First EUC Tesla

Picked up the package last night and have been learning it off and on all day since 8 in the morning...it's kicking my butt but each time I go back out for another round I'm better than I was before :)  I haven't connected to it through any app yet.  I think it must be on the hardest mode because the pedals don't tilt at all.  Wondering if it's easier to learn on a softer setting.  I'd like to open it up eventually and see how everything's connected.  Another user inserted some rubber where the control board is mounted and I'm wondering if that's a good mod for me to try.

I'm holding the thing up with an extension cord so it doesn't get banged around too much.  When the wheel tilts too far to the side, it starts beeping and the motor shuts off (and since I'm holding it up with cord I immediately straighten it out).   Now, *occasionally* the motor turns back on and it starts balancing.  *Sometimes* I hear the motor whirring in there, but it does not balance.  *Usually*, it just stays off, the LEDS remain on, I turn the power off, and then I turn the power back on and continue.  What's supposed to happen when it tilts too far to the side and it does the beeps?

Cool!

1 hour ago, Meelosh123 said:

I think it must be on the hardest mode because the pedals don't tilt at all.  Wondering if it's easier to learn on a softer setting.

In theory it's easier to learn on a bit softer mode. But if you don't mind the feel, or if your attitude is "There is no training, just learning with what you will eventually use", no reason to change. Loving the medium mode on my ACM though, very comfortable, so at least try it.

Another user inserted some rubber where the control board is mounted and I'm wondering if that's a good mod for me to try.

People modded their Teslas so the board is firm in there (can apparently get loose) and does not rattle around in the shell (which would lead to crazy wheel behavior). So you can wait until (if) that problem ever appears. Nothing wrong with adding support for the board right away, though.

When the wheel tilts too far to the side, it starts beeping and the motor shuts off (and since I'm holding it up with cord I immediately straighten it out).   Now, *occasionally* the motor turns back on and it starts balancing.  *Sometimes* I hear the motor whirring in there, but it does not balance.  *Usually*, it just stays off, the LEDS remain on, I turn the power off, and then I turn the power back on and continue.  What's supposed to happen when it tilts too far to the side and it does the beeps?

Not sure, but it may take a while before it starts balancing again. Put it upright (not tilted sideways) and tilt in back and forth until it starts balancing, I guess.

are you sure its not the fans youre hearing when its tilted on the side and it stops balancing? I had a tesla as my first euc too. Now upgrading to an msx because my need were apparently more extreme (cross contry whole day trips) 

and also just about ride preference. But ill always miss my tesla. Its a special wheel. I love it for what a beast it is.  you'll learn it. But remember when you finally get the technique and learn it then use a lot of time riding slow to master going over bumps and turning. It really discreases your chance of falling at speed. So dont go fast just yet. Wait a week or two and master the slow speed stuff. It will come in handy. Here is a list of things to use some time time master:

- turning and sharp turns both directions

- mounting and dismounting without balalance issues. (one leg will be easier. But try to focus on learning both)

- relaxing in your knees and legs for absorbing bumps better. 

-braking and coming to a standstill for some seconds and then accelerating again (this will help a lot in mastering the balance of the wheel) 

-eventually you could try learning going backwards. (no easy way of learning)

-one legged riding (easier than you think and helps with mastering it)

3 hours ago, Meelosh123 said:

Picked up the package last night and have been learning it off and on all day since 8 in the morning...it's kicking my butt but each time I go back out for another round I'm better than I was before :)  I haven't connected to it through any app yet.  I think it must be on the hardest mode because the pedals don't tilt at all.  Wondering if it's easier to learn on a softer setting.  I'd like to open it up eventually and see how everything's connected.  Another user inserted some rubber where the control board is mounted and I'm wondering if that's a good mod for me to try.

I'm holding the thing up with an extension cord so it doesn't get banged around too much.  When the wheel tilts too far to the side, it starts beeping and the motor shuts off (and since I'm holding it up with cord I immediately straighten it out).   Now, *occasionally* the motor turns back on and it starts balancing.  *Sometimes* I hear the motor whirring in there, but it does not balance.  *Usually*, it just stays off, the LEDS remain on, I turn the power off, and then I turn the power back on and continue.  What's supposed to happen when it tilts too far to the side and it does the beeps?

Don't know about Gotway Tesla, but my Ninebot one E+ does something similar to that.  If I jump off from hitting a hole or bump and the wheel falls on the side, it beeps and the motor shuts off.  If I pick it up quickly, it stops beeping and starts balancing again.  But if it lays on it's side for too long, it won't balance and I have to push the power button again to restart it.  Some wheels won't restart when picked up after a fall to the side.  

9 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Don't know about Gotway Tesla, but my Ninebot one E+ does something similar to that.  If I jump off from hitting a hole or bump and the wheel falls on the side, it beeps and the motor shuts off.  If I pick it up quickly, it stops beeping and starts balancing again.  But if it lays on it's side for too long, it won't balance and I have to push the power button again to restart it.  Some wheels won't restart when picked up after a fall to the side.  

As far as i have observed the tesla of course shuts off when it lays on the side. But the thing that make the motor turn on again isnt that it detects being upright. But rather the motion of lifting it from sideways to upright. So if you lift it too fast it wont turn on again. Bit if you lay it down again and lift it it will turn on no matter how much time. So best strategy is waiting a second before lifting the wheel when it falls to the side

Archived