Early Signs That My Z10 Is Failing?

Marty Backe

Twice this evening, my Z10 started tilting back almost to a degree that would force me off the wheel. Once it happened when I was stopped at a light, holding onto a pole. The other time I was waiting for a light and doing some mellow reversals (no strain on the motor).

Periodically, not every ride, there have been slight tilt-back sensations when nearly stopped. Plus when I turn on the wheel sometimes I'll have to re-calibrate because the pedals stay tilted (usually forward).

So I have the uneasy feeling that it's going to fail hard at some point. I don't know of course. Maybe it won't get worse, but there's no doubt that the pedal calibration on the Z10 sucks. At least on my wheel. I never have had a calibration issue on all of my Gotway and KingSong wheels.

I have a bit over 400-miles on my Z10.

This does not make me feel good since I ordered z10 from ewheels for Nov delivery. Thinking of switching to KS 18L.

Tilt back sensation when almost stooped: Possible reasons I guess: 1. I heard that z10 has turning assistance in firmware, which tilt the wheel back a bit when it detects you turn. This is to overcome the tilt forward when turning in early models. 2. Braking assistance is on. 3. Overcharging warning.

Losing calibration: This is bad.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Twice this evening, my Z10 started tilting back almost to a degree that would force me off the wheel. Once it happened when I was stopped at a light, holding onto a pole. The other time I was waiting for a light and doing some mellow reversals (no strain on the motor).

Periodically, not every ride, there have been slight tilt-back sensations when nearly stopped. Plus when I turn on the wheel sometimes I'll have to re-calibrate because the pedals stay tilted (usually forward).

So I have the uneasy feeling that it's going to fail hard at some point. I don't know of course. Maybe it won't get worse, but there's no doubt that the pedal calibration on the Z10 sucks. At least on my wheel. I never have had a calibration issue on all of my Gotway and KingSong wheels.

I have a bit over 400-miles on my Z10.

@Marty Backe It is very strange that you have reported this weird calibration issue with your wheel, almost since it's arrival. It seems that it may have developed into another phase, from what you describe here. Have you come across anyone else that has a similar issue with the calibration not holding Marty?

I have only had mine for just over a month now and put just over 500 Kms on it, but have not had to touch the calibration setting once (not even when I initially took it out of the box for the first time) with the pedals constantly holding their parallel/level to the ground setting on every single start up!

My firmware is still at 1.0.2 and stating that it is also up to date, although I know you and others are probably updated to at least the 1.0.6 firmware? Not sure if that has any bearing on your issue or you just need to get Jason to help you out with support.

Take this with a grain of salt, I’m at nearly 500 miles and there have been a few occasions in the last couple of weeks where it felt like my pedals were tilted ever so slightly forward.  Each time it was right after I had powered on the wheel, it always went away when I started riding any distance, and it was so ephemeral that I can’t rule out all of it being in my head.  Certainly, it was nothing as severe as you describe.

One time I turned my Z10 on without standing on it and it immediately started to stutter and shake with a strong vibration. It surprised me and I turned it off within one second of turning on. It seemed as if it couldn't decide its correct orientation. I then started it again and no issues ever since. I've taken it on probably 50 rides slow and fast, long and short. Never dropped. Of all my wheels, I trust it the most to run close errands at low speed with no safety equipment. Don't know why, just feels sturdy. Inclines and declines are another story, feels sketchy downhill.

2 hours ago, EUCMania said:

This does not make me feel good since I ordered z10 from ewheels for Nov delivery. Thinking of switching to KS 18L.

Tilt back sensation when almost stooped: Possible reasons I guess: 1. I heard that z10 has turning assistance in firmware, which tilt the wheel back a bit when it detects you turn. This is to overcome the tilt forward when turning in early models. 2. Braking assistance is on. 3. Overcharging warning.

Losing calibration: This is bad.

I still love the Z10, but clearly mine has had calibration issues. However, not every owner has reported this. Yet clearly Ninebot treats calibration a bit different than the other manufacturers. For instance, you can calibrate the pedals angle with an offset like you can other wheels. It only allows you to calibrate the pedals level.

I don't know where you heard about "turning assistance". I've ridden the Z10 for almost 800-miles. There is no such thing.

I'm sure your Z10 will be fine. I'd stick with the Z10. It's such a unique wheel. The 18L is nice, but it's more of a generic wheel. Go for the unique experience and exciting looks of the Z10.

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

@Marty Backe It is very strange that you have reported this weird calibration issue with your wheel, almost since it's arrival. It seems that it may have developed into another phase, from what you describe here. Have you come across anyone else that has a similar issue with the calibration not holding Marty?

I have only had mine for just over a month now and put just over 500 Kms on it, but have not had to touch the calibration setting once (not even when I initially took it out of the box for the first time) with the pedals constantly holding their parallel/level to the ground setting on every single start up!

My firmware is still at 1.0.2 and stating that it is also up to date, although I know you and others are probably updated to at least the 1.0.6 firmware? Not sure if that has any bearing on your issue or you just need to get Jason to help you out with support.

The calibration does not seem to be a universal problem, but I have heard from other Z10 owners that have similar issues. You're probably good if you haven't seen anything yet.

I also had tilting issues issues with z10. Mine was tilting forward. I think it is temperatural gyro drift issue once we bring the wheel from warm room into cold weather.  Once I recalibrate the sensors in cold weather the wheel works fine. It is anoying to do each time though. If this tilting is because of temp changes, then ninebot could address this with firmware update. Hopefully it is not more serious hardware issue.

Archived