Experienced

Experienced (11/14)

• Posting Machine Rare
  • One Year In
  • Very Popular Rare
  • Collaborator
  • First Post

Recent Badges

1. Some helmets have a shattering layer that might only be protective for a certain period of time. I found this out one day when I was testing one of my helmets by throwing on the ground to see how much impact it could take. On my hardest throw the inside layer of the helmet shattered. Go figure...
  2. Having something vertical to use as leverage against acceleration is wonderful, so without getting locked in, at least having something there provide a whole new dimension of input.
  3. @Christian90s how 'bout practicing with a walker? Just go down to the thrift store and get one on the cheap.
  4. I love you phrased that. As a general approach to pain management, one of the theories that makes sense to me is that of how capsaicin works. Basically it tricks the brain into feeling a lot of pain to numb out everything else. I suspect the same thing about riding EUC, it tricks the brain into feeling a lot of pain so that the normal aches and pains seem to go away. Well, that's my theory anyhow.
  5. Thanks, totally "MacGyvered" Don't worry I don't ride much faster than 15 miles per hour. That's about as safe as I feel like my wheel can balance me at my weight. I usually recharge my wheel at around 60% capacity because it's safer for me. My wheel sends the speed warning to me at 15mph. And I get the cut out warning alarm a lot easier on a lower charge. My upgraded pedals and power domes give me ample control. The pedals are screwed in and monster taped. They aren't going anywhere. A few times in the snow and ice here in Wyoming my pedals would pop off when I lost control on the ice. Then I would ride a little on the stock pedals, which is absolutely miserable for with my heel and toes hanging off. I actually catch a lot of air on little bumps with my power domes positioned in an aggressive manner. I ride a lot of the time with my knees bent. It's actually really a blast.
  6. I really do encourage you @Christian90s to be weary of putting too many barriers between yourself and your wheel. As the ol' mantra around these forums goes, "you must become one whith your wheel, young patawon" Anyhow, I'm a heavy rider too, 6 2" 245lbs. I wear a size 11 and 1/2 so I had to make my own pedals to accommodate my entire foot.
  7. My pedals are 14" long to provide ample space for my bare foot with all of it's contact points: toes, metatarsophalangeal joints, arch, and my calcaneus. And I affixed cushy pedal covers for comfort. It's actually extremely pleasant, though it looks kind of home made, which it is. My wheel is perfect for me and my riding style. My Z10 actually takes the place of shoes and since my feet are actually in contact with my wheel at all times I am more sensitive to any out of the ordinary performance issues that may arise. Here's a picture of version 3 of my suspension pedals:
  8. That's funny, I ride barefoot as long as it's not too cold. It gives me 100% more control and joy of riding.
  9. It's totally okay to take it slow and to be careful. Soon you will be zooming. The important thing is to not get hurt so that you can continue learning and riding. Riding is so fun. You have the EUC that I wanted so bad, but my Z10 is always fun for me.
  10. That was my experience too when I was learning I would work myself to sweating exhaustion, something I had not pushed myself toward anything else in a long time. You need pedals that provide wheel control access to your entire foot, heel to toe. That will provide you with a way better riding experience because you can have so much more rider input to be able to use your heel and toes at the same time rather than having parts of your feet hanging off all the time. Try to enjoy your learning process, record yourself because that film would be so valuable later. Reward yourself after a learning session.
  11. I tried free mounting my KS14D on day one. I reasoned, somewhat fallaciously that King Song wouldn't possible manufacture a product that you can't just jump on and ride. Nope, I fell off and got a deep cut on my shin from the pedal. Anyway, I learned using a bunk bed to guide me back and forth on carpet, which worked surprisingly well. I would recommend parallel bars to start out learning on. That way you can hold yourself up when you loose control of your wheel.
  12. You got yourself an amazing device, very powerful. I'm exciting about reading your experiences.
  13. I think if the rider respects his or her wheel and learns what type of riding and obstacle would cause a cut-out then that's the most important thing. I weigh between 240-250 lbs depending on how many cookies I eat and I can ride my KS14D just fine as long as I don't push it and I know it's limitations, especially at that weight. I don't ride harder or faster than I could just jump off and land on my feet or at least break my fall with my hands. Respecting my wheel is most important, then comes helmets and gear.
  14. Another reason that the Z10 is still worth it is that the wheel gives an audible warning when an obstacle or bump or send is over the limit that could result in a cut out. So like, if I'm riding with battery below 50% and hit a bump really hard then the wheel makes the alarm. I don't know if this happens with other wheels, but I've never heard it mentioned.