Warning about lowbat on an e+

Jdestef

As I write this, I'm nursing a sprained ankle and skinned up arm.

I was riding on about 20% battery, which I figured was still plenty to roam around. Turns out that you don't always get 100% effort out of the unit as the battery drains. 

The warning is this: Quickly accelerating while on a < 25% battery can be too taxing for the engine and it will fail to speed up powerfully enough to stay under you and you may spill forward. I weigh only 130lbs and it spilled me out pretty good. So, accelerate with caution on lowbat, friends!

This is called "overlean," and it is a quirk common to every model of micro unicycle out there, far as I know.

Perhaps this will be engineered out of the equation? If anyone here knows about electronic cigarettes, "regulated mods" maintain the same power throughout the experience. I don't know enough to say whether a similar design could be used in micro unicycles to avoid overlean and maybe certain kinds of unexpected shutdown?

As I write this, I'm nursing a sprained ankle and skinned up arm.

Sorry to hear about your injuries, have a speedy recovery!

I was riding on about 20% battery, which I figured was still plenty to roam around. Turns out that you don't always get 100% effort out of the unit as the battery drains. 

The warning is this: Quickly accelerating while on a < 25% battery can be too taxing for the engine and it will fail to speed up powerfully enough to stay under you and you may spill forward. I weigh only 130lbs and it spilled me out pretty good. So, accelerate with caution on lowbat, friends!

Has anyone measured how low the battery voltage is near the end (or at 0%)?

This is called "overlean," and it is a quirk common to every model of micro unicycle out there, far as I know.

Perhaps this will be engineered out of the equation? If anyone here knows about electronic cigarettes, "regulated mods" maintain the same power throughout the experience. I don't know enough to say whether a similar design could be used in micro unicycles to avoid overlean and maybe certain kinds of unexpected shutdown?

Interesting. I've logged about 50 miles of practice and this was my first overlean.  I'm generally pretty aggressive on my practice circuit, too.   The night before, while I was draining the battery for the night, I noticed it was refusing to let me go fast. It would constantly tilt me back at speeds as low as 5 mph.    I wasn't trying to accelerate hard, just accelerating normally.  I think I just caught the unit off guard tonight when I gunned it. :)

This is from another thread, second hand information from Shane Chen (the inventor of Solowheel):

Shane said current wheels can still not catch you if you just fully lean forward for example; even 1800W motor is not enough. You need at least 3000W to make a very robust version -- with full uncontrolled leaning forward, you may need up to 10.000W to catch that. In the future with better batteries this may come some day. 

Archived