S1 Unexpected Shut down

tscottn

Hi guys, I know I brought this up in another topic and I by no means want to clutter the general discussions section with my problem, but i feel that starting this tread might be more aligned to the true issue now that I have has some time to ride my S1.  I hope you can forgive me..

So today I was out riding my S1 around my neighborhood.  I rode for about 1/2 mile and decided to stop to take a quick break, Once stopped I had one foot off the S1 and one still on the right pedal.  after about 20 seconds in this position the S1 beeped twice really fast and shut itself off.  This seems to happen every once in awhile in this position after stopping. I dont think its a heat thing because I am only about 170 and riding very slow, mostly around 8 to 10 mph.  Also today at work I was carrying the unit for about 30 to 40 seconds by the carry handle and as soon as I put it down the unit engaged , I put one foot on the pedal and then the unit shut itself off after beeping twice..   

Like I mentioned last time in my other post the unit has not shut down while riding it.  I have almost 50 miles on it and it seems to be fine.  No issues at all while it is moving.  Do you think there could be something wrong with it?  Im not sure I could return it because the plastic is pretty scratched up bad.  What do you think I should do?  I bought it from Newegg.  Should I call them, or make a call to Segway support if this is even a issue and not normal?  I dont think this would be a normal thing?  Maybe a board replacement is necessary?  

Thanks for any and all help..

I do not have the two S1 manuals with me, but in one of them is a chart with diagnosis beeps.

I think the way Ninebot sets up their vehicles is beeps means nothing is wrong with the wheel but the conditions are too extreme for it (too hot, too cold, too steep, wheel laid over) whereas an internal wheel problem results in diagnosis lights on the side of the wheel.

Are you perhaps triggering the tip-over protection? With one foot on, one foot off, you may be leaning the wheel far enough over to its side to make it think it's fallen over. While off the wheel, power it on and slowly lean it to the left or right to see if the same thing happens when it goes too far

well i could not get the unit to shut off by tap[ping around the power button or leaning over excessively like the suggestions above .. it seems to do it randomly.  I did have a actual cut off while riding today.  Thankfully I had just gotten on 2 seconds before and was going really slow and all of a sudden the unit shut off.  It makes me really uneasy and i do not want to ride it anymore ..  one thing I noticed is that the blue power button blinks continually.  is a blinking blue power status normal or is a indicator of something wrong?  

Ok I just did a test also.  My power button illuminated blue and is blinking slowly when either standing still or moving fast.  However, moving at a moderate pace I was not able to turn the unit off by the power button until i slowed down to a crawl, but it never stops blinking even when moving fast.  does your power button blink when moving or not moving?  

47 minutes ago, tscottn said:

well i could not get the unit to shut off by tap[ping around the power button or leaning over excessively like the suggestions above .. it seems to do it randomly.  I did have a actual cut off while riding today.  Thankfully I had just gotten on 2 seconds before and was going really slow and all of a sudden the unit shut off.  It makes me really uneasy and i do not want to ride it anymore ..  one thing I noticed is that the blue power button blinks continually.  is a blinking blue power status normal or is a indicator of something wrong?  

No idea on the error codes, but this certainly doesn't sound like normal behavior. Contact the reseller and ask them to replace the mainboard (or if ordered overseas, ask them to ship a new board for you). Something's wrong and it sounds like it's deteriorating... you certainly don't want the wheel to suddenly turn off at speed!

thank you all for the great info.,  I would have replied back yesterday but it seemed I reached my maximum limit for comments yesterday and had to wait till today fro that option of comments to be available to me.  

Anyway I already started the RMA process with ninebot so hopefully I will get it worked out.  Enjoying my new V8/G3 now anyway so not a big deal.  thanks guys!

Archived