New Ninebot! And a question about hills...

bill

Hey all!

Great community here.  Just purchased a Ninebot One E+ (shoutout to HoodRiderz) and have been having a blast riding it around.  I have two issues related to hills I was hoping for some advice on:

1) When descending a steeper hill, occasionally I'll get a steering shimmy - it becomes very hard to hold the wheel on a straight line, it wants to turn sharply in either direction and any attempt to correct it results in a snap to the other side.  I suspect this is due to the fact that the contact patch with the pavement is located further aft on the tire than normal, thus creating positive feedback when the unit starts to turn.  Any tips on how to control this?

2) Any tips on turning on a hill?  I've found turning from going uphill to downhill pretty challenging...

Thanks in advance!

Hey all!

Great community here.  Just purchased a Ninebot One E+ (shoutout to HoodRiderz) and have been having a blast riding it around.  I have two issues related to hills I was hoping for some advice on:

1) When descending a steeper hill, occasionally I'll get a steering shimmy - it becomes very hard to hold the wheel on a straight line, it wants to turn sharply in either direction and any attempt to correct it results in a snap to the other side.  I suspect this is due to the fact that the contact patch with the pavement is located further aft on the tire than normal, thus creating positive feedback when the unit starts to turn.  Any tips on how to control this?

2) Any tips on turning on a hill?  I've found turning from going uphill to downhill pretty challenging...

Thanks in advance!

Welcome bill 

And congrats on the new ninebot purchase first thing I would do is check your tire pressure. Search for the thread on this forum and see what everyone else uses, it's pretty much the same all around.

Everything is goign to be challenging at first, if you are new though, you might try reducing your tire pressure to 35psi so the tire makes more contact with the ground and get use to that.. Sometimes however that is not the problem, I for one prefer a harder t ire, now is where it is time to commit, lean like a motorcycle and tilt your weight back a bit so your toes don't dip to hard when turning down to uphill and when turning up to downhill I simply start to shift my weight backward and "pivot" sorta,  try to steer with your chest and face more than your feet and concentrate on keeping your feet straight. 

the wobbles usually come from bad foot placement, try some different ones and see what works for you. I like to ride with my feet quite forward on the pedals so the whole tow of my shoes are hanging off the front, it helps me speed up the lazy way with no leaning lol .. hope I didn't explain too horribly and cleared at least something up for you   

Is the battery close to fully charged when you feel that shimmy? If so you may be getting the warning that the battery is overcharged. If not it's probably just a case of needing to practice more. Sometimes when I ride on grooved surfaces that move in the direction of my travel, like pavers or bricks, I feel a bit of a weird motion due to the grooves, but it doesn't affect control. 

Welcome bill 
               And congrats on the new ninebot purchase first thing I would do is check your tire pressure. Search for the thread on this forum and see what everyone else uses, it's pretty much the same all around.

Everything is goign to be challenging at first, if you are new though, you might try reducing your tire pressure to 35psi so the tire makes more contact with the ground and get use to that.. Sometimes however that is not the problem, I for one prefer a harder t ire, now is where it is time to commit, lean like a motorcycle and tilt your weight back a bit so your toes don't dip to hard when turning down to uphill and when turning up to downhill I simply start to shift my weight backward and "pivot" sorta,  try to steer with your chest and face more than your feet and concentrate on keeping your feet straight. 

the wobbles usually come from bad foot placement, try some different ones and see what works for you. I like to ride with my feet quite forward on the pedals so the whole tow of my shoes are hanging off the front, it helps me speed up the lazy way with no leaning lol .. hope I didn't explain too horribly and cleared at least something up for you   

Fantastic advice!  I'll try that out tomorrow.  Thanks for the tips - and I'm right there with you, riding with toes far forward on the pedals in the only way to go  :)

Thats my riding stance. When I ride downhill I have my weight evenly on on my heels. If its on gravel the wheel wobbles a lot more so I squeeze it a bit with my calves. But its true its a little different to balance then riding on a even surface. In my experience its the transition from flat to downhill that makes or breaks my balance. I try to simply stay straight up during transition and increase or decrease after rebalancing myself. Dont decelerate right before the downhill but right after.

JndGRiv.jpg

Thanks to all!  Rode a bunch of hills today and have figured out how to avoid the steering wobble - better foot placement and a slight squeeze with the calves was all it took.  Next step: turning from uphill to downhill!

if its wide enough try figure 8's ;)

I've got those nailed on flat ground - I think my neighbors might think I'm crazy for going around my driveway in circles and figure-8's for an hour straight.  But hey, I can maneuver at low speed really well now! :)  I'll give that a shot on hills, great idea!

Thats my riding stance. When I ride downhill I have my weight evenly on on my heels. If its on gravel the wheel wobbles a lot more so I squeeze it a bit with my calves. But its true its a little different to balance then riding on a even surface. In my experience its the transition from flat to downhill that makes or breaks my balance. I try to simply stay straight up during transition and increase or decrease after rebalancing myself. Dont decelerate right before the downhill but right after.

I see that your calves are the exact shape of the Ninebot leg pads.  I conclude that you are riding too much. 

Archived