Lightning Risks With EUCs?

Esash

They say the safest place to be in a lightning storm is in your car, because of the rubber wheels.

EUC's have a rubber wheel, but metal pedals.

What is the lightning risk while riding on an EUC in a thunder/lightning situation?

lightning.gif

An EUC's rubber wheel would add little protection. A car's metal frame and body can shunt the current safely around you if lightning strikes the car. The tiny gap of rubber between an EUC's wheel and the ground can easily be jumped by by more than a billion volts in a lightning strike. Bottom line, I won't be riding my wheel in a lightning storm. 

Do you traditionally ride in ominous weather?  Let’s put it this way, I would rather hit another pot hole. 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Do you traditionally ride in ominous weather?  Let’s put it this way, I would rather hit another pot hole. 

I like to practice jousting skills on my EUC on the soccer field. I have a sweet aircraft quality aluminum jousting lance, and full body chain link armor suit to simulate real jousting conditions.

Looks like a thunder storm is starting in 45 minutes. I better get out there now so it's safe. My jousting drills only take me 40 minutes, wish me luck!

Just kidding. 20 years ago the basketball star's girlfriend got struck by lightning in center field in the middle of a high school softball game. Rumor is she was wearing a metal bra. She died ?

Yeah I'll just steer clear of pre-storm conditions, especially in open spaces.

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Just kidding. 20 years ago the basketball star's girlfriend got struck by lightning in center field in the middle of a high school softball game. Rumor is she was wearing a metal bra. She died ?

Well that’s sad. If you decide to joust in those conditions try a wooden pole.  ? I thought you might be drawing a correlation between EUCs and lightening strikes. Lightening is attracted to low voltage wiring but primarily when it is buried in the ground.  My underground sprinkler system’s 24 v wiring was hit twice by lightening. As the high voltage traveled through the buried wiring in my yard it then detoured  into my house blowing out the security system and melting the motion sensor.  

Archived