Choosing a new EUC for commuting in Shanghai

glorat

Hi all,

Help me choose the right EUC to buy! 

I'm currently living in Shanghai, China and have been a happy owner of the Ninebot One C (2016 China version). Whilst my EUC was previously for fun, I moved home and it is now an integral part of my daily commute to work. I ride it to the metro station (just over 2km away), carry it onto the metro, then ride it to the office (another 2km) and carry it into the office. A roundtrip total of about 8km a day.

The main issues I have are that the 16kmh top cruising speed is a bit low for serious commute and the 16" while is both heavy and cumbersome for carrying into the metro. I guess a 14" would work better.

Based on this the criteria I think I have in mind are

• A lighter smaller wheel, e.g around 12kg weight, which probably means a 14" wheel
  • Higher power for higher top speed. E.g. at least 500W motor, for at least 20kmh cruising. I don't believe in riding faster than I can run so a peak 25kmh would be tops
  • Carry handle with engine cut-off, trolley handle are must, either built in or as accessories
  • A bit pretty... I love the look of my current Ninebot One
  • On sale in China
  • Range is not important
  • Budget is not important

From my initial look around, the most options that seem best fit are

• Inmotion V5F - except it isn't on sale in China, otherwise it seems perfect
  • Inmotion V5D - except there are issues with the spec
  • Ninebot One S2

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

3 hours ago, glorat said:

Hi all,

Help me choose the right EUC to buy! 

I'm currently living in Shanghai, China and have been a happy owner of the Ninebot One C (2016 China version). Whilst my EUC was previously for fun, I moved home and it is now an integral part of my daily commute to work. I ride it to the metro station (just over 2km away), carry it onto the metro, then ride it to the office (another 2km) and carry it into the office. A roundtrip total of about 8km a day.

The main issues I have are that the 16kmh top cruising speed is a bit low for serious commute and the 16" while is both heavy and cumbersome for carrying into the metro. I guess a 14" would work better.

Based on this the criteria I think I have in mind are

• A lighter smaller wheel, e.g around 12kg weight, which probably means a 14" wheel
  • Higher power for higher top speed. E.g. at least 500W motor, for at least 20kmh cruising. I don't believe in riding faster than I can run so a peak 25kmh would be tops
  • Carry handle with engine cut-off, trolley handle are must, either built in or as accessories
  • A bit pretty... I love the look of my current Ninebot One
  • On sale in China
  • Range is not important
  • Budget is not important

From my initial look around, the most options that seem best fit are

• Inmotion V5F - except it isn't on sale in China, otherwise it seems perfect
  • Inmotion V5D - except there are issues with the spec
  • Ninebot One S2

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

How about Gotway Mten 3. It weighs only 11 kg, has enough speed for your needs and is on sale in Aliexpress. With a fast charger apparently you can almost fill the battery in two hours although your commute is so short you wont need the charge at work.

GotWay smallest one wheel 10 inch 512wh Mten 3 84V electric unicycle scooter
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/GHpS9Ku

3 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

How about Gotway Mten 3. It weighs only 11 kg, has enough speed for your needs and is on sale in Aliexpress. With a fast charger apparently you can almost fill the battery in two hours although your commute is so short you wont need the charge at work.

Wow... I just looked it up - thanks for the pointer. Yes, that does fit all the criteria and then some! What a set of awesome specs... for a price. I think the main issue would be how stable a 10" wheel would be at those speeds going across the odd bumps in the road. Even the idea of dropping from 16" to 14" took a bit of self-convincing originally.

Yeah, the wheel sure isnt for off roads, but I thought that for your urban commute use case it woulndt matter so much. Although I dont know what the road conditions in Shanghai are. I added a link to some ali dealer.

It seems I'd be wasting my money on things like the MCM5/KS14D with these huge batteries and ranges when I only need at most 20km of range and I'll never want to go above 25kmh anyway. Unless there is something compelling to justify a huge price hike. I may not be on a budget but I still want value for money!

The Inmotion v5d and Ninebot S2 seem to be the best value that fit the criteria that I've seen so far... With the m10 a possibility for a spurge choice if I'm brave enough to go for a 10" wheel

You want to go 20km at full speed?  Or the last few km at half speed?  For a full speed ride conservatively figure 20 wh per kilometer.  Overtaxing your batteries will shorten their life and potentially also risk a low bat cuttoff on an unexpected bump at the end of a long ride.

A top speed of 30 means a safe cruise at 25, with reserve power for getting over bumps and potholes.

MCM5 is also great choice but I agree probably overkill for your needs, though the one with a 210 wh battery is not too pricey. .  KS14D is also not as expensive as you might think.  Or pick up a used one, if you can find one for sale.

14 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

You want to go 20km at full speed?  Or the last few km at half speed?  For a full speed ride conservatively figure 20 wh per kilometer.  Overtaxing your batteries will shorten their life and potentially also risk a low bat cuttoff on an unexpected bump at the end of a long ride.

I think I'm with you on this point... my journey is only 10km a day, hence the desire to get 20km of range so I'll never fret about going hard for the 10km before I recharge.

2 hours ago, Ziiten said:

I added a link to some ali dealer.

16 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

KS14D is also not as expensive as you might think.  Or pick up a used one, if you can find one for sale.

I'm actually struggling to find official sellers for Gotway and King Song within China. jd.com is my goto in China where they have Ninebot, Inmotion and other brands but Gotway/KS aren't there. I can't see them in tmall either. Would be good at least to compare prices. Would be great if you someone has links.

(For reference, the NB S2 and V5D are both priced at about 3300 RMB, but "double eleven" is coming which may knock 10% or more off the price)

4 minutes ago, glorat said:

I think I'm with you on this point... my journey is only 10km a day, hence the desire to get 20km of range so I'll never fret about going hard for the 10km before I recharge.

I'm actually struggling to find official sellers for Gotway and King Song within China. jd.com is my goto in China where they have Ninebot, Inmotion and other brands but Gotway/KS aren't there. I can't see them in tmall either. Would be good at least to compare prices. Would be great if you someone has links.

(For reference, the NB S2 and V5D are both priced at about 3300 RMB, but "double eleven" is coming which may knock 10% or more off the price)

I think you can order direct from factory.

Gotway Luffy could also be a good choice, range is not huge, 10-20 km, but it weighs even less than Mten3 at 7,5 kg. You can see Ian at Speedyfeet riding it even off road although he does not recommed it. Max speed seems to be 23 km/h when the beeping starts. He specially recommends it for short commutes. Takes 1 1/2h to charge.

2017 Gotway Luffy 10inch Electric unicycle 130/17WHWH, only 7.5kg,30km/h,life 10-20km 
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cYdKKqbq

1 hour ago, Ziiten said:

Here's another similar light weight wheel but with 14" diameter: IPS I5 powered unicycle 2017 latest model 245 wh mini 7.5 kg
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bMhbnXky

Yes, the IPS i5 seems like the ideal choice for you! It seems like they’ve been pretty reliable. IPS has always focused on making lightweight commuter wheels. This is probably their best commuter wheel yet. 

35 minutes ago, csmyers said:

Yes, the IPS i5 seems like the ideal choice for you! It seems like they’ve been pretty reliable. IPS has always focused on making lightweight commuter wheels. This is probably their best commuter wheel yet. 

Except that there's no trolley handle (he said that's a must) and no cut-off switch.

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Except that there's no trolley handle (he said that's a must) and no cut-off switch.

But the wheel is so light you dont really need a trolley handle. You can just carry the thing.

The trolley handle really is likely a must (even if it is an extra paid accessory) because I've otherwise got several hundred meters in the metro and office area where I can't ride and even 7.5kg of dragging it around is going to be a pain.

The engine cutoff is a relative nice to have because my journey has lots of areas of short flights of stairs and it's getting very tiresome switching on/off just for a few seconds.

Based on the above, IPS i5 (give or take trolley issue) and the Luffy are added to my shortlist, assuming I can source them in China easily! Will also look at MCM5

Slightly offtopic but I just don't understand how the Luffy can get to such a high speed on just a 350W motor without cutouts! It might be some speed/torque trade-off but still makes me wonder whether it is safe or other brands are really conservative about top speeds.

Thanks for the thoughts! Seems no votes for the original V5D or S2 suggestions though... people don't like those for some reason?

Here in Thailand the MTen3 and MCM5 are the same price with the same battery config.  The MCM5 with the small 210wh battery, however, is the cheapest option.  Thats enough for a 10km ride, should leave you about 25% reserve battery by the end of that distance. Though 5 kilos heavier, it has a trolley handle. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be trolleyed up/down stairs with the motor on.  Anyone tried?

MCM5 is by far the best 14 inch wheel with a trolley handle and a cut-off switch (requiring both really limits what's available). Safest (because it's strong and has a big battery), fastest, looks great. I'd definitely get a big battery version. A small battery like 210Wh is bad from a safety and battery life/range standpoint.

11 hours ago, glorat said:

The trolley handle really is likely a must (even if it is an extra paid accessory) because I've otherwise got several hundred meters in the metro and office area where I can't ride and even 7.5kg of dragging it around is going to be a pain.

The engine cutoff is a relative nice to have because my journey has lots of areas of short flights of stairs and it's getting very tiresome switching on/off just for a few seconds.

Based on the above, IPS i5 (give or take trolley issue) and the Luffy are added to my shortlist, assuming I can source them in China easily! Will also look at MCM

The IPS i5 is so light that I would never use a trolly handle even if it had one. I had gone to events with it in a backpack and after 4-5 hours of walking around it does get a bit heavy but walking a few hundred meter shouldn't be any problem.

I actually learned on a ninebot One s2 and still own it together with my Inmotion V10F. Keeping the Ninebot for training and city commutes, whilst the inmotion is the overland tourer. Still like it a whole lot! The One s2 checks all your boxes except trolley handle, but I saw that some guys managed to install the Inmotion V5 trolley easily. The One S2 is small, maneuverable and should make your commute using 35-45% of the battery, depending on your weight and chosen trajectory.

The form factor needs a short time getting used to, as it is curved and you don’t touch it at all with the upper part of your legs. You just stand on it balancing, but that becomes second nature quickly. It cuts down max speed gradually from 24 km/h at 100% charge to around 18 km/h at 20% charge, that’s at least what it did on my last ride. Never hit complete limp mode yet.

One thing though: even though being relatively lightweigt, you wouldn’t want to carry it around over too long distances. Made some 700m close to a main road recently, I didn’t dare to ride on at 20km/h knowing vehicles fly in from behind at 90, so carried it through the farmland next to the road. Was a good workout, but wouldn’t want to have to do it for commuting...

On 10/28/2018 at 3:11 PM, glorat said:

Hi @glorat, AFAIK recently, there are new regulations about riding EUC in public area and also carrying it onto Subway in some big cities in China such as Beijing and Shanghai. You might face fines and confiscation. Please CMIIW. :blink:

4 minutes ago, z3n said:

Hi @glorat, AFAIK recently, there are new regulations about riding EUC in public area and also carrying it onto Subway in some big cities in China such as Beijing and Shanghai. You might face fines and confiscation. Please CMIIW. :blink:

Wow. I would have thought China was the least regulated country when it comes to electronic contraptions like EUC and such.

Archived