External battery

adi

A slight thread-hijacking, but is there some way to differentiate the wattage of a resistor from outlooks alone (outside of the physical size)? At least I know of no way, the colors don't seem to tell anything etc.

Ngcp2Gr.png

Here's some resistors I have, the 1/8W and 1/4W resistors look exactly the same. AFAIK, the color rings only tell the resistor-value and (possibly, if there's 5 bands) the tolerance, but not wattage? Not that I check the rings anyway, I'm colorblind, so I just measure them with a meter unless they're in a marked strip, and if I confuse them when they're separate, I put them all in a box of miscellanous 1/8W's, as I cannot tell which they are ;)  1W resistors are easy to distinguish, as they're larger, and power resistors usually hold their values printed on the sides. As another sidenote, I seriously doubt that even those large power resistors can actually dissipate 50W (at least without a heatsink), yet alone 100W, but maybe someone can tell from experience if they're actually capable of that? Just ordered a few of them from Aliexpress for testing purposes, if I ever need to test larger currents over a load or such...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, esaj said:

Here's some resistors I have, the 1/8W and 1/4W resistors look exactly the same. ... As another sidenote, I seriously doubt that even those large power resistors can actually dissipate 50W (at least without a heatsink), yet alone 100W, but maybe someone can tell from experience if they're actually capable of that? 

For axial lead resistors below 1/2 watt the packaging seems to vary enough that it is hard to tell them apart. For the 1/2 and 1 watt values the ones I have are in the cylindrical packages and always the same size. Those power resistors are only good for their rated power when they're mounted to a heatsink, the spec sheet will tell you what size you need. Here's a sample sheet.

On 10/12/2015 at 10:01 AM, zlymex said:

Off the shell external battery for EUC, 32*18650 2.2Ah cells.
The reason I cut it open is because of the very small discharge current. Discharge is protected by a 2A recoverable fuse(yellow) which gives only about 1.5A continues current. Later I replace it with a 10A normal fuse. This pack is for IPS EUC with direct internal battery connection.
Internally nearly the same with Gotway battery.

13a-312Wh1.jpg

20150406_195104s.jpg

The thing abt parallel connection is to use the same 18650 lion batt. My question is abt highdrain like 20A / 30A / 35A 18650 batts, do they have to be the same when I build my external batt & connect it via parallel as discussed here?

On 2016/1/5 at 9:45 PM, joelren2k said:

The thing abt parallel connection is to use the same 18650 lion batt. My question is abt highdrain like 20A / 30A / 35A 18650 batts, do they have to be the same when I build my external batt & connect it via parallel as discussed here?

It's better to use the same type in this situation otherwise different internal resistance and different discharge curve make unbalance loading of cells.

Hi everybody l'm riding a ks18"680WH and open the cover of it.there is still some space to add internal battery.so anyone knows how to add extra battery?l was trying to add 2 pcs of 6600Mah in it.dont know whether the computer box will support or not.

14 hours ago, Jed said:

Hi everybody l'm riding a ks18"680WH and open the cover of it.there is still some space to add internal battery.so anyone knows how to add extra battery?l was trying to add 2 pcs of 6600Mah in it.dont know whether the computer box will support or not.

For 1360Wh version, there are two 340Wh pack on each side. However, the wiring is in series connection. That is, charge first 340Wh, then the output charge the second 340Wh, it in tyrn charge the 680Wh, finally the output of the 680Wh goes to the mainboard.
20160110_172247s.thumb.jpg.1f8c98e438f82

Hi Jed,  don't worry about how many ampere the battery packs are, I mean wattage. You can connect any wattage battery pack together. I connected a 174Wh pack with other two 132Wh packs each. The only thing that is important is the VOLTAGE !!!.  The voltage must be the SAME for all battery packs. The EUC computer will support any 60 volt battery pack or more battery packs connected in parallel. Connect thick cables together (these go to the main controller board) and thin cables (these go to the charging port) together. Obviously every battery pack must have its own protection circuit board inside.

Next spring I'll buy a KS18, so I'm very interested in it.

4 hours ago, Frankman said:

Hi Jed,  don't worry about how many ampere the battery packs are, I mean wattage. You can connect any wattage battery pack together. I connected a 174Wh pack with other two 132Wh packs each. The only thing that is important is the VOLTAGE !!!.  The voltage must be the SAME for all battery packs. The EUC computer will support any 60 volt battery pack or more battery packs connected in parallel. Connect thick cables together (these go to the main controller board) and thin cables (these go to the charging port) together. Obviously every battery pack must have its own protection circuit board inside.

@Frankmanhi l ask one of the external battery seller that 4400Mah can go how many k/m.because l want to use on my kingsong18A,680Wh,he said can go approximately 120-140 km!!so what do you think?

22 hours ago, Jed said:

Hi everybody,anyone try Rockwheel 12"before?l was trying to get one for off road trial riding.any suggestion,12" or 16" better?

@JedRockwheel 12in is good for a a 12in wheel. If your doing a lot of hill climbing, being geared comes in handy. But it also makes for a loud wheel. Everyone will notice you coming up forsure. Speed is pretty good as well. Gets scary when passing 20km. Maybe because I'm more used to riding my 14in and 18in wheels more. Or maybe it's me getting worried of reaching the 25km/h max speed. But if you need something that's compact and light, this works really well. 12 vs 16 have their differences. Really depends on what you are looking to use it for.

Hi Jed,   4400mAh is two packs of 132Wh  (each pach is 16 batteries 18650 connected in series, each battery being 2200mAh, so 2200mAh x 60V = 132000mWh = 132Wh. You will add a total of 264Wh.
 Now, if with its 680Wh battery, the KS18 can run for 40km (I suppose because I do not have the KS18) adding a 264Wh battery that means 30% more Wh, I think it could run for about 52-55 km (40km + 30% = 52km). Hope I have been clear.

Anyway, to not make the KS18 too heavy, I think it would be better to have a backpack with the battery inside. In this way, the new battery can have any shape you want. Take a look to this for example: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/60V-Battery-Pack-10Ah-800w-e-bike-Battery-60v-Scooter-Battery-with-67-2v-2A-Charger/32376077343.html

But the important is  60V battery packs only.

On January 19, 2016 at 9:23 AM, NevNutz said:

@JedRockwheel 12in is good for a a 12in wheel. If your doing a lot of hill climbing, being geared comes in handy. But it also makes for a loud wheel. Everyone will notice you coming up forsure. Speed is pretty good as well. Gets scary when passing 20km. Maybe because I'm more used to riding my 14in and 18in wheels more. Or maybe it's me getting worried of reaching the 25km/h max speed. But if you need something that's compact and light, this works really well. 12 vs 16 have their differences. Really depends on what you are looking to use it for.

Hi @NevNutzmy weight is 90kg with my backpack stuff 5kg,all together is 95 kg can this Rockwheel 12" support my weight?

On January 18, 2016 at 4:45 AM, Frankman said:

Hi @Frankmanwhy the female connector cannot connect to the charger plug?l saw the internal battery that sell in the market also have a female connector to connect to the charge plug.

On January 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Frankman said:

Hi Jed,   4400mAh is two packs of 132Wh  (each pach is 16 batteries 18650 connected in series, each battery being 2200mAh, so 2200mAh x 60V = 132000mWh = 132Wh. You will add a total of 264Wh.
 Now, if with its 680Wh battery, the KS18 can run for 40km (I suppose because I do not have the KS18) adding a 264Wh battery that means 30% more Wh, I think it could run for about 52-55 km (40km + 30% = 52km). Hope I have been clear.

Anyway, to not make the KS18 too heavy, I think it would be better to have a backpack with the battery inside. In this way, the new battery can have any shape you want. Take a look to this for example: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/60V-Battery-Pack-10Ah-800w-e-bike-Battery-60v-Scooter-Battery-with-67-2v-2A-Charger/32376077343.html

But the important is  60V battery packs only.

@Frankmancan l connect the female connector (picture)to the 10ah external battery that you recommend me?

image.png

image.png

@Jed the output of the external battery is to be connected with the output of the internal battery that's all. Pay attention to the polarities. Normally, any battery pack has two pairs of cables. Thick red & black is the power output and thin red & black  is for charging the battery. This weekend I'll post some pictures so you can clearly see how I connected the batteries. Looking at the picture you uploaded the ext batt. seems to be correctly connected to the internal EUC batt.

image.thumb.png.e809b100d8ba0e1d8043b465

Isn't it  better to join the female plug to the ext battery then straight away use it to charge into the charge plug that already built in the  Euc?this is easy work and safe because we didn't interrupt the internal body.and our euc warranty still remain option.

Anybody of the euc community come to Malaysia please call me-0129527417 l'll take you to ride on our different kind of off road.actually l'm really fell in love with this euc.but the brand just fail me.but still some branded l never try.l already order a Rockwheel 12" for aggressive trial climbing.hope this one will smack down this ks18A.

actually l love this kingsong very much and l recommend to all my cyclist friend but now no more.when they heard kingsong they already "phobia"!the picture is my cyclist friend and l will get them involved in euc sports but not "kingsong"anymore!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On January 21, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Jed said:

Hi @Frankmanwhy the female connector cannot connect to the charger plug?l saw the internal battery that sell in the market also have a female connector to connect to the charge plug.

@Frankmancan l connect the female connector (picture)to the 10ah external battery that you recommend me?

image.png

image.png

Hi @Frankmancan l use the battery in the picture to be external battery?just changed the female plug only.

image.png

@Jed Hi Jed,  yes you can connect the female connector to the charger plug of the KS18.  But this is not the best solution  because the charger plug of any EUC is current limited. So through this port you will never have all the power (mean Amperes) of the new external battery. So, I repeat, it is much better to connect the external battery (using a very reliable connector like XT60) in parallel with the internal battery, as I already said in other posts.

@JedI don't recommend buy a RW12 because I'm sure you will hate it soon. RW12 is an old EUC with a lot of noise, good for slope climb but not good for hill climb. It's easy to get hot, no overheat protection(just shut off), and 12 inch is not good for off-road. 

16 hours ago, zlymex said:

@JedI don't recommend buy a RW12 because I'm sure you will hate it soon. RW12 is an old EUC with a lot of noise, good for slope climb but not good for hill climb. It's easy to get hot, no overheat protection(just shut off), and 12 inch is not good for off-road. 

@zlymex so which one u recommend for my style.l like go off road sometimes extreme and when reach some nice road keep speeding sometimes if don't fall will never stopped.but this RW12 l use is to trail climbing about 9km.theres a hill here for Mtb climbing and is extremely hard cause a lot of tree roots.i use this ks18" is too difficult so try this one hope doing well.

On 2016/1/25 at 9:49 AM, Jed said:

@zlymex so which one u recommend for my style.l like go off road sometimes extreme and when reach some nice road keep speeding sometimes if don't fall will never stopped.but this RW12 l use is to trail climbing about 9km.theres a hill here for Mtb climbing and is extremely hard cause a lot of tree roots.i use this ks18" is too difficult so try this one hope doing well.

I'm hesitate to recommending people EUCs because:
---- I don't know all the wheels
---- I don't know exactly what they require
---- I believe a rider needs to try a wheel for sometime before he/she really knows the wheel well.

Archived