Wow, the mten 3 and the Z10 are so much fun to ride....for a newbie

SanDiegoGuy

Not sure if I am now still considered a newbie at EUC or not but after having learned to ride the Glide 3 and have reached 70 miles riding on it, I took other people's advice on another forum post and jumped on riding my brand new mten3 and Z10.

I first tried the mten3 and thought that I would cause it to tumble and get scratch marks.  But to my surprise, I was able to ride it on my first try without any problem.  It was a little wobbly the first few minutes of riding, but after about 5 minutes, I was riding it without any problem.  I also found out that it was a really fun wheel.  It was very responsive and can turn and do a tight U-turn on a dime.  Wow!!!

Then after about 10 minutes of riding on the mten3, I decided to go into my house and exchange it with the Z10.  The brand new Z10 looks beautiful and I was so afraid of putting even a single scratch on it.  I thought that I may have the same luck as riding the mten3 and will get the hang of it right away.  I was right!  The Z10 was very easy to ride.  It was even easier than the Glide 3.  I have read multiple stories in which people have said that the Z10 has a different learning curve.  I just thought it was easy to ride.  But boy....the Z10 is heavy.  

Also, the Z10 was smooth and stable on flat ground.  I had a workout at attempting to ride off road on short grass.  I still need a lot of practice off road.

This is just my opinion and from someone who is still trying to get better at riding.  I am glad that I had the opportunity to have the Glide 3 as my learning wheel.  I believe that the Glide 3 is a great learning wheel.  It has helped me to ride the mten3 and Z10 without much trouble.

Nice!

Wider tires in general are easier (MTen3 - 2.75" wide; Z10 - 4.1" wide) coming from thinner tire experience (Glide 3 - 2.125" wide).

Going the other way is harder.

For the longest time, until this past year or so, we've only had EUC's that sported tires that were either 2.125" wide (typically 16" diameter or under) or 2.5" wide (typically 18" diameter). This past wheel cycle has introduce wider tires in the 2.75" wide variety (MTen3, Monster) and now widest 4.1" in the NB1Z.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Nice!

Wider tires in general are easier (MTen3 - 2.75" wide; Z10 - 4.1" wide) coming from thinner tire experience (Glide 3 - 2.125" wide).

Going the other way is harder.

For the longest time, until this past year or so, we've only had EUC's that sported tires that were either 2.125" wide (typically 16" diameter or under) or 2.5" wide (typically 18" diameter). This past wheel cycle has introduce wider tires in the 2.75" wide variety (MTen3, Monster) and now widest 4.1" in the NB1Z.

Small correction: Although the aftermarket tire that you and I installed on our MTen3's is indeed 2.75" wide, the stock tire that comes on the Mten3 is actually 3-inches wide.

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

This past wheel cycle has introduce wider tires in the 2.75" wide variety (MTen3, Monster) and now widest 4.1" in the NB1Z.

And of course the 3-inch tire on the MSuper X.

7 hours ago, who_the said:

And of course the 3-inch tire on the MSuper X.

Haha, nice catch! I subconsciously left the MSX out due to my disinterest in it :lol:

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Small correction: Although the aftermarket tire that you and I installed on our MTen3's is indeed 2.75" wide, the stock tire that comes on the Mten3 is actually 3-inches wide.

LOL, I unintentionally erased that terrible stock tire from my memory, good catch :lol:

52 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Haha, nice catch! I subconsciously left the MSX out due to my disinterest in it :lol:

LOL, I unintentionally erased that terrible stock tire from my memory, good catch :lol:

So the default ire on the mten3 is not as good as the aftermarket 2.75" that you guys installed? Does the smaller tire make the mten3 even more agile and more fun to ride?

I remember seeing a video on Marty changing the tire of his mten3 and has difficulty changing it and has to pay around $15 to have the tire installed.  Is that the 2.75" tire that Marty was talking about?

1 hour ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

So the default ire on the mten3 is not as good as the aftermarket 2.75" that you guys installed? Does the smaller tire make the mten3 even more agile and more fun to ride?

I remember seeing a video on Marty changing the tire of his mten3 and has difficulty changing it and has to pay around $15 to have the tire installed.  Is that the 2.75" tire that Marty was talking about?

All the MTen3 tires are borrowed Segway/XiaoMi Mini / Mini Pro tires, and there are only 2 that fit the spec.

Gotway chose the wrong one IMHO

The "stock" has treads that pull artificially one direction, gets worse the faster you go. It's unrideable IMHO. The other type simply has no directional preference in tread, that's all.

4 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Yes, that's the tire we are talking about. As I said in the video (near the end I think), the improvement in handling wasn't as dramatic as I anticipated based on what @houseofjob reported. I put over 400-mile on the stock tire, and found it very rideable. I fell in love with my Mten3 with the stock tire. I do like the handling of the newer tire including its added grippiness. But I don't think it made it notably funner, but maybe my earlier memories are fading?

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

All the MTen3 tires are borrowed Segway/XiaoMi Mini / Mini Pro tires, and there are only 2 that fit the spec.

Gotway chose the wrong one IMHO

The "stock" has treads that pull artificially one direction, gets worse the faster you go. It's unrideable IMHO. The other type simply has no directional preference in tread, that's all.

I rarely ride my Mten3 much above 15-mph. Maybe the stock tire is more of a hinderance at higher speeds. I don't know.

Archived