Inmotion V8 4 prong charger issue

veryfastracer

I just purchased a charger for my V8. Nothing happens when I plug it in. I was expecting to see a light turn on, but nothing comes on when I plug it into the wall.  Nothing happens with my Inmotion v8 either. 

In his review, Speedy Feet says that the light is red when charging, green when charged and no light when not working or not plugged in.  Is this accurate? Please help me figure this out.  Thank you!

5 hours ago, veryfastracer said:

I just purchased a charger for my V8. Nothing happens when I plug it in. I was expecting to see a light turn on, but nothing comes on when I plug it into the wall.  Nothing happens with my Inmotion v8 either. 

In his review, Speedy Feet says that the light is red when charging, green when charged and no light when not working or not plugged in.  Is this accurate? Please help me figure this out.  Thank you!

It's not unheard for a charger to be bad out of the box. Not common, but it does happen.

I would certainly contact your dealer if possible. But if you didn't buy it from a dealer you may have to do a little trouble-shooting on your own, and possibly buy another charger.

Without knowing a little more about your background and trouble-shooting capabilities I hesitate to offer any specific advice. Do you have a volt-ohm meter? Are you comfortable opening electronics, etc.?

Thanks for getting back to me Marty.  I just received the charger from ewheels yesterday. I do have a volt meter, but I don't want to open the charger because I'm hoping ewheels will send me another one. I was just hoping to confirm with others that if the charger is plugged into the outlet without being plugged into the wheel, the light should be on? In my case, there is no light.

Any EUC charger will usually light green if plugged into an outlet sans wheel.

I would A-B compare with another working charger (if you have) and also another power cable proven to be working (I believe the stock V8 charger uses a 3-prong grounded plug).

As you say you purchased a charger, rather than a complete wheel I'd like to confirm... you have purchased the stock black plastic 1.5A output Inmotion V8 charger and not a third party fast charger (metal body with built in cooling fan >2.5A output)? 

If the stock charger then yes, you should get a green light on the charger when you turn it on without being plugged into the wheel. I just tested and confirmed. 

If it is a fast charger... It starts to get complicated. Let me know. 

Thank you all! Yes, I only purchased a charger from ewheels, not a wheel.  It is the stock charger for inmotion. Black plastic.  I have tried different cords (computer tower type) without success. So everything is pointing to a defective charger. I have emailed Jason and I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks again!

30 minutes ago, veryfastracer said:

Thank you all! Yes, I only purchased a charger from ewheels, not a wheel.  It is the stock charger for inmotion. Black plastic.  I have tried different cords (computer tower type) without success. So everything is pointing to a defective charger. I have emailed Jason and I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks again!

Sounds like a dud. Jason will sort it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone and also make a point to thank Jason from ewheels publicly. I received the new replacement charger this past Tuesday. Plugged it in and saw the light! Plugged my wheel in and the blue battery icon came to life. V8 is now running. Now in the process of learning to ride. Awesome! Thanks to all for helping out.

47 minutes ago, veryfastracer said:

Just wanted to update everyone and also make a point to thank Jason from ewheels publicly. I received the new replacement charger this past Tuesday. Plugged it in and saw the light! Plugged my wheel in and the blue battery icon came to life. V8 is now running. Now in the process of learning to ride. Awesome! Thanks to all for helping out.

Awesome. The V8 is a beautiful machine. Pad the hell out of it while you learn and use a strap to catch it when you step off and then when you can ride competently it will still be a beautiful machine. 

Archived