The next big flop: "Internet of (incompatible) things"

esaj

How am I not surprised again: http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/37522.html

The dystopian future we're heading towards isn't Gibsonian giant megacorporations engaging in physical warfare, it's one where buying a new toaster means replacing all your lightbulbs or discovering that the code making your home alarm system work is now considered a copyright infringement. Is there a market where I can invest in IP lawyers?

And we're setting up for this cycle again in spades with Apple HomeKit. You'd have to be an idiot of a device vendor to sign up for it. Not only does Apple control the hub, you also have to pay them 7% of your revenues to connect to it and buy a custom encryption chip from Apple to put into your product. This is going to make HomeKit devices twice the price of the competition and no one will buy them.

I think I will keep turning the lights, heating, toaster etc on and off "manually" ;)

its still hilariously decadent to turn on your desk-lamp not by reaching out to it, but using the cellphone. :lol::lol:

But yeah, its again the same ecosystem wars that doesnt help anyone. Companies wont sell as much as they could and customers that dont pay 2000% attention and research for hours on the internet get ripped off constantly. Heck, some of the products using the same protocol are incompatible... <_<

its still hilariously decadent to turn on your desk-lamp not by reaching out to it, but using the cellphone. :lol::lol:

Good luck with that.  

In practice, you'll have to manually power cycle it a few times while killing and restarting the app before you get connected, and only then will you be able to command it from the on state to the actually producing light one.

so far it works 90% of the time on first try, at 5% i forgot to activate my wifi on the phone for local access and the rest are the mentioned app crashes. but the hardware involved works pretty solid since its still hardwired to the wallswitch and works manually. But like with many things its still in an early development stage, kind of gold-rush times everybody running out securing their claims. I am fully aware that this system either prevails or perishes. But I wanted to be an early adopter, so I need to deal with the downsides.

How am I not surprised again: http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/37522.html

Quote from article: And we're setting up for this cycle again in spades with Apple HomeKit. You'd have to be an idiot of a device vendor to sign up for it. Not only does Apple control the hub, you also have to pay them 7% of your revenues to connect to it and buy a custom encryption chip from Apple to put into your product. This is going to make HomeKit devices twice the price of the competition and no one will buy them.

As if Apple doesn't already make enough money. They make decent enough products but their history of greedy business practices (attempted price fixing of books, attempts to get % of revenues from purchases made via Amazon app and others.) is one of the reasons why I prefer not to support them if I have a choice.

The sad part is there will still be some people who will buy and support their expensive HomeKit even with the exorbitant licensing model. But then they are the same people who would buy Apple water ;)

apple_water_fanboy_ad.jpg

apple_water_page.jpg

Archived