EUC Legality in Canada

The Moo

1 hour ago, arha said:

Hi folks, how about going by public transport with euc? Is it allowed? Subway, go train, bus?

I’ve only taken mine on the subway, the only thing I was asked to do was to turn off my flashing red lights, as it can interfere with the conductor’s signal lights. I’ve been on the GO train as well zero issues. Not yet tried on a bus or st car. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 2:02 PM, The Moo said:

Hey Guys,

I just finished reading up on the definition of an electric bike in  Canada, and an EUC almost fits. Here is an excerpt from the Power-assisted Bicycle Laws.

Okay. Break down time!

• (a) The extendable handle is the steering handlebar and there are obviously pedals on an EUC.
  • (b) One wheel is definitely less than three.
  • (c) Technically someone could scoot the EUC like a skateboard using muscular power. Why someone would do that, I don't know!
  • (d)
    • (i) Here is where the problem starts. A KS-16S for example is 1200W, even the Pocket Rocket (MTen 3) has a motor of 800W.
    • (ii) Does not apply, instead uses (iii)
    • (iii) The accelerator controller is the gyro, so when you leans back, the power ceases and then starts to act as the break.
    • (iv) Just lock the EUC to 32km/h in the manufacturer's app. (I know it should be factory limited but Shhhh! :whistling:)
  • (e) Another problem, there for sure is not a label on the wheel.
  • (f)
    • (i) You could technically pop a power squat while riding and hit the on/off button. Again, why would someone ever do that? (someone please post a photo of this!)
    • (ii) Disregard as it was an "or" and part (i) was used

Canada is very close to having EUC's fully legal as a power-assisted bicycle!

What could be some presentable arguments about an EUC having more than 500W and not having a little sticker?

Any help in this research would be appreciated!!

Connecticut has a PEV label law, no mention of official languages, so I printed it in Chinese. Not a single CT cop knows about the law.

You use your muscles, feet, and bodyweight to press on the pedals to move. "pedal assisted"

It is best if you can avoid licensing and insuring your EUC. Know what words and phrases you can use to avoid that.

I'll be in NB and ON this summer, outside Toronot and Moncton. Any issues?

• Thanks 1

last summer i approached the toronto police on 3 separate occasions,  each time asking the officer(s) if its okay for euc's using the bike lanes.

all 3 replies where basically 'yes'.  if anything,  they were curious about the device,  they really didnt care much for my question.  what i see now, early spring 2023, is that euc riders capable of keeping up with city traffic,  are riding on city streets now.  and boldly positioning themselves in the left most part of the car lane.  i havent seen car drivers object to this nor do they give euc riders attitude.  but during rush hour traffic,  where most cars are crawling,  car drivers do pump their car horns at euc riders sailing down the bike lanes....

i think toronto police have alot more things to prioritize other than ticketing euc riders...

• 3 weeks later...

…technically….

Perhaps the bye-laws will have to be revisited in light of the urge to go ‘net zero’/electric? Do you ever see e-scooters or esk8 boards? Apply for it as a personal disability device (cite your bad feet and wrists, like our Australian friend on YT?), the type that takes up minimal road space.

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 2

Oddly enough I have only ever seen two e scooters in this town, I am sure there is more, but it is oil an gas land. The by laws will likely be changed, the city council was in the news last fall talking about this very issue with e-bikes/etc and were all for updating it.  See where it goes though, haven't; seen anything further on it.  

• 3 months later...

I'll be driving up I-95 through Maine, then New Brunswick to Moncton for training and a curling tournament. 

1. Any Issues driving in my car with an EUC across the Border?

2. Any issues in Moncton or New Brunswick?

Thanks in advance.

Before talking about whether insurance is required, there should be studies of EUC statistics including number of EUCs, their accident records, value of EUCs, technical details various kinds of EUCs.   Does it at this point look like a task the government would want to take on? No, there are not enough EUCs for the government to conduct any serious surveys. I think all forms of personal vehicles, electric or not, should be regulated by speed. We all have seen bicyclist fly by dangerously like hell. But when was the last time a bicyclist is cited for speeding? None that I can remember. If you ride on the road, you are exposing your own lives at risk. Something regulations won't help much when you decided to do stupid things. We should always keep thing simple without complicated them with layers of red tapes and bureaucracies!

• Confused 1

I was part of a decent sized group ride today that went through downtown Toronto. At a set of lights a cop on a bicycle stopped right next to me and checked out the group of us. Then turned the corner and rode away. Most seem chill with us so far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

I was part of a decent sized group ride today that went through downtown Toronto. At a set of lights a cop on a bicycle stopped right next to me and checked out the group of us. Then turned the corner and rode away. Most seem chill with us so far. 

That's a good sign.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, techyiam said:

That's a good sign.

That’s actually two good interactions with the police this week. As I mentioned in the other thread a cop in a car asked us to be sure to follow the rules of the road and to ride safely. A few days ago. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Y'all sound like you're discovering the police for the first time.  Just put yourself in their shoes.... how would yu react if yu see a pev user acting like a jerk ???  Riding in a very dangerous way, sailing down the strret at a breakneck speed... i brought up this very same topic on the toronto blah blah blah e riders facebook group and was mocked for my overly concerned views on euc use and riding etiquette.  I'm looking forward to those riders getting the first tickets and convictions in toronto...

CDINPHX,

it sounds like you are one of the few that actually ride with any foresight.  its too bad that your attitude cannot be passed on to euc riders in larger cosmopolitan cities, and also to the videographers of those questionable review videos.  im from small-town southern ontario and i grew up in an environment where most people were courteous and mostly respectful.  your experience feels so familiar to me and you are very lucky to have that in this day and age.

you will ALWAYS come across negative attitudes but thats mainly due to ignorance and misinformation.

keep on riding and enjoy the remainder of the 2023 riding season as well !  your post is much appreciated.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:06 PM, techyiam said:

That's a good sign.

We'll be visiting Vancouver in October from San Francisco with our EUCs soon. Good to see positive signs of police non-interference. 

1 hour ago, CDINPHX said:

Anyways,  they had lots of questions about the wheel and how difficult it was to learn/etc. They also commented on how respectful I was  when riding in traffic and on the trails as they had seen me zipping around town before and were curious about the wheel. Asked them if there was any issue, the guy said just follow the rules of the road and don’t riding like a jerk like the guys on the crotch rockets. Which to me is a glorified enjoy have fun be respectful of others which I already do, no crazy riding around here, draws to much attention.  

We need more good-will EUC ambassadors to show the public that we are good, green riders in the communities!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scubadragonsan said:

We'll be visiting Vancouver in October from San Francisco with our EUCs soon. Good to see positive signs of police non-interference. 

@Hellkitten is from Toronto.

My experience riding in Vancouver has been ticket-free. I ride basically everyday, rain or shine. But I don't normally ride on major roads. 

Having said that, according to Bradley from Eevees, he knows of about about 10 tickets that have been issued to riders just this year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bpong said:

CDINPHX,

it sounds like you are one of the few that actually ride with any foresight.  its too bad that your attitude cannot be passed on to euc riders in larger cosmopolitan cities, and also to the videographers of those questionable review videos.  im from small-town southern ontario and i grew up in an environment where most people were courteous and mostly respectful.  your experience feels so familiar to me and you are very lucky to have that in this day and age.

you will ALWAYS come across negative attitudes but thats mainly due to ignorance and misinformation.

keep on riding and enjoy the remainder of the 2023 riding season as well !  your post is much appreciated.

8 hours ago, Scubadragonsan said:

We need more good-will EUC ambassadors to show the public that we are good, green riders in the communities!

Thanks, I just glad I grew up before the post everything to the internet for people to see culture we are in.  Otherwise I’d be right there on the videos doing stupid shit. Damn I just dated myself!  So for the record YouTube came out the year after I graduated university. Which I believe was 2005, we still had crappy flip phones or the indestructible Nokia 8190(think that was the one?)man that phone was small but you could hammer a nail In with it and the phone would keep on ticking. I still have one somewhere!!  

It didn’t hurt I grew up in small town New Brunswick, where you were called out by people for doing dumb things and you still got Spanked.  You just learned to hide it better or out of sight out of mind so it wasn’t in the public. 

Anyways hope that those you tubers, realize that they are shedding a bad light on the sport with some of the crazy videos they post up. Don’t get me wrong they are impressive riders and likely great people, they just haven’t realized the impact they are having on the sport with the shit they are posting(zipping thur cars, trails, by pedestrians/etc). And yes I find it fun to ride fast/jumps/etc but do it away from people/traffic and be courteous around others and always take the timE to interact with others in a 

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

I have had 4 that I can count in the 2 years I've been riding EUC's . My interactions with pedestrians have been overwhelmingly positive so far which has been great :)

Majority of mine have been as well, the negatives are typically just dumb comments. I just say thanks and keep on going. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

I have had 4 that I can count in the 2 years I've been riding EUC's . My interactions with pedestrians have been overwhelmingly positive so far which has been great :)

Majority of mine have been as well, the negatives are typically just dumb comments. I just say thanks and keep on going. 

• Like 1

great touring video with respectful riders.  youtube needs more of this content.

i have ridden on that windy highway on a motorcycle trip many eons ago and it hasnt changed.  i would think the wind is worse on an euc rider than a motorcycle rider.

may they have many more memorable tours in the future !!!  thank you for posting,  there's still hope yet !!!

• Like 2