Bluetooth Connection

DangerousDick

Having a hard time connecting with my E+ lately - come to think of it, only since the new board was fitted! - running Android V3.1.7 R which used to work perfectly well before the original board failed.

Just tried with the old NineDroid V2.1.9 app and although not immediate, did eventually get it to connect and work OK.

Powers up fine and runs perfectly, the app sees the only Ninebot around and after a few seconds it says 'connecting' but then comes up with 'Bluetooth connecting fails' at the top of the screen a couple of seconds later.  Pressing 'Search again' at the bottom does it all over again.

Tried walking away from the unit - even a good 10 meters away - but still same.

On the plus side, I don't have to worry about accidentally updating the firmware to V1.3.5 until we're all very happy it won't break ;) on the downside though I can't get my battery power remaining which I like to keep an eye on when travelling any distance :(

Any ideas?

Need another Ninebot One rider close enough to try alternative connection / device etc :) - any volunteers?  I'm in Cheshire / Greater Mcr UK :D

Are you using a pin code?  After inputting a pin code, I would randomly not be able to connect.  I erased the pin code and reset the BlueTooth by doing the 17 beeps on it's side, and it now connects as normal again.  Although, that includes not connecting for the first 1 or 2 tries each time like seems to be the norm on the NineBot.

Edited by SuperSport

20 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Are you using a pin code?  After inputting a pin code, I would randomly not be able to connect.  I erased the pin code and reset the BlueTooth by doing the 17 beeps on it's side, and it now connects as normal again.  Although, that includes not connecting for the first 1 or 2 tries each time like seems to be the norm on the NineBot.

Nope, never bothered with a pin as I didn't think it was necessary due to me being the only one ;)

Also, just tried to ride it out a long way away from 'civilisation' to avoid 'unwanted' signals - and turned my phones 3G off too, but still wouldn't connect on the 'Bot' but the 'Droid' did manage it eventually - at first it kept losing the signal, but seemed to keep hold of it after a while.  Returning to the 'Bot' app and it wouldn't connect at all :(

The old board connected first time, every time, without fail.  Definitely need to put this one against another to make sure, but I'm 'leaning toward' a MB fault?

Just tried another video using the old 'Droid' app - difficult to capture the information on the screen but you can see the bluetooth symbol at the top flickering, coming on and then disappearing again - three minutes of video and if you have audio you can hear the power-on 10 seconds into the clip.

When out earlier on I could use this app and keep connected for a few minutes but here it struggles for longer than 8 seconds at a couple of points?  Excuse the shaky hands ;)

Link here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7WeBk8eKoc&feature=youtu.be

15 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Just got back.  Both videos show Private and will not allow us to see them.

Sorry, just changed to 'unlisted' instead - should be able to view now!  Never tried to limit the view before so was bound to get it wrong :(

Let me know if you can't view still?  Same links should work.

I see them now.  It almost seems as if the Bluetooth antenna is not working.  Have you tried connecting right up close to the motherboard side of the bot?  Could be bad board.

My issue before I did the 17 beeps seemed similar, except that I could never see it show on the screen in either iOS or Android.  After doing the 17 beeps, it showed right up.  It does still take 1-3 connection attempts each time, but it's solid after connecting.

Update:

Just got back from a visit to SpeedyFeet - I was working down in the Gloucester area so took the opportunity to go and see Ian for a bit of testing to see what was going on :)

Immediately his IOS phone connected fine with my E+ and I was able to show the same issue I had yesterday on my Android phone.  We tried clearing cache's and bluetooth settings but still couldn't get the 'NineBot' app to connect at all and got the same intermittent connection via the 'NineDroid' app.  Removed the app completely and installed a new version of the 'NineBot' app - V3.2.0, which wouldn't show up yesterday when I tried to update! - still no change.

Upgraded my board to V1.3.5 via the IOS - made no difference to the BT connection but it had to be tried?  Fingers crossed it doesn't do something bad to my E+ this time as I wasn't planning on upgrading for a good couple of weeks so any issues could be known :(

Ian got his 'P' out and I found my phone could connect straight away, no problems - with both the 'Bot' and the 'Droid' apps.  Immediate connection without any losses.

He also got an alternative Android phone which connected fine to my E+

All this makes no sense - if I can connect to his 'P' then the phone and app is OK, and if he can connect to my E+ with both an IOS and Android device then there's no problem with the board in the unit BUT, for whatever reason, my phone won't connect to my E+ (since the new board was fitted the other week - before that it connected without issue).

Now it's a job of looking into somehow re-setting my phone to make sure I get rid of any 'historic' bluetooth connectivity information which could be confusing the apps somehow and Ian is looking into getting me a code to put the original serial number back into my E+ as it has a board which was already 'unlocked' so doesn't show the same one (could take a couple of days from China etc.?).

It'll be great when we get to the bottom of this one, but it's extremely confusing now that we've had the chance to try with an alternative Ninebot and alternative phones / devices etc. and got mixed results.  I won't blame any of you for suggesting we were doing something wrong here as I wouldn't believe the results either but there were two of us looking at the problem and riding around trying to get it sorted :D

That's really interesting.  If the NineBot connected as other Bluetooth devices, you could just go in and "Forget" the NineBot and start over.  Since it connects in a different manner, it must keep that info somewhere, but where???

You could try on the iPhone:

Go to Settings, General, Reset.  Select Reset Network Settings.  Enter your passcode if asked and reset.  I don't know for sure if that resets the Bluetooth radio, but it does reset the Bluetooth name of your phone.   If nothing else, your wireless network connection will be better for a while.

Edited by SuperSport

One more thing.  I was just messing with the Android Apps.  If you have either of them running in the background, they will prevent the other from connecting.  At least on my Samsung Galaxy 4.  You need to be sure they background apps are closed, then try again.  I get both NineDroid and NineBot to connect on Android as long as only ONE is open.

Yeah, I'm killing the app properly each time I switch between the two.

I can't do any testing since as I don't have an IOS device on BTv4 - only bought the new phone as I needed to see the dashboard and didn't even have an android with anything but BTv2!

It really doesn't make sense - looking into it now while it's very quiet at work - shush, don't let the boss hear me say that ;)

I've been lurking here for 6 months or so, first post finally! :)

So I too have had bluetooth issues with Android since I purchased my E+ in August.  Regardless of app (old Ninedroid app or the new Ninebot app), while I *can* pair, it *always* has to re-pair when I open the app.  This is regardless of whether or not I have a saved pairing.  Setting a pin code has no apparent effect, as when I reboot the device (as the app prompts), it still requires no pin code to pair.

I'm using an Asus Zenfone 2 (ZE551ML).  Will do some testing with my old HTC One M7 and also with an iPhone and see if things are different.  I suspect that different bluetooth stacks could have something to do with this.

Edited by reyawn
  • Upvote 1

Well that's interesting.  Tried with my old HTC One M7 and it behaves exactly the same (requiring re-pairing each time, can't set pin).

Just pulled out an iPod Touch for testing running iOS 9 - I was able to pair, and followed the prompt for setting a pin (unlike Android, it recommends setting a pin if you don't already have one which is probably a smart move).  After waiting a moment where the device seemed to hang, I got a "Password written failure!" error.  Perhaps something is wrong with my E+!  Will test with my girlfriend's iPhone 6 next.

11 minutes ago, reyawn said:

Well that's interesting.  Tried with my old HTC One M7 and it behaves exactly the same (requiring re-pairing each time, can't set pin).

Just pulled out an iPod Touch for testing running iOS 9 - I was able to pair, and followed the prompt for setting a pin (unlike Android, it recommends setting a pin if you don't already have one which is probably a smart move).  After waiting a moment where the device seemed to hang, I got a "Password written failure!" error.  Perhaps something is wrong with my E+!  Will test with my girlfriend's iPhone 6 next.

I've had "Password written failure!" quite a few times.  It will eventually take, but I don't prefer a pin because I like the immediate connection (well, after 1-3 tries), although I don't ride around other NineBot users, so don't have a need yet.  If around others, I will definitely set one.

And yes, it always needs to re-pair after the app has gone to sleep.

@DangerousDick: It's a long shot, but you could try cleaning up any data in the apps (I think the data still stays even when the app is updated, maybe even if uninstalled?) when the app is not running. Looking at my Android 4.4.2 -tablet, it's found under  Settings -> Apps -> select the app. You should get to a screen with buttons saying things like "Force stop", "Uninstall", "Clear data", "Move to SD Card", "Clear cache" etc. Try to clear data and cache, and see if it helps anything (probably not ;)).

Edited by esaj

Hi all,

I have an E+ and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and was having the same problem. With stock firmware on the phone it only seems tot connect once after a fresh flash of my phones stock ROM. After installing Cyanogenmod 12.1 firmware on the phone i have no more connection problems with the ninebot. 

I don't know which phone u have but their seems tot be an issue with ninebot and Samsungs Smart Lock software. If cyanogenmod is available for  your phone you could try if it helps :)

Thanks for the help guys - cleared the data / cache / forced stop / uninstalled.  Cleared the bluetooth stuff also (and share) of both data and cache.

Must be missing something, but haven't come across it yet - just going to look at this 'Cyanogenmod' now, not sure about an OS with 'Cyano' in the name tho ;) might get a little sticky?

FWIW, the phone I've got is a 'Doogee' Turbo Mini F1 running Android 4.4.4

Cheers, Richard.