V10 pads too thin?

Elder Meat

I'm still learning to ride, but it seems like you need to have a firm grip on the top of the EUC with your calves for stability. Even with my feet pressed firmly against the side of the wheel, it feels like there's some play between my calves. I wonder if making a thicker set of pads (say 1" thick each) would help me grip the sides better and therefore improve stability.

Is this a valid concern or am I going down a blind alley?

I haven't ridden the V10 yet, but in general there is IMHO no particular need to have "a firm grip" with the calves. Just by bending one knee or the other independently you have full control over the lateral tilt angle of the wheel. I prefer to have contact with heels and ankles, but that means to have padding for the ankles on the shell. On the other hand, there is no harm trying to make you feel more comfortable with added padding.

46 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

My complaint with the pads are they are too sticky.... It is hard to shift forward and back when you are sticking to the pads....

That's exactly one of the reasons why I prefer to have contact at a lower point of the leg. The ankles do not need to constantly move over the padding.

Interesting viewpoints. Thanks. These are some of the finer points that can be hard to pick up just by watching videos. Reading various posts on this forum, one person mentions a death wobble at speed when squatting (caused by the legs moving apart), but another says having the feet farther apart improves stability. Both make sense independently but seem contradictory when taken together. (How can you have your feet farther apart but still keep your calves comfortably together?) I'm sure part of it is trial and error to see what works for you.

• 9 months later...

I had the same reaction with my V10f too.  After watching KujiRolls talking about jumping:

I'm going to try adding some ankle pads _above_ the ankle bone and see if that makes things more secure, and maybe even lets me lift my very heavy V10f a few inches off the ground.

Also agree with @Harold Farrenkopf that the vinyl covered leg pads are sticky against bare legs, a minor nuisance.

Archived