KS Low Battery Behaviour

Jason McNeil

Here's a quick clip of what happens when the voltage on the KS reaches 54v: the pedals pitch up to an rideable 16°. Once you then turn off the Wheel & try to power it on, the motor doesn't engage—presumably this is to prevent owners from riding the Wheel in a 'critically' low battery state. In this next batch of 800W 14", the threshold is going to be reduced to 50v, this ought to squeeze another 20-25% out the pack, it's still perfectly within manufacturer specs & above 3v, no need to worry about prematurely shortening battery life, etc.  

So is the low battery threshold set by the control board or the bms in the battery packs @Jason?

My money's on the mainboard (firmware), from what I've understood, the BMS over discharge -protection always just cuts the power instantly and latches until the voltage raises back above the over discharge release-level. These are usually mentioned in the BMS specifications, for example:

HTB1PickGVXXXXaCXpXXq6xXFXXX2.jpg?size=1

Although they've typoed it as "relase" there ;)

Esaj's right, it's the firmware setting. Of all the eWheels, KS is the most conservative; when it instructs to get off, there's nothing you can do but meekly obey. I realized what it's like to walk again (over the past six months, I either ride or run, but seldom walk, especially over 20m distance), shaken up by the experience, he vows never to repeat the experiment again!  :o

Esaj's right, it's the firmware setting. Of all the eWheels, KS is the most conservative; when it instructs to get off, there's nothing you can do but meekly obey. I realized what it's like to walk again (over the past six months, I either ride or run, but seldom walk, especially over 20m distance), shaken up by the experience, he vows never to repeat the experiment again!  :o

Hey Jason, will this firmware setting be released with the new board that supports the new IOS App? Or will it be another batch down the line?

Archived