thinking something I can dial back while learning and then unleash later on. 

I welcome any suggestions and sage advice. Am I going about it the wrong way? Should I just stick with the scooter for now? Lotsa questions. 

The bottom line for me is: the Jetsons told me this could be a reality so if this is true, I want to live in the future. 

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for tagging me in @esaj, and welcome to the future @MansardThug!

Christchurch is ideal for an EUC, with lots of "cycle accessible" routes, so we should be able to guide you to a suitable wheel (whether or not it is one that Roll.nz can supply).

As mentioned I am an EUC reseller (at www.roll.nz), but before that I was an enthusiast and I still am... So if you want to discuss more in detail feel free to contact me directly - phone and email details are on our website. And a discussion would be good, as there are a lot of factors to consider to ensure you select a suitable wheel. Things like range required, terrain you will be covering, riding style and rider weight.

And if you would rather continue the discussion here, please share some more detail (as mentioned above) and I am sure the forum members would be happy to share their opinions.

• Upvote 2

Hi Guys and thanks!

@The Fat Unicyclist that's great to hear! I've had a quick look around your website. I will drop you a line.

For adding extra info here, the following kind of applies to me atm:

• Approx 12.5 km commute (round trip) every day
  • Flat terrain all the way, all either suburban or CBD
  • Riding style...timid? :unsure: dunno yet but if my cycle commute is anything to go by it will be caution mixed with paranoia, judging by the Christchurch drivers.
  • Weight is about 90kg

I've seen one, maybe two EUC riders around town so it feels pretty far flung down here. Noticed quite a few in Wellington when I was there for Easter recently. Seems like a lot more exposure there, maybe just bigger population base.

I've been looking at all sorts of vids to get an understanding of the activity - instructionals, gear lists, dos and dont's. I'm not as flexible and brave as I once was so I feel the need to take my time and be prepared.

1 hour ago, MansardThug said:

I've seen one, maybe two EUC riders around town so it feels pretty far flung down here. Noticed quite a few in Wellington when I was there for Easter recently. Seems like a lot more exposure there, maybe just bigger population base.

I've been looking at all sorts of vids to get an understanding of the activity - instructionals, gear lists, dos and dont's. I'm not as flexible and brave as I once was so I feel the need to take my time and be prepared.

OMG... You were in Wellington last weekend! If only we had touched base last week - we could have rolled out the red carpet for you and perhaps even got you up and rolling on an EUC (actually the riding bit would have been more likely, as we don't actually have a red carpet).

There are actually a few riders around Christchurch - at least 5 that I know of - but I guess it is all a matter of whether you happen to cross paths with them. 

I visit Christchurch 3-4 times a year and I think it would be a great place to not use a car. With all of the roading repairs still underway, and the addition of cycle lanes as they tidy everything up (as well as the flatness, of course) it will soon be a joy to ride right through and around the city.

You are taking the right approach by being cautious - Mrs. TFU is learning at the moment and is quite focussed on the safety aspect too. So many riders learn the hard way when it really doesn't need to be that way any more!

Anyway, I think we can definitely discuss a few wheels that might be suitable for you, so do let me know when you are ready and we can take it from there...   :)

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:44 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks for tagging me in @esaj, and welcome to the future @MansardThug!

Christchurch is ideal for an EUC, with lots of "cycle accessible" routes, so we should be able to guide you to a suitable wheel (whether or not it is one that Roll.nz can supply).

I'm way up north in Los Angeles but can recognize a good seller from a distance.  That you'd offer to help regardless of purchase destination shows you're an asset to the wheel community.  Kudos - and my sympathies for the ugliness last month.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LZMutant said:

I'm way up north in Los Angeles but can recognize a good seller from a distance.  That you'd offer to help regardless of purchase destination shows you're an asset to the wheel community.  Kudos - and my sympathies for the ugliness last month.

Thank you for your thoughts... Last month was quite out of the ordinary for us and will still take a bit more processing to fully comprehend.   :(

As for my willingness to help - That comes from being an enthusiast before anything else. While I am not a "greenie" I really don't understand the global obsession with cars, so everyone who isn't using one is a win as far as I am concerned!

And besides... Riding an EUC is the most fun you can have with safety gear on!!!   :D

• Upvote 1