ninebot one (c/e) cooling/handle and other mods testbed.

enaon

I have now tested the cooling mod, the results are excellent, I get an over 11 degrees Celsius drop when going uphill on a hot day. I used to see 63, I. now get 50 max. I have not fitted air vents yet, maybe next year, the exposed brass tube parts on the inside of the wheel seems be enough for now. 

• Like 1

It is also worth mentioning the K5pro thermal compound for general use in unicycles. I believe they are an excellent match, a non conductive high viscosity paste, up to 250celcius, can be applied directly on the mosfets to make a better surface of contact.

https://www.amazon.com/viscous-thermal-paste-replacement-Aspire/dp/B01C5XWF2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537069452&sr=8-1&keywords=k5pro

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, enaon said:

I made a small tribute video for my beloved wheel, the mods are included if one is interested. :)

Wow! Super nice video! I can relate to your post.

This wheel has some special properties. It can spin on the vertical axis like no other wheel (I think).

Thanks for the mods!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pico said:

Wow! Super nice video! I can relate to your post.

This wheel has some special properties. It can spin on the vertical axis like no other wheel (I think).

Thanks for the mods!

Thank you :)

I am sure all wheels are nice, it's just that this one is my first and only till now, so it is somewhat special to me :D

I was planning to use it as a middle step towards the z10, I will still get one sometime, but for now I am quite happy with the c+ with the p firmware. It is light enough to lift, fast enough to be fun without needing a helmet an all that, very durable, excellent machine. 

• 1 month later...

Hi enaon!

Great mod!  I just recently purchased a ninebot C+ and love it so far, I had a couple of spills but were faults of my own.  I'm interested in trying to do this mod to my wheel and was wondering how you mounted the copper tubing?  Is it resting on the heat sink, how did you add in the thermal paste, did you get rounded cornered copper tubes for the ends, and how big is the hole?  I'm studying your mod at work so when get home I have an idea of what do and get.    Thanks for doing and any advice.  

On 1/12/2019 at 2:19 AM, Maurice Kealoha Sallave said:

how you mounted the copper tubing?  Is it resting on the heat sink, how did you add in the thermal paste, did you get rounded cornered copper tubes for the ends, and how big is the hole?  

hello, I will be happy to help. 

The tube and the round corners are standard plumping copper parts, not sure about the size, I believe they are 12mm diameter, The tube fits like a glove inside the heat-sink, I added the thermal paste beforehand.  It holds in place by several means. The left round peace is glued in place, it is not removable, the right one can be taken out. The tube length is longer that the distance between the two round parts , while placing I turn the tube so that maybe one centimeter goes into the left corner, then I place the right corner and turn again, so that I end up with half a centimeter in at both sides. At the end, the screw in the heatsink is used so that the tube can no longer move, and everything is very solid.

I will make a video of it if you are in for a try, just let me know. 

Happy riding :)

• Like 1

I also have a c+, firmware updated to e+. It is an excellent machine the way I see it, it can handle the e+ firmware with stock c+ battery pack, assuming you have lg batteries as I do. Almost 800km on it since last summer, I now use it for daily commuting needs.

Be patient and be careful, install the ninedroid  2.1.9 app along with your segway/ninebot app, so that you can observe wattage during your rides, learn what a steep hill or a sudden stop or a rapid movement means in terms of power, and all will be superfine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2018 at 06:15, enaon said:

Olá, ainda novo usuário, aproveite o ninebot há 20 dias, só queria compartilhar as alterações no handle / cooler que fiz no caso de alguém achá-las úteis.

A alça foi alterada para permitir que ela se mova para cima. Ainda não é alto o suficiente para rolá-lo sem dobrar, mas é mais como dobrar, não de joelhos como costumava ser, e o controle é excelente em ambas as direções. Um cinto foi montado na alça e na estrutura, permitindo fácil manuseio equilibrado para o transporte, muito melhor do que era. Eu vou fazer um vídeo mostrando detalhes, se alguém estiver interessado.

O segundo mod é para o resfriamento dos mosfets. Peguei um pedaço de tubo de cobre e passei-o pelo dissipador de calor, está funcionando bem, mesmo sem fluxo de ar, planejo adicionar um coletor de ar mais tarde. 

IMG_20180911_221633287.jpg

IMG_20180911_221951669.jpg

IMG_20180912_024123298.jpg

IMG_20180912_032056934_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180912_064420340.jpg

IMG_20180912_064443492.jpg

IMG_20180912_064512307.jpg

IMG_20180912_064338486.jpg

Gostaria de saber o que acontece se eu fizer apenas um furo como o seu na carcaça, mas ao invés de por um cano de cobre por um mini cooler de 3 centímetros. Terá fluxo de ar, pode ocasionar a queima da placa?

Obrigado!

I am not sure what a mini cooler is. Do you mean like a mini fan? If so the no, letting air in to the electronics department is a bad idea.  

This is why I used the pipe, I wanted the air flow as close to the heatsink as possible, but not to the  electronics.

You will only find this mod useful if you change the firmware of your c+ to an e+ without adding extra mosfets and heatsink,  and only for a few very hot days during the summer.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/02/2019 at 17:54, enaon said:

Eu não tenho certeza do que é um mini cooler. Você quer dizer como um mini fã? Se assim for, não, deixar entrar ar no departamento de eletrônica é uma má ideia.  

É por isso que usei o tubo, queria o fluxo de ar o mais próximo possível do dissipador de calor, mas não da eletrônica.

Você só achará este mod útil se você mudar o firmware do seu c + para um e + sem adicionar mosfets extras e dissipador de calor, e apenas por alguns dias muito quentes durante o verão.  

Entendi, é que sou do Brasil e aqui o calor é quase o ano todo, e sim, estou usando a firmware 1.4.3, no C+. Mas estou pensando em por a placa do E+, com a chapa de resfriamento e os 6 mosfets extras. Se caso passar a usar essa o resfriamento é melhor com a firmware 1.4.3?

More mosfets and the extra heat sink  will help spread the heat generated more evenly, so I guess if you actually do the mosfets upgrade, there is no need to do my mod. I am not sure there will be enough space to do both with ease anyway, the pipe I use runs through the space the cable is normally run, if both heat sinks for the 12 mosfets are used. 

this is a small video of the one c+ having the 1.4.3 p firmware high speed on. I am using this setup for the past 100khm, being extra careful, but still it is very fun. Battery upgrade is coming. :)

not a recommendation, just a follow up on the road to knowledge(aka face-plant). :)

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Using this amazing spot welder:

IMG-20190509-044828265.jpg

and smallexis's battery mod as an inspiration, I have installed 15 more batteries to the ninebot. 

IMG-20190509-075146395.jpg

IMG-20190510-071233575.jpg

IMG-20190510-112511900.jpg

IMG-20190510-145602798.jpg

IMG-20190510-164630121.jpg

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, enaon said:

hello, I will be happy to help. 

The tube and the round corners are standard plumping copper parts, not sure about the size, I believe they are 12mm diameter, The tube fits like a glove inside the heat-sink, I added the thermal paste beforehand.  It holds in place by several means. The left round peace is glued in place, it is not removable, the right one can be taken out. The tube length is longer that the distance between the two round parts , while placing I turn the tube so that maybe one centimeter goes into the left corner, then I place the right corner and turn again, so that I end up with half a centimeter in at both sides. At the end, the screw in the heatsink is used so that the tube can no longer move, and everything is very solid.

I will make a video of it if you are in for a try, just let me know. 

Happy riding :)

Great updates! I just ordered the cooper tubes to avoid overheat of mosfets. It is a pitty that rectangular tubes are only made of aluminium in my area, with a worse heat transfer property.

I also installed a high-pressure antipuncture tire (2.125 inch wide and deepper knobbies) that performs much better than the original CST. The model is Kenda K1122.

http://www.kendatire.com.cn/Home/Product/show-17

1557611456945_adobe.jpg

1557611959794_adobe_resize_28.jpg

20190505_182557_compress7.jpg

• Like 2

real life results are as expected, which is a good thing.

The new pack alone(15 x30q samsung batteries) gives 9.7 khm of fun ride and then enters limited mode, compared to about 14 khm on the standard 220wh pack. I pushed it a lot, went up to 1200watts, 30q cells rock. The two packs in parallel gave 22khm before I gave up,  there was almost 40% left, 53.9 volts on the meter. At no time during the ride I was able to make it beep, I suspect the firmware beeps when it detects a voltage drop and the extra battery helps. 

Overall I am very happy, will go for the other side too. 

ps. the spot welder link if one is interested: 

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=98854

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

I also installed a high-pressure antipuncture tire (2.125 inch wide and deepper knobbies) that performs much better than the original CST. The model is Kenda K1122.

I forgot about the tire, I also switched  to a 2.125 last week. I got the h-5102-2 chao yang, better at road bumps than the original, but not so easy to do 360 turns anymore. :)

IMG-20190511-074235015.jpg

IMG-20190511-074129226.jpg

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

Great updates! I just ordered the cooper tubes to avoid overheat of mosfets.

It's best if you could wait a couple of weeks, I will mod some more 9bots for some friends and most probably they will come out better, as always :)

The way I did it in mine has some flaws. It is time consuming, It makes the extra battery installation harder because of the pipe that extrudes, and as it stands has no nice way of catching air flow. I believe a better approach will be to just modify the cover. It will be cleaner and more efficient. E rectangular tube, on top of the heat sink, with fins attached, as part of the cover pad.  

Edited by enaon

On 5/13/2019 at 4:32 AM, enaon said:

It's best if you could wait a couple of weeks, I will mod some more 9bots for some friends and most probably they will come out better, as always :)

The way I did it in mine has some flaws. It is time consuming, It makes the extra battery installation harder because of the pipe that extrudes, and as it stands has no nice way of catching air flow. I believe a better approach will be to just modify the cover. It will be cleaner and more efficient. E rectangular tube, on top of the heat sink, with fins attached, as part of the cover pad.  

OK. I wait to see your new idea implemented in another 9bot. Thanks for the info.

• 4 months later...

Some pictures of the handle, I finally installed a lock mechanism, it is now usefull and safe. 

I was afraid it would snap in a case of an accident, maybe become dangerous, this bonnet holder from china for 3$ is a perfect solution. Locks  using one hand, easy release, discrete. 

IMG-20190925-235625096.jpg

IMG-20190926-245945653-HDR.jpg

IMG-20190926-010014146-HDR.jpg

IMG-20190926-010036439.jpg

IMG-20190926-245744841.jpg

IMG-20190926-245823282-HDR.jpg

IMG-20190926-010522501.jpg

IMG-20190926-241249620.jpg

and a small video using it. 

• Like 1