Sitting on Msuper X, bad for the shell?

One of a professional that Im close to strongly objects on seating the MSX or any other gotway wheels even including the Monster. He says 90% of Monster shells' internal fracture he repaired was caused by the seating;; I heard the MSX has a bit of improvement or reinforcement on the internal parts of the shell but he still says the shell is the same cheap plastic used on other models and will be internally damaged eventually when I sit on it.. I like going out for long rides and taking the seat time to time really feels great but his words worry me :(

Anyone who opened up MSX and knows about the structure in detail could tell me whether it would really be harmful to the shell when a 112pound man sits on the MSX?

It's true.

Obviously, when you sit on top of the plastic shell, major part of your weight move from metal pedals to thin plastic parts. But this is not a big deal.

Real problems starts when you seat and move on the road, full of bumps. Every bump do this minor part in job of destroy plastic, especially around metal supports. I saw those web of cracks around the screws.

One more time - sitting slightly acceptable when you are lightweight  AND the road is really flat and high quality.

Sorry for my english.

10 hours ago, foxmulder32 said:

It's true.

Obviously, when you sit on top of the plastic shell, major part of your weight move from metal pedals to thin plastic parts. But this is not a big deal.

Real problems starts when you seat and move on the road, full of bumps. Every bump do this minor part in job of destroy plastic, especially around metal supports. I saw those web of cracks around the screws.

One more time - sitting slightly acceptable when you are lightweight  AND the road is really flat and high quality.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks for your information! No your English is great! Mine isnt perfect either haha

My MSuper V3 feels like a solid block of plastic. No creaks at all. While I don't ever sit on it, I would not have thought sitting on it would have any effect but now, after reading this, I do realize it's just a bunch of screws going into the plastic sides on each side.

The handle of the MSuper is not attached to anything except the plastic sides, yes?

While I do not sit on the Msuper, I do often push the nose of the wheel down with one hand in order to get up steep hills, and the wheel feels rock-solid. Getting an 18 incher up a steep hill is quite hard!

Presumably crashes on MSupers would be likely to tear the plastic cases away from the mounts. The plastic cases sacrificially protect the interior of the wheel?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suspect sitting on the wheel substantially increases the range. Not by a little but by a very large amount.

I say this because when I bow forward while looking at WheelLog, the instant consumption decreases by 30-40%, likely way more. Get a skinny guy, stick him in spandex and no helmet, and run him on some MSuper X, and I'd bet he'd go almost 100 miles.

Archived