Wanted: Training wheels for IPS

SigBoi

Hi everyone, just ordered an IPS 122 from Amazon, waiting for it to get here. I didn't know that it did not come with training wheels or safety strap until I emailed IPS. 

Does anyone one have a pair of training wheels they have no use for, maybe a safety strap? Will all the SoloWheel lookalikes like airwheel, ips, etc use the same training wheels?

Located in Seattle, WA

Thanks!

my 2c... I think you should not get training wheels (or strap) B) Since it is all about feeling the balance when you move (like a bike) I think it may even extend the learning period. Since you are in Seattle, probably the best you could do is look up Solowheel Seattle and try to schedule a $50,- lesson from 'barefoot Ted' -- he taught me for an hour and it made all the difference. Otherwise, find someone to support you at first, or borrow a shopping cart to get started.

a saftey strip is quite nice to keep scratches to your wheel and bruises on your ancles to a minimum ... its also nice if you fall off and your wheel is going towards your neighbor car ;)  But you can use an old belt/satchel straps or similar, which will work just as good ...

and dont hold on to the strap, just put the loose end in your pocket for emergency use only. this way you have both hands free to balance.

Thanks for the reply guys.  IPS replied to me that they feel like the training wheels extend the learning time, which is why they don't include any.  I thought they were just bsing to save face when Airwheel gives both, but after your comment, I think there is some logic to it.

I'm going to armor the crap out of the wheel with foam in the beginning, it'll be a rolling pillow lol.  It's mainly for my wife, she just got a new job where she has to take a ferry, then rush to her office which is 0.7 miles away within 20min with no shuttle or bus service available, and no bicycle racks.  She's been jogging it with her backpack and stuff and it's been heck on her legs.   I just want to get a good feel for it so I can help her learn, as she is the type that can give up easily if she gets frustrated.

a saftey strip is quite nice to keep scratches to your wheel and bruises on your ancles to a minimum ... its also nice if you fall off and your wheel is going towards your neighbor car ;)  But you can use an old belt/satchel straps or similar, which will work just as good ...

and dont hold on to the strap, just put the loose end in your pocket for emergency use only. this way you have both hands free to balance.

I agree with @Blunzn.  I run a dog leash through the belt loops of my pants then down to my EU.  I don't hold it while I ride but I grab it when I have one of my less than graceful step offs.  It keeps my EU from running off and hitting a curb, people, cars, etc.

I never had training wheels.  But I do tend to agree that they don't help much.  One training video that I watched said to only use them for 5 minutes.  So what's the point.

training wheels may be usefull if you're really old, have small kids or if you want to let everyone at a bbq/family reunion/... jump on, without too many crashes. :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YXC-H6JaWU 

but for learning to ride, they seem quite useless, as you dont learn how to balance left/right. Instead of unsing wheels, just hold on a wall, or use a long hallway (cellar) where you can hold on both sides. you wont fall left/right and still get your balancing skills up.

• 5 months later...

I also thought training wheels would be helpful but after trying them I immediately took them off, they are not helpful or fun even. I had difficulty using a wall to learn on because there's nothing to hold onto. I found the best thing that worked for me was a railing I could actually grab onto.  After two 1/2 hour sessions there, I was able to go a few feet and was ready to practice without anything to hold onto. I found the strap very useful, I didn't put a scratch on my wheel while learning.

I used training wheel inside the house, to get familiar with acceleration and braking. Then I inflated tyre more, to get full 20mm from those 3" wheels to floor and learned to ride strait without any contact. That took about 10x 5-10min. But outdoor those training wheels are just useless, even smallest possible grains on sand etc. will disturb. But if one don't have anything to grab or lean, just plugging in one of the wheels might help (to run circles to opposite direction maybe.. :D  )

Archived