Speedyfeet MSuper 820 vs 1600wh comparison

Ash

A big thanks to Ian for freezing his butt off in the name of science :thumbup:

Even as a confessing GotWay fanboy, I find his review soberingly underwhelming:

• Been riding in similar temperatures quite a lot with my Msuper V1/680Wh and perceived (entirely un-scientific) the loss in performance & range to be about 20%. Thus, I find Ian's range results quite disappointing for 1600Wh. Can't be his weight either. I think I heard him saying something like "10 stones" (some 60Kg). Add some heavy clothing and you're still below 75Kg - that's me stepping out of the shower.
  • Two right pedals on the wheel? Srsly??? On the entire batch shipped out???? not_my_job.jpg
  • Still the glossy black I-get-scratched-by-mere-airstream finish? Didn't GotWay announce changing that to the much better matte grey ACM coating many weeks ago?

C'mon GotWay, you can do better than that ... :dribble:

Excellent review, and comparison to the 820 wh version...

I don't know what's underwhelming about that - apart from the hilarious wrong pedal thing, which is arguably quite helpful, certainly in terms of forward pressure deployment :) Looks like a proper workhorse to me, though I don't need anything like that mileage, so happy to stick with my little 820, it's nice to see a wheel just keep going like that...

3 things Ian could have done at various points in the video...

Phone ran out - he seemed to forget his wheel had a USB socket, though perhaps he didn't want to drain any additional power that way during his range test...

Stop your MS3 falling over when leaned up with good old bumper strip... this also mitigates the scratch problem if you cover enough of it...

Freezing cold - keep toasty warm while EUCing with this with this ninja-style fleece hood...

FLEECE-HOOD-FACE-MASK-2.jpg

CBR

7 hours ago, Tilmann said:

A big thanks to Ian for freezing his butt off in the name of science :thumbup:

Even as a confessing GotWay fanboy, I find his review soberingly underwhelming:

• Been riding in similar temperatures quite a lot with my Msuper V1/680Wh and perceived (entirely un-scientific) the loss in performance & range to be about 20%. Thus, I find Ian's range results quite disappointing for 1600Wh. Can't be his weight either. I think I heard him saying something like "10 stones" (some 60Kg). Add some heavy clothing and you're still below 75Kg - that's me stepping out of the shower.
  • Two right pedals on the wheel? Srsly??? On the entire batch shipped out???? not_my_job.jpg
  • Still the glossy black I-get-scratched-by-mere-airstream finish? Didn't GotWay announce changing that to the much better matte grey ACM coating many weeks ago?

C'mon GotWay, you can do better than that ... :dribble:

Ian needs to have a chat with his sales connection. That's really bad QC!!

The milage he is getting doesn't seem right even at those conditions.

Sounds kind of fishy to me...

Im getting some good milage from my Msuper V3s+, all my customers are getting good milage as well. It's been high 40's and low 50's on our last group ride! We did 40 miles on our last ride. I still had 60%. I did do two short charges which added about 20%. But I was at 80% charge when we started our ride.

There are many factors that play into how much milage you can get out of a charge. Main factors are riders weight, speed(max speed during whole ride/avg. speed), how much incline/degree of incline/distance of incline. To me, these three are the biggest factors as to why (or why not) you are getting the range per charge. 

Also, people need to check charging issues as well? Could be your charger is not working properly.

And lastly, Battery pack. Make sure you got the right battery pack. It should be clearly marked on the battery pack. Msuper V3 has 2 - 410Wh battery packs for the V3 820Wh. 680Wh will have 2 - 340Wh packs. If you were told 850Wh battery for the Msuper V3 you just bought, that's false. It's 820Wh! Only Msuper V2 came in 850Wh. It's 2 -340Wh packs and 1 -170Wh pack.

39 minutes ago, NevNutz said:

It should be clearly marked on the battery pack. Msuper V3 has 2 - 410Wh battery packs for the V3 820Wh. 680Wh will have 2 - 340Wh packs. If you were told 850Wh battery for the Msuper V3 you just bought, that's false. It's 820Wh! Only Msuper V2 came in 850Wh. It's 2 -340Wh packs and 1 -170Wh pack.

Yeah, KS is also guilty of not being able to put the correct capacity of the pack in their material: Wh = Ah x nominal voltage.

The Sanyo GA (which they both use) is a 3.5Ah cell & 3.6V = 12.6Wh/cell. 64x cells x 12.6Wh = 806.4Wh.

Even this is extremely optimistic, there will always be >10% juice remaining in the cell, even if running it down to 'empty'. This is because the cells are rated to discharge to 2.5v, but are very weak below 3v, which is a sensible 'get-off-now' marker.

39 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Yeah, KS is also guilty of not being able to put the correct capacity of the pack in their material: Wh = Ah x nominal voltage.

The Sanyo GA (which they both use) is a 3.5Ah cell & 3.6V = 12.6Wh/cell. 64x cells x 12.6Wh = 806.4Wh.

Trouble is they all cheat by saying the nominal voltage is 3.7V not 3.6V making that 828Wh. LiIon cells are, of course, correctly 3.6V nominal. I think it is a way of suggesting their cells are more "powerful"!

13 minutes ago, Keith said:

Trouble is they all cheat by saying the nominal voltage is 3.7V not 3.6V making that 828Wh. LiIon cells are, of course, correctly 3.6V nominal. I think it is a way of suggesting their cells are more "powerful"!

Not all Li-Ion chemistries are the same, some are very likely true 3.7V nominal, have to look at the Manufacture's data sheet for specific cell (or maybe you are referring to just the GA cell).  I think it is nit-picking because the drain is not constant, so the real Power recovered from the battery pack is going to vary much more than the nominal calculations, and the typical capacity of a GA cell is only 3450mA, and the minimum 3350 @ 25 deg C and all these are calculated at only 0.67A discharge so hardly the operating conditions of an EUC.  Best is to just measure what one personally gets on their typical terrain, and typical usage.  Then watch carefully to be sure they have enough battery left when operating outside of those parameters.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived