Where to buy MTen3 Replacement Shell?

paulz

Hi EUC forum, this is my first post.  

I'm loving my first wheel the MTen3 which I use for daily commute and fun.  I see that I'll need to buy a replacement shell eventually, but I don't see one on ewheels.com  Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement shell?  Is it easy to replace myself, or should I pay someone to do it?  I saved my original box, so I could ship it if necessary.

19 minutes ago, paulz said:

Hi EUC forum, this is my first post.  

I'm loving my first wheel the MTen3 which I use for daily commute and fun.  I see that I'll need to buy a replacement shell eventually, but I don't see one on ewheels.com  Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement shell?  Is it easy to replace myself, or should I pay someone to do it?  I saved my original box, so I could ship it if necessary.

The shell is extremely easy to replace. I've never heard of the Mten3 shell being damaged to the degree that it would have to be replaced. It's been a very robust wheel for me.

Is yours cracking?

Once when it came out from under me at a low speed, (perhaps a jogging speed)  the handle cracked.    It did not hit anything, just sort of skidded along the sidewalk for a meter or two.  A small piece of the white plastic came off, perhaps 2mm x 5mm x 8cm.  I was able to pop the  As you can see in the photo, the shell separated somewhat and I was able to pop it back in with a screwdriver.  I love this thing so much.    Thanks for the reply.  

mtenCrack.jpg

24 minutes ago, paulz said:

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement shell?  

@Marty Backe is correct about the shell being durable but I did purchase a spare from Jason to experiment with paint designs in the future. 

10 minutes ago, paulz said:

Once when it came out from under me at a low speed, (perhaps a jogging speed)  the handle cracked.    It did not hit anything, just sort of skidded along the sidewalk for a meter or two.  A small piece of the white plastic came off, perhaps 2mm x 5mm x 8cm.  I was able to pop the  As you can see in the photo, the shell separated somewhat and I was able to pop it back in with a screwdriver.  I love this thing so much.    Thanks for the reply.  

mtenCrack.jpg

Wow. That must have been a freaky hit - I've never seen a break on a handle before.

As @Rehab1 suggests, see EWheels. Quite often Jason has inventory that is not listed on the website. You just need to reach out to him. And if he doesn't have it in stock he can probably get it for you.

BTW, there was a time that I wrapped my handle with bicycle handlebar wrap, cushioning it for when I picked the wheel up. Maybe you could do something like that in the interim?

Hey @Marty Backe How do you go about the replacement of the adhesive padding that is attached to the battery pack? I took mine out of the wheel in order to do the paint and set it down on a box for a few minutes and when I pulled it off, a bunch of the paper was torn and is stuck to the sticky padding.

I won't make this mistake again. :facepalm:

The bottom of the MTen3 Handle should have been curved to fit the hand because the device is designed to be carried.  The seam on mine was enough to rip flesh --even before mine crashed.   Carrying while wearing wrist protectors made the problem even worse.  I mitigated this two ways:  

1. I put a piece of clear scotch tape over the seam which took the edge off the seam.   

2. I wear fingerless UV gloves under my wrist-guards.  They are thin and comfortable, I got them at REI.

I did contact Jason at eWheels about a replacement shell, but I never heard back so I'm probably in his spam folder -- which I'm sure is overflowing because his email is on his site.  Perhaps I'll PM him on this site once my reputation is high enough.... unless that is inappropriate.  

I'm not in a hurry for a new shell; Jason's recent job-posting makes me think that he must be swamped..... 

31 minutes ago, paulz said:

The bottom of the MTen3 Handle should have been curved to fit the hand because the device is designed to be carried.  The seam on mine was enough to rip flesh --even before mine crashed.   Carrying while wearing wrist protectors made the problem even worse.  I mitigated this two ways:  

1. I put a piece of clear scotch tape over the seam which took the edge off the seam.   

2. I wear fingerless UV gloves under my wrist-guards.  They are thin and comfortable, I got them at REI.

I did contact Jason at eWheels about a replacement shell, but I never heard back so I'm probably in his spam folder -- which I'm sure is overflowing because his email is on his site.  Perhaps I'll PM him on this site once my reputation is high enough.... unless that is inappropriate.  

I'm not in a hurry for a new shell; Jason's recent job-posting makes me think that he must be swamped..... 

It is not that your email is in the spam folder, it is that he has a huge volume of emails. Currently all email traffic is handled by that one guy. As superhuman he may be, he has to sleep some time. Give it a day for you to get a reply, but try to include as much information in one email as possible so it doesn't have to go back and forth several times. I've heard another report of someone dealing with that same problem while looking up reviews on the Mten3.

1 hour ago, paulz said:

Yeah, Gotway needs to hire an ergonomics engineer because most of their handles are very uncomfortable. That's why I used bicycle handlebar wrap on my MSuper and Mten3 handles.

1 hour ago, Esper said:

Hey @Marty Backe How do you go about the replacement of the adhesive padding that is attached to the battery pack? I took mine out of the wheel in order to do the paint and set it down on a box for a few minutes and when I pulled it off, a bunch of the paper was torn and is stuck to the sticky padding.

I won't make this mistake again. :facepalm:

I'm not sure exactly what you're describing, but I imagine you can use any padding to keep the battery pack from shifting. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

40 minutes ago, paulz said:

What do MTen3 owners use for a stand?  I know that people use guitar stands for larger wheels.  Does that work for the smaller MTen3?  Should I get a ukulele or violin stand perhaps?

I'm planning on using the foam pad that came with the box. Last night I used a milk crate. 

5 hours ago, paulz said:

What do MTen3 owners use for a stand?  I know that people use guitar stands for larger wheels.  Does that work for the smaller MTen3?  Should I get a ukulele or violin stand perhaps?

If you mount a trolley handle on your Mten3 like I did on mine, you have the benefit of a built-in stand

IMG_20180927_121906358_HDR

Archived