Where to practice?

Adam.

Actually, the Glide 3 did not take very much space at first, the hop-on-and-oops stage. After that, a park with paved paths is ideal. I found the paved paths helpful, vs a dizzying wide-open space. You did not mention whether your apartment is in a great big old stone castle - if so, the broad castle wall could also work well, as long as it had sturdy parapet walls. As for the park, you may go in the very early morning, so as not to be a nuisance. Now then, in the very beginning, although you do not need much space, the space should be indestructible. You will bend all the lampshades. By the way, once I had graduated to the park, early-morning joggers gave me quite a bit more encouragement than I had expected.

Me and my wife learned together... She has a Glide 3 and I have a KS18L.  We found a grocery store with a medical center next door.   The grocery store has carts that we borrowed to get our balance and feel of movement (Jason at ewheels recommended this).  Use small carts if you can... really, it's just for the feel of movement.  The medical center is really 9-5 m-f so the parking lot was totally empty and we practiced early evening and on weekends.  

We then found the best way to learn is that if one person walks with the person learning to wheel, by holding on... the person learning will place a lot of weight on the arm of the person walking... then less weight... then they lean on just the hand... then a couple fingers... then you really just balance and there you go.   It seems to just click.   It really only took about a week to learn basic balance.  More time then was just riding around the medical center parking lot getting better.  We just learned around October.  We now ride 20+ mile rides.

Good Luck!

On 12/1/2018 at 1:09 PM, Adam. said:

Hi guys, I just got my Glide 3 in the mail yesterday and i dont have much of a yard or enough room in my house to practice well. What should i look for?

The dirt of a baseball field/diamond was the perfect spot for me. Hard packed dirt made for an easy rolling surface and hard falls didn't hurt myself or the wheel.

Archived