Noise when I brake on Rockwheel GT16 v2

Jaumebyn

Hey there 

I am a happy new owner of a Rockwheel GT16 v2 

My problem is a noise when I strong brake or climb a steep street. It is like a cicada..

My seller told me that it's normal, that some rockwheels do this noise more than others..

What do you think? Do your rockwheels do that noise?

IMG_0706.MOV

14 hours ago, Jaumebyn said:

Hey there 

I am a happy new owner of a Rockwheel GT16 v2 

My problem is a noise when I strong brake or climb a steep street. It is like a cicada..

My seller told me that it's normal, that some rockwheels do this noise more than others..

What do you think? Do your rockwheels do that noise?

From Gotways something like this was reported (was more like a very fast tak-tak-tak and not this chirping sound) and the official response to this was the firmware current limit at ~120A is responsible for this sounds...

The firmware current limiting cuts of at one pulse, the rotor (coils) "slip" and get "caught" again with the next pulse  (or something like this...) Could be also "feelable" - some small vibrations while it chirps?

5 minutes ago, Jaumebyn said:

That is true, some vibrations when decelerating.

Should i worry?

I don't want to fall down at high speed..

As I understand it, it only happens when you're actually going slow. In the end phase of breaking and when going uphill slowly?

If so, it kind of makes sense, since those are situations where the current spikes can be pretty awesome unless they're regulated some way. Use the app and watch the amp-meter while breaking. While this doesn't show the current from the board to the motor, but rather from the cells to the board, you should still see if there is a high current when you hear the sound.

Personally I haven't had the problem on my GT16, but I would probably find it more annoying than scary.

11 minutes ago, Jaumebyn said:

That is true, some vibrations when decelerating.

Should i worry?

I don't want to fall down at high speed..

If this vibrations while decelerating are when the wheel starts to chirp it's a sign (if the above explanation is true) that you are on the very limit of braking - if you try to brake harder it just won't happen und you could fall on your back...

1 minute ago, Scatcat said:

... Use the app and watch the amp-meter while breaking. While this doesn't show the current from the board to the motor, but rather from the cells to the board, you should still see if there is a high current when you hear the sound.

EUC's have to measure the motor current for their operation. So KS and GW show the motor current in the app - they saved one shunt at the battery side...

Could be that Rockwheel shows the motor current, too?

Since the GT16 should have a continous power of about 2000W and 84V battery - battery current should be around 23A. Maybe some max spikes around 40A. If the app shows higher values (going up slowly steep inclines) it's the motor current.

18 minutes ago, Chriull said:

EUC's have to measure the motor current for their operation. So KS and GW show the motor current in the app - they saved one shunt at the battery side...

Could be that Rockwheel shows the motor current, too?

Since the GT16 should have a continous power of about 2000W and 84V battery - battery current should be around 23A. Maybe some max spikes around 40A. If the app shows higher values (going up slowly steep inclines) it's the motor current.

Might be, have to spy the numbers the next time I go out climbing.

Archived