I am using my mini to pull a wheelchair

i will post pucs later but i made a plate with sclarge salid bowl that fits on the base and a fiberglass molded bearinf that fits pnto an extension of th chair

i currently control extension i clampvto knee control

i want to mod it so i can use a joy stick

anyone know details of the cintrol signals needed

In another thread I asked a question on voltages of the stearing sensor, I got a reply that asked why I wanted to do it.  I tried to point them to this thread.

I looked up Hall Effect sensor Joy Sticks. it looks like they come in the same 2.5 volt center position range as standard.

I am thinking that this may be a simple conversion.

If I unplug the steering sensor, and forward and reverse sensor from the mother board, and plug in my joy stick, I think that I can make my mini work from a joy stick.

I can trace the steering sensor wires without  to much trouble.

Can anyone point me to the forward and reverse sensor?

From reading other discussions, I think that this would best be described as using it as a mule.

I am going to order a hall effect (affect?) joy stick and some connectors. Initially I will hard wire it.  I will also look at wireless joy sticks.  will see if there is a option to add on a wireless module.  If there is, I will pick it up.  If not, I will start with a wireless one.

I would consider disconnecting the sensor pads, so it does not think that anyone is on it, and using the blue tooth app, but I want more control than twhat I have on the iPhone.  It would be nice to use a joy stick with the app,. but I think that wiring it in may be a quicker mod.

16 hours ago, Wilsonintexas said:

Can anyone point me to the forward and reverse sensor?

You do not have a single forward backward sensor
This works with a gyroscope and accelerometer (gravitometer)
Here, this is glued to the housing

GravitySensor.jpg.9027009ffe4b4c79bf1393e20ae1f084.jpg

For information from the Russian Forum an "LSM6DS3" is to be installed
http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/a3/f5/4f/ae/8e/44/41/d7/DM00133076.pdf/files/DM00133076.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00133076.pdf

Donald

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Donald. I am modifying a Ninebot miniPRO for a disabled friend and I am wondering where to connect a pot Joystick. Is it done unplugging the micro plug from the board of the of the steering Hall effect sensor and connecting the joystick wires to the micro plug instead? Please let me know.

Cheers from Bruno

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:28 AM, donaldduck8 said:

Yes, exactly

In my example, the two 6.8K ohm resistors are for a 4.7K ohm poti.
Now you need to open your joystick and find out the resistance of the internal potentiomer.
If you tell me this value I can calculate you the appropriate series resistance.

Greetings Donald

I treid it and it works! Right and left turns are now by joystick. Would you know if it is possible to use the joystick for making the miniPro move forward and backward motion as well, so that with a neutral joystick position the mini pro would stand still, allowing a person to seat on the chair without moving forward or backward? I am thinking in terms of a servo control-like idea: the servo arms locks in position where ever the stick tells the servo to stay. Or if not, some kind of delay to allow the person to seat.   ????    Thank you in advance.

Cheers from Bruno

Edited by Bruno De Michelis

On 28.11.2017 at 5:01 AM, Bruno De Michelis said:

Would you know if it is possible to use the joystick for making the miniPro move forward and backward motion as well, so that with a neutral joystick position the mini pro would stand still, allowing a person to seat on the chair without moving forward or backward?

No, unfortunately that is not possible.
Forward and reverse is done by regulating the position using the gyroscope and accelerometer (LSM6DS3).
This IC is located on the motherboard labeled U9 (and not in the frame as I had described above)

The only way I think is the manipulation of I2C communication between U9 and main processor.
MainBoard1.jpg.104c568c54987876321a4573061fddfa.jpg

Do you want to build such a wheelchair?
Seat1.jpg.703bcb5eb1c02b5e681c1722010bb6bb.jpgSeat2.jpg.a49026e86406caf5746f23f430f8a2e0.jpg

http://www.funshop.at/produkt/nino-rollstuhl-weiss-blau/

There is no need for a joystick for forward and reverse, all by shifting your weight.

Greetings Donald

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that a joy stock for forward and reverse will not work.

but

you can use the blue tooth and iPhone to control it if no one is on it.

and

there are blue tooth joy sticks that connect to the iPhone. 

has anyone had luck using the blue tooth mode to connect a joy stick?  (I will be using it as a mule, so am willing to disconnect the sensors that jus=dge weight, and limit iPhone control) 

Does anyone know what it would take to develop an app that would look like an iPhone to the ninebot but be able to use a blue tooth joy stick? 

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, xaveus said:

Hello  Bruno De Michelis and donaldduck8 and Wilsonintexas   -  I'm very grateful for the information you posted in this old thread. I'm building something similar, replacing the NineBot Mini, steering bar with other sensors. Are you still active on this forum?

Hi @xaveus!

If you look on the profile pages of the members, you'll see the last time the members visited this forum. But theoreticly they could still have some email notification active...

For notification one can use the @ - no need to copy a link to a members profile site. 

• 3 months later...

Hi,  I saw a mention of a gyro and a 'gravity sensor' but I think donalduck8 might be wrong about that glued-in component, it looks like a strain-gauge to me. It's implanted into the magnesium casing to detect distortions if too much weight is applied (i.e. a lard-ass on board).

The Ninebot must have a gyro, but not sure about a gravity detector.

• 5 months later...
On 11/18/2017 at 12:28 PM, donaldduck8 said:

Yes, exactly

In my example, the two 6.8K ohm resistors are for a 4.7K ohm poti.
Now you need to open your joystick and find out the resistance of the internal potentiomer.
If you tell me this value I can calculate you the appropriate series resistance.

Greetings Donald

Hi Donald....I'm using a 10Kohms Potentiometer...what ate the series resistors? Thank you, Marcos

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi all.

I have in mind the electrification of a manual wheelchair using components from a Ninebot miniPRO that I bought with the battery dead.

The idea is to use the motors and the whole control system to install them in a manual wheelchair. And this is where my doubts begin.

As the battery is unusable I have bought a DeWalt FlexVolt battery, which can work both at 18V and 54V. In the 54V configuration it gives 4 amps, which makes 216 wh.

The original battery connector has the 2 main terminals, - and +, and 5 other thinner ones that I don't know what they control, although I guess they will be to check the battery temperature, manage the charge.... The battery I am going to use does not have temperature control and I will charge it independently. Can I leave those 5 pins without signal and connect only the + and - of the new battery to the board without problems of operation?

For the turn I have seen that there is a hall sensor, which I will move with a servo controlled by the turn-advance joy stick. The doubt comes now to control the advance. Obviously I cannot tilt the wheelchair forward or backward to move forward, brake or reverse. In a previous post I have seen that the board has a gyroscope (U9) that controls the tilt of the miniPRO and makes it go forward, brake or reverse. Is this how it works? If so I will have to mount the board on an axis to be able to tilt it forward or backward with another servo controlled by the joy stick. How many degrees of maximum tilt are needed to have maximum forward speed and maximum reverse or braking speed?

More questions. Does the self-stabilization system works only horizontally or also on slopes? Obviously I don't need it. In the case of the miniPRO, on a slope, a standing balance position is achieved by tilting it forward, but in the case of the chair, on a slope the board will be parallel to the ground and will have the same inclination, so I suppose  that the gyroscope "thinks" that I want to go reverse and the chair would go backwards having to compensate it by tilting the plate forward. Can the self-stabilization system be deactivated? In a standard electric wheelchair, when you stops placing the joy stick in neutral position, the system cuts the power to the motors and engages an electromagnetic lock on the transmission to prevent undesirable rolling.

I will have to override-bridge the foot pressure sensors so that it "believes" that both feet are on the platforms.

Nothing else for the moment.

Thank you.

Best regards.