Choosing a new EUC for commuting in Shanghai

glorat

You can't sell overpriced 2-ton SUVs and build an electric car market if nobody wants to buy cars any longer when <$1000 electric ridables are better than $50000+ cars for moving around in the city. Better make sure electric ridables are crippled and made less practical than a regular old bicycle!

So bend over and open your wallet:eff0541f4a: A lot of people want to force you to give them your money. Car industry, insurances, oil, you name it.

Can't just have PEVs ruining all that!

But I thought China was committed to the electric transportation, cars, bicycles and why not unicycles. Especially with all the smog problems. I dont think eucs are cutting into the car market. I use my euc as a last mile for my e-car.

Think less of EUCs and more of scooters. People using scooters may reduce the number of cars they buy a lot, see the craze about the scooter rental companies in the U.S. (Lime etc.). Everyone living in a city can live without a car with a scooter, that wasn't really practical before.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:49 AM, z3n said:

Hi @glorat, AFAIK recently, there are new regulations about riding EUC in public area and also carrying it onto Subway in some big cities in China such as Beijing and Shanghai. You might face fines and confiscation. Please CMIIW. :blink:

Got any references to this? I know everything was banned 2 years ago but isn't being enforced. Right now there is no practical issue but a major traffic crack down is planned in Shanghai from this weekend due to VIP visitors. If ever enforcement will happen,this coming week is it! 

For that reason, I'm waiting to clear past next week before upgrading. (also hoping to get 11/11 discount) 

7 hours ago, glorat said:

Got any references to this? I know everything was banned 2 years ago but isn't being enforced. Right now there is no practical issue but a major traffic crack down is planned in Shanghai from this weekend due to VIP visitors. If ever enforcement will happen,this coming week is it! 

http://www.xinhuanet.com/city/2018-09/29/c_129963077.htm

http://finance.people.com.cn/n1/2018/1009/c1004-30330935.html

Some latest articles about Beijing's new traffic regulations. Couldn't find any about Shanghai yet though. Hope Shanghai doesn't follow. :facepalm:

Archived