Disabling bluetooth on Mini Pro

Hello everyone,

New member here.  I've searched through this forum trying to find out if the Mini Pro can work with the bluetooth disabled, but did not find anything. 

I need to find a way to disable bluetooth from this unit so that no bluetooth communication is possible from this unit.  (I have my reasons.  It's for work)
I've already talked to Segway and Ninebot techs, but they advised that it can not be turned off by software.
From what I've gathered, I believe this (see picture) is the communication daughterboard for the unit.
If I disconnect this, this would essentially cut off the bluetooth portion and the speaker.
My question is.. has anyone tried this?  This the Mini Pro still work with it disconnected?  

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

communication daughterboard.jpg

Every EUC or Segway could work without BT

It was added to include optional ed extended monitoring and tracing functions 

If you have the scheme , you can simply find and isolate it...

Edited by zugu

You can equip the housing of the Bluetooth module with a Faraday cage.
For this, the inside of the housing should be covered with self-adhesive aluminum or copper foil.
As a result, the radio waves can no longer escape to the outside.

Furthermore, it would be possible to disconnect or cut through the antenna of the Bluetooth module.

Greetings Donald

I trimmed the bluetooth antenna on each of my MiniPROs so that the effective range dropped to around 6-10ft. Enough to get a signal for the rider's cellphone, not enough for a bystander to interfere with the operation of the MiniPRO, or even scan your presence. 

The antenna is cut in two places, as shown on the photo. I used a Dremel tool, you could also use a carbide scriber. One cut isolates the chip from the resonant element, the second de-tunes the zig-zag resonant element itself.

Anytime you want to re-instate the full Bluetooth range just (carefully) cover the cuts with a blob of solder :)

Bluetooth_annotated.jpg

Edited by trevmar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Apologize for the late reply back.  I know it's been a month since the last reply was written.  I appreciate all the feedback.  It's been a while since I've been able to go online.

So that's good know.  I was concern whether the calibration and whatever was stored in that circuit board.  Like the speed limiter.
I have not opened the unit yet, so I don't know the exact wiring,  However, knowing that the bluetooth module can be disconnected, what I am thinking is if I tap into the wires and place a toggle on/off switch somewhere on the outside.  So this would allow me to completely kill of communication to/from that module.  This would allow me quick access to enable and disabling bluetooth.

6 hours ago, audioqueso said:

Apologize for the late reply back.  I know it's been a month since the last reply was written.  I appreciate all the feedback.  It's been a while since I've been able to go online.

So that's good know.  I was concern whether the calibration and whatever was stored in that circuit board.  Like the speed limiter.
I have not opened the unit yet, so I don't know the exact wiring,  However, knowing that the bluetooth module can be disconnected, what I am thinking is if I tap into the wires and place a toggle on/off switch somewhere on the outside.  So this would allow me to completely kill of communication to/from that module.  This would allow me quick access to enable and disabling bluetooth.

cutting the traces will place an impedance mismatch on the chip, not good for it.  Trying to solder a switch to those locations will cause you to have a very mismatched antenna, but communication could be better or worse depending on your install so not the approach you want if you want to kill bluetooth. If you want to turn it off, just wire a switch into the positive power to the chip at some point. Check first if that causes any error code from the mini, i don't believe it will, i seem to remember people removing the module without issue. 

Edited by FreeRide

On 11/21/2018 at 2:44 AM, FreeRide said:

cutting the traces will place an impedance mismatch on the chip, not good for it.

An impedance mismatch? Yes, indeed, but the chip (NRF51822) can handle an infinite SWR. Maximum output power is only 4milliwatts in BLE. A couple of milliamps change in chip current when transmitting. There is no way the chip will be damaged by my modification to its antenna. I am not saying your power interruption is not a better mod, as long as the control CPU Firmware can be trusted to operate with non-functional Bluetooth. I chose the antenna method as the control CPU will never know anything has happened with this mod :)

• Upvote 1

I was not decided on any particular approach.  I am simply saying the options I see available.

Modification to the power lines would easy, would not affect bluetooth's signal.. but may inadvertently affect what the cpu see's and not see's.

On the other hand, modification to the bluetooth antenna may affect bluetooth operations (though I would only use bluetooth for enabling/disabling speed limit).. but less likely that the cpu detects any tampering with it.

• 1 year later...
Just now, Harry Goldsmith said:

I have a neighbor who gets headaches from bluetooth. 

As there's no basis for Bluetooth actually affecting your neighbor, just tell him you disabled it. You have Bluetooth, and he is happy (or rather will have to find something new to get attention);)

5 hours ago, Harry Goldsmith said:

For us novices out here who cannot open and operate on the circuitry, is there an easy way to disable bluetooth? 

I have a neighbor who gets headaches from bluetooth. 

We are concerned for his well being. 

The Bluetooth on MiniPRO is strong enough to bring on headaches, affect balance, etc, which is why I modified the antennas on all four of my machines using the modifications I posted earlier in this thread. Apparently you can also cut the power to the bluetooth chip, I have not looked into doing that. The antenna mods are sufficient to take the level down to the Bioinitiative safety level.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys. Tha ka for letting me post. I need some help please. I got an Ecorider from someone but with no remote. Is there anyway to get the ecorider transporter to start without this. I need some help please. Thanks.