Pedal design to avoid ground scrape

I had a high speed banked turn pedal ground contact on my Tesla which was a little alarming.  Add to that a slight wobble, and I was fortunate that nothing untoward became of it.  I felt a slight scuff against the pinky toe area of my shoe and underneath on my skid trim. I wonder whether trimming off the pinky toe corner of the pedal would allow for more clearance in a banked turn.  Or maybe adjustable dihedral angles and pedal height adjustments could avoid this better.

35 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I had a high speed banked turn pedal ground contact on my Tesla which was a little alarming.  Add to that a slight wobble, and I was fortunate that nothing untoward became of it.  I felt a slight scuff against the pinky toe area of my shoe and underneath on my skid trim. I wonder whether trimming off the pinky toe corner of the pedal would allow for more clearance in a banked turn.  Or maybe adjustable dihedral angles and pedal height adjustments could avoid this better.

Maybe you could take a blowtorch to each pedal and bang the outer edge upwards? Might want to try that on a new set of pedals, I don't know.

I do know that somebody had an idea for a suspension system for EUCs, that involved sticking little chunks of sneaker insole gel into the pedal joints. This would have the additional benefit of increasing the dihedral pedal angle

It's normally not an issue, but I've been practising some cool high speed curves one of which was a little too extreme.  I wonder whether placing a shim would work.  I don't know if it would make a huge difference, but maybe combined with increased pedal height and shorter, angled leading edge pedals it could have additive effect.

Bending cast alloy aluminum likely isn't possible I'm thinking.  I'm just wondering with the bigger tires coming out like the Z10 whether these banked turns might be an issue unless people take a closer look at pedal design and placement.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

And I learned a new word today. Thank you, Hunka Sensei:efee8319ab:

For a moment there I missed the "corner" and wondered how far people would go:eff05cf9bc:

The way I stand on the pedals (shoes overhang to the front and front side - basically I only use the outer 60% of the pedals), it's always the shoe soles hitting the ground first, not the pedals. Which is good, rather the flexible shoes in some corner than the very inflexile pedals getting stuck. So you could try a wider stance if that works for you. Or just be careful (or get a V10).

If you want to go metal-workshop-ing, build two small aluminium blocks with 2 holes for the bolt in each one. Design each so it can be inserted between the pedal bracket and pedal and lifts the pedal upwards. Wondering why nobody ever did such a thing, it's literally just a small metal block in the right shape with 2 holes drilled in it.

Well maybe for a future design considering if any of the wheel makers are watching it could be a feature to be able to tweak the wheel.  I've always wished for suspension, adjustable height pedals that the user can set, and now maybe a dihedral angle adjustment.  People have adjustable bindings on their skis right?  Why not dial in your pedal angle as you wish easily or set your pedal height to where you want it at?  Maybe someone will make some after-market slim pedals out of steel alloy or carbon fibre one day.  Or maybe one day the height of the pedal will be such that you would have to be really tilting it severely to have it touch.

Which wheel has the slimmest pedals?  Inmotion?  They are fairly flat.  Gotway's are wedge-like.  King Song is pretty slim and sleek looking.

30 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Well maybe for a future design considering if any of the wheel makers are watching it could be a feature to be able to tweak the wheel.  I've always wished for suspension, adjustable height pedals that the user can set, and now maybe a dihedral angle adjustment.  People have adjustable bindings on their skis right?  Why not dial in your pedal angle as you wish easily or set your pedal height to where you want it at?  Maybe someone will make some after-market slim pedals out of steel alloy or carbon fibre one day.  Or maybe one day the height of the pedal will be such that you would have to be really tilting it severely to have it touch.

Which wheel has the slimmest pedals?  Inmotion?  They are fairly flat.  Gotway's are wedge-like.  King Song is pretty slim and sleek looking.

In my vision, the wheel of the future uses an electromagnetic active suspension with the side-effect of letting the pedals lower down for mounting and dismounting but raising to a user-configurable height while cruising or off-roading.

Archived