300lbs Noob

6’3” 325 to be exact. After researching planning on buying a King Song 18XL very soon. 

Ive been reading lots of comments from people about “rider weight” as it relates to “cut offs” “nosedives” etc, and it has me a bit concerned honestly. I’m a pretty athletic guy but are there size specific concerns when it comes to EUCs’?!

I doubt any current EUC will be able to support your weight. 

First main concern is axel strength then how the wheel in general will cope with the forces hitting potholes, curbs keeping balance. 

I could be wrong but these are mostly build by much smaller Chinese people, not designed for people of your size. 

It doesn't really matter if it is muscle, bones or fat(in my case, as I fir a barrel 😉) weight is weight. 

Bring tall doesn't help out either as it will make more windrag resistance too. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

300 lbs carrying max - Monster ! But not a good wheel to learn on.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-monster-22-1600wh2400wh/

300lbs limit, 320ish lbs guy.... Might work. I wouldn't try it. You also need to consider pedal strength and pedal rods... 

You can ride a EUC, but you'll need one of the strongest ones. 18XL, MSX, 16X, or Nikola.

You will still have to be careful because you're like 75% heavier than the standard Western rider and that means the wheel needs 75% more power to do the same thing - accelerate, pothole compensation, etc. And wheels are built by the lighter Chinese in the first place. So you could overlean (overpower) such a wheel, while a lighter rider might not be able to. So no strong accelerations or sporty riding.

But if you ride moderately, it should still work. I wouldn't take it over 40kph/25mph to have enough margin even with those strong wheels.

As far as mechanical failure, if you don't jump down curbs, the axle should be fine. Not sure how strong the current pedals are, though. 150kg plus a sudden hit due to a pothole is a lot:unsure:

In addition, I'd be worried what happens in a crash. Your hands will have to catch your weight, which isn't going to be pretty. So the injury danger might very well be higher for higher rider weights.

And your range will be crappy in comparison to lighter riders. Wind resistance is a *****.

It's hard to give a recommendation. On the one hand, it should work if you ride a strong wheel at moderate speeds. Can't blame anyone for wanting to ride a EUC:) On the other hand, maybe you'd be better off with an escooter in the long run? If an escooter is overwhelmed, it just won't go faster. If a self-balancing vehicle like a EUC is overwhelmed (even for just a moment), you necessarily crash.

If you just need to ride a EUC, get one and report how it goes. Only one way to know for sure. Wear protection, especially wrist guards. If you're looking for a small electric ridable in general, I think something else (scooter, ebike) is better.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, General Principle said:

6’3” 325 to be exact. After researching planning on buying a King Song 18XL very soon.

I weigh over 300 pounds with a backpack. My KS16S is able to support me, but I can overpower it if I really lean too hard.

Don't worry - KS18XL will support you even if you're over 150kg. But try not to jump off curbs. As long as you'll ride slowly (< 20km/h) you'll be fine.

It's very important for you to wear protectors. Wrist+knees+elbows+helmet. You will fall. And the more weight, the bigger the chance of serious damage. You don't need $200 helmet, even cheap one for $10 will do wonders. B)

If it's fat, then obviously try to lose it. My recommendation is a high-fat diet with tons of meat (all grill whole day! :D).

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback folks. I’m pretty committed to euc at this point (despite scooter being a better choice for my size).

despite what some have said there are many euc that I’ve seen support as high as 350!

the monster 22 looks beefy! Does wheel size necessarily translate to greater stability/robustness? 

38 minutes ago, General Principle said:

Thanks for the feedback folks. I’m pretty committed to euc at this point (despite scooter being a better choice for my size).

despite what some have said there are many euc that I’ve seen support as high as 350!

the monster 22 looks beefy! Does wheel size necessarily translate to greater stability/robustness? 

i dont think it would be smart for anyone your size to go for anything but the monster really.. im sure you could get away with an 18" EUC but i think youd like the monster better.. the V3 is better as it has improvements in strength.. wheel size absolutely translates to greater stability.. still based on your weight i dont recommend you go off any curbs over ~2" it is a tremendous amount of stress on the pedals

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2019 at 11:54 PM, Blicky Te️la said:

Ive been reading lots of comments from people about “rider weight” as it relates to “cut offs” “nosedives” etc, and it has me a bit concerned honestly. I’m a pretty athletic guy but are there size specific concerns when it comes to EUCs’?!

Hey I was just giving this thread a bump.

As a big guy myself I was just wondering how was your ECU journey?

Was it worth it compares to Electric Scooters?

Buy a heavy wheel and riding it carefully at first. EX/EXN might be good choices, or RS-HT.

Despite all the warnings from non-heavy riders you'll be surprised at how well your wheel will work for you.

By riding carefully I mean watch your battery levels, speed acceleration and what not, take it out to some hills and see how it does. Really get to know how it behaves. 

Once you know the wheel's limits you'll be able to ride worry free.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/27/2019 at 6:10 PM, Blicky Te️la said:

Dude I feel you. Im 6'3 295ish. Im not in great shape by no means, but even when I was in peak shape and running all the time I was 220 at lightest. EUC is how I wanna go, but im so worried it wont carry me.

I will allow myself to expand the definition:
In addition to being useless, bicycle helmets are primarily invented
and produced to satisfy society's and legislature's pitiful desires
to instill in the population the impression of good governance of the country,
safety and security.

... better than nothing,  but fullface or noface is the only right choice ;)

Edited by Robse
  • Upvote 3

Also bicycle helmets doesn't work for EUC ridders. IN cut-out you will faceplant. Meaning you need full face helmet. :D 

Using bicycle helmet is the same as riding without one. So for my daily commutes i simply don't use any. But on fun rides, where i am more "daring" i use full face helmet.

FYI: I like how we are replying to 2019 post. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

That feeling of déjà vu... 

32 minutes ago, Funky said:

Also bicycle helmets doesn't work for EUC ridders. IN cut-out you will faceplant. Meaning you need full face helmet. :D 

1 hour ago, Robse said:

... better than nothing,  but fullface or noface is the only right choice ;)

FYI: I like how we are replying to 2019 post. :D 

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

Absototallyutley agree, even 4 years later... ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Also bicycle helmets doesn't work for EUC ridders. IN cut-out you will faceplant.
Using bicycle helmet is the same as riding without one.

This is not true. I can speak from experience - my chin/teeth/nose got saved by a bicycle helmet during one of my faceplants.
In fact, not only a "bicycle helmet", but a $15 bicycle helmet. How? Simple - the helmet sticks a few cm off from the forehead and thus stopped my nose & chin from hitting the concrete harder than it should've. I only got a bruise instead of a much worse outcome.

Try an experiment yourself. Lie face-down on the floor with a helmet on. It's obvious it makes it harder to damage your face. By making your forehead longer.

I'm not arguing against full-face helmets, they are fine. Full face > bicycle > nothing.
I'm simply pointing out that "bicycle helmet = nothing" is very incorrect. B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Using bicycle helmet is the same as riding without one. So for my daily commutes i simply don't use any. But on fun rides, where i am more "daring" i use full face helmet.

While a good full-face helmet definitely improves safety, I don't think that the matter can be boiled down to a simple "full face or no face." A few years ago I had a cutout while riding at about 25 km/h. The cause of the cutout is unknown, although I suspect that the GPS/GSM tracker I was testing at the time and that was installed inside the wheel, interfered with a motherboard operation causing the wheel to cutout.

I was wearing a Fox Metah helmet, which is an open face enduro helmet. I don't remember the moment of the accident, as I suffered a concussion being a result of the fall. First thing I recall was me lying on the road. But most importantly, upon inspection of myself and the helmet, it turned out that I hit the ground with my left shoulder and the left side of my head. My face or head was intact. But a stone dented into my helmet slightly above my left ear let me know that if I hadn't had a helmet at all, I would now be buried six feet under ground.

Therefore, I will not agree with statement that wearing a bicycle helmet is like wearing no helmet at all. Also I don't agree with the statement that every cutout means hitting the ground with your face.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Seba said:

While a good full-face helmet definitely improves safety, I don't think that the matter can be boiled down to a simple "full face or no face." A few years ago I had a cutout while riding at about 25 km/h. The cause of the cutout is unknown, although I suspect that the GPS/GSM tracker I was testing at the time and that was installed inside the wheel, interfered with a motherboard operation causing the wheel to cutout.

I was wearing a Fox Metah helmet, which is an open face enduro helmet. I don't remember the moment of the accident, as I suffered a concussion being a result of the fall. First thing I recall was me lying on the road. But most importantly, upon inspection of myself and the helmet, it turned out that I hit the ground with my left shoulder and the left side of my head. My face or head was intact. But a stone dented into my helmet slightly above my left ear let me know that if I hadn't had a helmet at all, I would now be buried six feet under ground.

Therefore, I will not agree with statement that wearing a bicycle helmet is like wearing no helmet at all. Also I don't agree with the statement that every cutout means hitting the ground with your face.

i agree on that 🙂, my point is to go all in and use a full face helmet to get the best protection instead of saving some peanuts and riding along wearing a half bucket and thinking all is good 🤗

• Upvote 1

I just imagine that most would hit their chin first in straight out cut-out.

Bicykle helmets the chin part is not protected - that's why i meant it's like riding without any..

Sure if you fall side ways or any part aside of CHIN - then it will protect you.

Also you need to look flat on the ground when falling to that "protrudes" to work.

I once fell and i was looking forwards - my chin hit the ground first. (Luckily i had full face helmet then. Bicykle helmet would have not worked at all.)

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 2

@Funky

1. A full-face helmet adds a few cm to the bulk of your chin. So you can't say "my helmet is scraped, therefore I would be hit on a chin in a bicycle helmet".
In my dislocated shoulder faceplant I also would've scraped my chin-guard in a full-face, just because of those few additional cm. And yet, I didn't.

2. Dislocated shoulder faceplant was exactly forwards. My chin would've hit the ground first, along with nose. But it was protected by a non-full-face helmet.

This is what I wrote at that time:

It protrudes 3cm from my forehead, which is enough to protect the jaw on a smooth tarmac. It would be very hard to damage my jaw unless I hit a curb or a rock. Yesterday the helmet protected my jaw - my beard hit the ground, but didn't get any damage. Without the helmet it's very probable I'd have missing teeth.

I don't think I'll be switching to full face for now.

It was 4.5 years ago already. How the time flies. :D

12 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

@Funky

1. A full-face helmet adds a few cm to the bulk of your chin. So you can't say "my helmet is scraped, therefore I would be hit on a chin in a bicycle helmet".
In my dislocated shoulder faceplant I also would've scraped my chin-guard in a full-face, just because of those few additional cm. And yet, I didn't.

2. Dislocated shoulder faceplant was exactly forwards. My chin would've hit the ground first, along with nose. But it was protected by a non-full-face helmet.

This is what I wrote at that time:

It was 4.5 years ago already. How the time flies. :D

I remember how i hit the ground. My legs scraped the ground, followed by my fat belly hitting the ground, followed by my hands and then my chin. I flew 2 meters before landing (yes i literally flew.. before landing.) I was riding in very loose sand and wheel turned 90 degree on me and i flew over it.

Everyone has their own story.. This was mine and my experience. Yes i admit bicykle helmet may work. But full face helmet is way better and you can't argue about that at all.

And i admit i'm riding without any at all.. Because on my daily commuted only time i'm gonna fall - is when EUC stops working..

That before mentioned fall was when i was riding at so called fun rides and in very loose sand - i even knew i gonna fall that day. :D And i was right. (Because how sketchy is riding in 2/3 finger deep, loose, beach like sand.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2